Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Parenting Thread • Page 63

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Fucking Dustin, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Blink 182 and Yo Gabba Gabba

David Parke likes this.
  2. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

The new Drake, which is so funny cause we never listen to rap/R&B. Likes the Arcade Fire a lot, Hang Me Up to Dry by Cold War Kids.

David Parke likes this.
  3. Zip It Chris

Be kind; everyone is on their own journey.

My life:

4. Zip It Chris

Put a GoPro in there and just see what happens...

David Parke, ncarrab and bones like this.
  5. Zip It Chris

I use Julien Baker to put my daughter asleep, she's 14 months, and it's worked since she was like 2 weeks old...

Kingjohn_654 and David Parke like this.
  6. Zip It Chris

Here's my crew:

upload_2018-7-30_9-19-16.png

7. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

Go Broncos

Chris Prindle likes this.
  8. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

On the way home from daycare yesterday, after playing my son's favorite song (Dead South - In Hell I'll Be In Good Company), U2 "White As Snow" came on and after a seconds he says "I like this....". Then another 30 or so seconds and he goes "I really like this song, daddy..."

bachna84 and Nyquist like this.
  9. SoCoWilderNeSs Aug 9, 2018
    (Last edited: Aug 9, 2018)
    SoCoWilderNeSs

Regular Supporter

My first time venturing into these parts. My daughter is a 3-nager who’s favorite word is no.

I love her to death but man is parenting hard. Much love to all the parents out there trying their hardest to not fuck up their children. Keep up the effort.

Oh and in the spirit of this being a music site I must add that my daughters favorite song has been”Brooklyn” by Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness for forever now and while I love me some Andrew that is maybe the only song in his entire discography that I hate with a passion. She sings, “Brooklyn, Brooklyn my Dear” and the “you’re killing me” parts and I can’t help but think yes, Hailey, you really are killing me.

10. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

My wife and I aren't having any more kids so now that my daughter is about to turn 1, it's so exciting to finally get rid of all these large baby toys that have been taking up so much space (exersaucer, walkers, pack and play, etc) for the past four years.

11. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Hope you guys were able to find a pack of 12x18 construction paper :redanger:

12. JulieLynn

Karma is the Guy On The Chiefs Supporter

He's so darn cute I can't even!

Hey, did you find out the sex of baby #2 yet?

aspeedomodel likes this.
  13. JulieLynn

So this is where all my parent friends are these days

awwgereee likes this.
  14. aspeedomodel

We did. I'll send you a link on FB, there was a video we did with the announcement.

15. JulieLynn

OMG yay! I want to know if I was right!

16. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Son turns 4 tomorrow. Time is flying.

My daughter turned 1 on August 17. Crazy how fast everything is going. She's also still not walking independently (except taking a few steps here and there). My son started walking right before he turned one.

Colby Searcy and awwgereee like this.
  17. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I know most of our kids are young but anyone have to deal with any bullying issues yet?

My son is in his second year of preschool. When my wife went to pick him up yesterday she overheard the teacher telling a child’s parents that their son, Tristan, hit a kid during the school day and that the parents need to tell him how to behave, etc. So on the drive home my wife asked my son who Tristan hit and he said ‘me, he hit me like this’ and showed my wife how he got hit.

Thing is, this same kid was in my son’s class last year and my son always complained about him being mean last year. He says he doesn't like Tristan and doesn't know why he's mean. Now, these kids are only 3/4 years-old, so I don't know if I'd call it bullying or just toddlers being toddlers, but he's always talking about Tristan and doesn't tell us about any other kids being this mean.

My wife e-mailed the teacher yesterday and said this was a problem last year too and she wanted to make sure the teachers were aware. The teacher called my wife and said she never saw our son get hit (apparently he hit multiple kids) and basically said we need to teach our son to speak up and if something happens to tell a teacher because they didn't even know about it and/or say something back to the kid. I do agree, my son can get very shy and is extremely non confrontational. He will shut down if a kid takes his toy or pushes him or whatever. I've noticed even when we go to festivals/fairs and we're in line for rides, he just lets kids cut in front of him or if kids are in line to get snacks at parties or something, he just lets kids bulldoze to the front and he's always the last to get whatever they're getting.

What really broke my heart though was last night I was reading my son his bed time book. I read him The Book With No Pictures for the first time ever and he loved it. He thought it was hilarious. When I was done he told me 'I'm going to tell all my friends about this silly book when I go back to school. I'm even going to tell Tristan and hopefully he'll be nice to me and stop being mean.'

18. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

That's so upsetting to read, and I hope things can get better for your little one!

It's definitely something I'm afraid of, not just bullying, but how my son will react. Will he tell us? Will he keep it a secret and we'll never know? Will he cry and not be friends with everyone out of fear of being bullying again? It's scary to think about, but a very real thing.

ncarrab and aspeedomodel like this.
  19. aspeedomodel

My son is a little too young, but he's definitely gotten into spats with kids at his old daycare. Truly worry about bullying and hope I can help him know how to properly respond.

I have found teacher's in a very general sense are very bad about this when it's such a young age...also very frustrating.

ncarrab likes this.
  20. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

First off, that is not an acceptable response from the teacher.
    Second, if an incident happens at school, no matter what it is, they are required by law to file an incident report.

I would ask to speak with management and then if it continues, pull him from the school. No child should ever be subjected to bullying, no matter 2 years or 10 years old.

ncarrab likes this.
  21. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Yes, this is my biggest fear too. My son just gets so shy that I know he's not speaking up for himself. He has come home before with scrapes or bruises (playground injuries) and we'll ask him what happened and he'll tell us and we'll be like 'did you tell your teacher' and he says no. Like last year, he came home with a huge splinter in his hand and didn't say anything.

We told him the importance of speaking up when someone hits him, to both the teacher and to the kid. He says he's going to start doing it, but we'll see...

22. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I'm actually the Marketing and Communications Director for the school district. His preschool is housed at one of our schools, but our District does not manage it. It's managed by our county's Educational Service Center. Our School District is taking over the preschool program starting next year (which my son will do a 3rd year of preschool due to his bday being in September) because we do not like how they manage it. We always have problems with the way they have run things.

His teacher from last year, who he was supposed to have again this year, quit two weeks before school started so they had to scramble to hire his current teacher, who seems very overwhelmed right now. I talk often with our District's Director of Student Services, who works with the county's Educational Service Center on this kind of stuff, and she has passed on many of my concerns.

I already feel like that parent, but I definitely have my concerns.

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  23. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

If it warranted, you should be THAT parent. I feel like it's pertinent in this situation.

ncarrab likes this.
  24. Zip It Chris

When I ask my 16 mo. old daughter if she's stinky, she holds up her index finger to her mouth and says 'shhh' and then runs away.

aspeedomodel likes this.
  25. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

We have parent/teacher conferences Thursday. I've never felt like such a parent than seeing that on the calendar.

aspeedomodel likes this.