Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Parenting Thread • Page 64

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Fucking Dustin, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Zip It Chris

Be kind; everyone is on their own journey.

There is a kid in my sons grade that has been bullying kids every year. They're in 3rd grade now, but he's still an issue. He is extremely rough, will violently knock kids down, has grabbed my son by the throat, and we have been in constant communication with the school about it. We are friends with multiple others that he has hurt as well, in which parents have called to complain, but not much was being done as our son would come home with a new story every week. Finally, my wife got to the point where she gave no fucks, and told the school how they would handle it. It was a professional, but strong message, and since that day, the bully has been assigned an aid in class, at recess, and at lunch, and there have been no more instances that I've heard.

On the other side of the coin: This kid has a rough life, his parents aren't involved, don't care, and he's left to roam the neighborhood on his own without any parental guidance whatsoever. I don't blame the kid for how he is with others, because he's had no guiding principles on how to interact with others. He needs someone to teach him, and lead him toward proper social etiquette, and I hope the school treats him in that manner as opposed to passing judgement. I met my son for lunch last week, and the kid was sitting at their table, being goofy while the other kids laughed, but you could still tell they are reserved around him to avoid any outburst. This is progress though, and I am hopeful the kid can join a classroom without supervision in the near future.

2. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

So my son has been potty trained for the past 14-15 months but was still wearing a pull-up to bed. About three or four weeks ago, we cut those off cold turkey and we are trying to train him to get up in the middle of the night to go pee in the bathroom. It's been very hard. He wakes up most mornings wet and we have to wash his sheets every single day. Maybe once or twice a week, he'll stay dry but we feel like we aren't really getting anywhere.

How has everyone else done the overnight potty training? I don't really know what else we can do aside from literally waking him up at 2 or 3 a.m. to take him to the bathroom (which my wife has been doing some nights).

popdisaster00 and Nate_Johnson like this.
  3. bones Sep 20, 2018
    (Last edited: Sep 20, 2018)
    bones

#HEEL

Wife hit 35 weeks yesterday so with a month to go we've officially reached the "crippling fear" portion of this pregnancy so things are going well ha ha

[​IMG]

ncarrab and awwgereee like this.
  4. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

How old is your son?
    We are potty training our son who is about 2 1/2 years old and he is about 75% there and has a few accidents but does where a pull up to bed. Boys do take longer than girls on average.

5. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

He just turned 4. He's been potty trained during the day since he was about 2 1/2 (he had to be in order to send him to preschool). He's been fine during the day for almost a year and a half. But we left the pull-ups on him at night. Probably should have tried to stop the pull-ups a long time ago.

6. Yeah my son is 4 and still wears pull-ups to bed. And he definitely pees in those every night. Hmm..I better think about next steps haha

7. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

My wife and I have been waking my son up in the middle of the night to get him to go pee, which is helping. He doesn’t remember it the next morning.

8. my daughter started preschool this month, I don't know where the time goes

9. im getting a vasectomy tomorrow

scott likes this.
  10. popdisaster00 likes this.
  11. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

popdisaster00 likes this.
  12. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

I need to schedule an appointment to get mine

13. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I pray none of you had the experience that I had, haha.

14. What happened?

15. Just left the clinic after my procedure. I feel dizzy lol

16. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I just had a weird, abnormal recovery. Going to spoiler because it's not for everyone.

The actual procedure was fine (a little discomfort, but no pain or anything). I was in and out, drove myself. I told my wife not to come with me (which the doctor said I was fine to drive by myself.) Spent that entire day icing on and off for like, 13 hours. Felt great that day and the next two days. Did pretty much everything I was supposed to do (iced, rested). Then on Day 4 (when most people are completely fine by then) I started to get way worse. It started to feel super sensitive and tender and uncomfortable to the point where I was like bedridden for another 4 to 5 days. I kept calling the doctor back telling him my concerns and he insisted that everything was fine and normal. I was complaining so much that after 10 days or so, my wife called a second, random doctor to see if my experience was normal and they said yes, but offered to see me anyway. That doctor too said everything was normal.

At two weeks, I started resuming normal activities (running, basketball) and started to feel better but soon after that, the surgery site/bump was getting completely out of control - literally grew to the size of a golf ball and was rock hard and dark red. I called my doctor (who was surely sick of me at this point) and was like 'you don't understand, this is NOT normal' and he saw me the next day. Before I went to see him, I woke up that morning and it started to pus up and he confirmed it was an infection. I asked how it got infected and he said 'it just happens' and told me I was 1 in 50 patients to get an infection. It was likely infected the entire time, thus all the pain and abnormal feelings I had - but couldn't be seen for a few weeks from the naked eye. I'm not going to get into details as to what he did for the infection but it was FAR WORSE than the actual vasectomy procedure and it required antibiotics and another few days of rest/recovery, which was not comfortable.

This was six months ago. Overall from start to finish (including the infection) my total recovery was a good 4 to 5 weeks - far longer than most people. But I was back to running, basketball, exercising just fine after that. No scar and completed the two sterile tests perfectly at the 6 and 8 week marks (or whatever it was). It's a distant memory now, but that first month was awful and I fell down terrible google/internet forums about awful recoveries and I thought I was never going to be the same again, haha. But by 5-6 weeks, it was like nothing ever happened.

fredwordsmith and Brent like this.
  17. Holy shit, man!

18. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

19. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

How are you feeling now? Like others, I need to make an appointment as well. In fact, I think I'll call my doctor today to make the preliminary appointment. I've been thinking about it for a while now, just need to pull the trigger on it. I think most of you are around the same age as me (32), no regrets?

20. Still a little sore. But overall I’m fine. The worst part was the procedure itself. Today there’s some soreness and mild bruising. Kind of just feels like I got kicked in the crotch, haha. My wife just laughs because she understands the ridiculousness of me wincing over this while she gave birth twice.

I’m 29, btw, but we’ve always known that two kids would be it for us.

21. Zip It Chris

Be kind; everyone is on their own journey.

This should be renamed the No More Parenting Thread...da dun tishhhhhhhh

Brent and David Parke like this.
  22. But for those of you that are planning on doing it, I’d say just do it. It was fine.

Brent likes this.
  23. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Just called my primary doctor, appointments on Tuesday. First step done!

What else can you tell us? How long was the procedure? Did they put you under? Were you able to walk and then drive home afterwards?

24. It was about 25 minutes. I wasn’t put under. Two shots of local anesthesia. You’re basically laying on a bed staring up at the ceiling while they do this. You are able to walk afterwards. I think some people do drive home afterwards, but I came with my wife. I was glad I did because for some reason I was way too dizzy to drive home after we wrapped up. I don’t know if that was stress induced or if the anesthesia had anything to do with it. Basically felt like I had a couple beers in me for the first hour or two after the procedure. Wife drove us home, I took some Tylenol, and camped up on the couch all day yesterday with an ice pack.

25. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Are all of y'all's wives/significant others just against birth control? I'm trying to figure out why a vasectomy was the ultimate solution to stop having kids.