Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Parenting Thread • Page 60

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Fucking Dustin, Mar 16, 2016.

1. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

He turns 4 in September. I assume both of these leagues will mostly be kids just running around and not really doing much athletic competition, haha. For T-ball, we signed him up with his cousin (who just turned 4) and they're like obsessed with each other, so at least he'll go in it with someone he's really comfortable with. Soccer I'm a little more nervous about because he likely won't know anyone.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  2. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

My wife takes him to story time every week at the Library and during the summer every so often Little Gym comes and he LOVES IT! He's the little guinea pig to show the example. We looked into it but it's expensive around us and my in-laws nixed paying for it, so we didn't.

I'm sure yours will love it though

3. Colby Searcy

This sounds great though just watching all these kids running around crazy. I'm glad to hear it isn't competitive because Imo there's leagues out there that take it way too seriously for that age

awwgereee likes this.
  4. Colby Searcy

Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there!

5. Colby Searcy

Going through old pics of my son and came across my absolute favorite pic of him ever:
    33322.jpeg

6. Colby Searcy

Also came across a video of him laughing that brings me to tears

7. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

Kid turned 2 months old today. Gave her a bath and blow-dry'd afterwards...

[​IMG]

8. That’s some hair!

Colby Searcy and EarthShifts like this.
  9. Colby Searcy

Good god thats a ton of hair!

Cute chubby face too

10. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

I was doing some work on the computer and there was a clicking sound coming from behind me, like consistently. Turn around and I see this.
    [​IMG]

Colby Searcy, scott and awwgereee like this.
  11. ncarrab Jun 27, 2018
    (Last edited: Jun 28, 2018)
    ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Do you guys have big birthday parties for your kids every year?

My son is turning 4 in September, and for the first time, we're considering just doing a super small - immediate family type -of party for him. Every year, we say we're going to invite less people, but then we start looking at our lists and there are people we just can't cut out if we invite others (whether it close friends, or others who always invite us to their kids parties) and his parties end up being like 70/80 people (kids included).

What's harder is, our daughter turns 1 in August - 2 1/2 weeks before my son's birthday so we're having a huge, normal bash for her, and we don't want to host another party for the same people just 3 weeks later (starting next year, we're going to combine parties for the both of them, but with this being her 1st birthday party, we wanted it to be her big bash).

Then on top of that, I think my son is expecting a big party because he talks about it often but we just don't know where to cut people off. Curious to see how others do birthdays.

David Parke and Kingjohn_654 like this.
  12. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

For our daughter's first two we had pretty big parties inviting most of our family and friends. This year we just did our immediate and my wife's best friend who has two kids the same age as ours and it was so much nicer. We were always so stressed for the first two that we barely even enjoyed them but this year we just ordered some pizzas and it was so much more relaxing. I think next year we might just do it at an indoor playground by us and let them take care of all the food and cleanup haha.

I'm not sure what we're going to do for our other daughter's 1st in October but I'm thinking it will be somewhere in between size wise, and Halloween themed.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  13. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Ideally, we'd just invite our close friends who have kids but my wife and I each have like 5 to 6 very close friends with kids my son's age and they all invite us to their stuff, so it's like there's no middle ground. And then, my best friend doesn't even hae a kid, but I feel bad not inviting him because he's still friends with every one else I'd invite. Plus my wife and I both have a lot of cousins and aunts/uncles and it's just a mess trying to figure it all out. I fear my son will be very, very disappointed with just an immediate family type of party, especially after he sees his sister have a huge party just a few weeks prior.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  14. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

We didn't have a party for his first or second year, won't have one for his third either. Sorry Ash! :blush:

David Parke likes this.
  15. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

We did a pretty big party for our son's 1st year. 2nd we just had family over.

He turns next week and we'll be visiting family in PR, so we'll probably do a small thing with them. We had said after the big bash and smaller bash at 2, we'd be done and just do small things.

16. Colby Searcy

To me first birthday is the big one. Afterwards just do whatever until they are school aged and can have people over

awwgereee likes this.
  17. David Smith

Happened to stumble across this forum so figured I would write something.

My girlfriend and I found out at the end of April that she is pregnant. We only began dating in February so this news was all a bit shocking for the two of us. All is well, however; we found out last week we will be having a girl and we are both very excited and all is well between the two of us. Wanted to see if anyone on here has by chance found themselves in a similar situation and could perhaps offer any wisdom for a soon-to-be dad?

18. My son turns 4 tomorrow!

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  19. Nyquist

I must now go to the source Supporter

My wife’s water broke this morning. Heading to the hospital now to bring our daughter, Olive, into this crazy world.

20. That’s our daughter’s name. Good luck today!

21. Nyquist

Really? Good name! And thank you!

Colby Searcy and popdisaster00 like this.
  22. Yeah, and today is actually her first day going to daycare. Ugh. It hurts.

Kingjohn_654 and Colby Searcy like this.
  23. Nyquist

That was how we felt on my son’s first day of daycare. It gets easier over time, but that little twinge of sorrow when you drop them off never really goes away. One step further away from you every day.

24. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

We'd love to help, but can you be more specific? As far as pregnancy goes, be very supportive. She's going to start going through a lot of changes, she might yell, be angry, uncomfortable, not her usual self, etc. Just be supportive. Over communicate her needs, take good care of yourself and her, get rest!

After the baby is born, I'm sure we can all help you out there as well.

25. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

I guess the grass is always greener. My parents watch Ash Wednesday-Friday. I wake up around 6, leave for work around 730, hour commute both ways, get back to my parents around 5. All I want to do is be home and take off my shoes and relax, but I feel like I have to stay at my moms and entertain her and give her some company before I leave. So I stay there for 30-45 min before heading home. Not to mention, she has him all day. When I get there, I want to spend time with him and hang out and play. My moms so possessive and even when I'm there will constantly be like "Ash, come here and look at this!" I just want to say, piss off mom you've been with him all day, let me spend time with him. We've thought about daycare that's closer to home, and we'd have the ability to just drop off, leave, pick up, leave. No BSing and more time for us.