Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Parenting Thread • Page 59

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Fucking Dustin, Mar 16, 2016.

1. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

So, Wednesday night my 9-month old daughter fell down an entire flight of steps. Perhaps the single most scariest moment of my life. My wife and I didn't see it either so we have no idea how she fell, or how bad it was, or what she even really hit, but long story short is, I went into my basement and shut the door behind me to go grab something really quick. Unbeknownst to me, my 3-year-old opened the door and met me downstairs but left the door open. My wife was upstairs changing and next thing I knew I heard a clap and ran to the bottom of the steps and my daughter was lying on the ground essentially hyperventilating because she wanted to cry so hard but couldn't because she was so terrified.

She didn't lose consciousness (thank God) and honestly had no scratches or bruises or red marks and after a few minutes was acting completely normal. Laughing, crawling, moving, furniture walking, grabbing, etc. A complete miracle. I have no idea how she didn't get a major injury (thankfully, steps were carpeted and we have a heavy fluffy rug at bottom of steps). I don't know if she just kind of slid down or tumbled down, but it's absolutely frightening to think about and my wife and I feel terrible that we allowed it to happen.

My wife called the doctor on call right away and they gave us things to look out for and everything and there were no red flags and she's been completely normal ever since. But my God, the image of turning that basement corner and seeing my daughter on the floor at the bottom of the steps will forever haunt me.

2. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

It seems like small children are really resilient when it comes to falls like this, pretty insane.

Glad she seems okay and wasn't injured

3. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

All good news! Glad she's okay.

4. awwgereee

So glad she's okay!

5. Nyquist

I must now go to the source Supporter

This is literally one of my worst nightmares. Sometimes I think about all the horrifying things that could happen to my kid and this is one of them. So glad she’s okay!

6. My boy fell down the stairs once, too. He was horrified but not injured. It was really scary for us. We actually had the gate up but he pushed it over. Check those gates, folks.

7. paperlung

there's no place like my room Supporter

How do you parents feel about putting pictures of your young kids/babies on social media? It's something that I think will be a point of contention with my gf if the having children discussion ever comes into play. I think it's something that would really bother me.

Kingjohn_654 and Colby Searcy like this.
  8. I do it rarely. Only on Instagram which is private for close friends and family.

Kingjohn_654 and Colby Searcy like this.
  9. Colby Searcy

Our 2 1/2 year old we rarely did at all, the 2 month old I've been posting pics of left and right (but I also include my son as well).

Right now my social media presence is entirely of my kids because I don't care about anything else about social media.

I'm a very open person so don't really care what people know or see, but I'm sure I'm in the minority

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  10. EarthShifts

Trusted

I don’t have kids yet, but I’ve already told my sister that I don’t want photos of them all over social media when the time comes. It just would weird me out I think, especially because I’m not on any social media so I have no idea who’d actually be seeing them. I work with people who just save photos of random people’s kids that they don’t even know and that bothers me.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  11. EarthShifts

Trusted

Also, update on my situation after our miscarriage last week. My wife was in a lot of pain but is feeling better. This might weird people out, but you still have to pass the gestational sac during it, and she was able to collect it when it happened. We had a rose bush we hadn’t planted yet so we planted it in our backyard and buried the sac with it. It just felt like something we needed to do to help with the grieving process.

Her Hcg levels are almost down to 0 and our doctor said we can start trying again soon, so fingers crossed.

12. Nyquist

I must now go to the source Supporter

My sister in-law actually did the same exact thing. They buried it in the garden and, since it was too early to tell the gender, they chose to name the baby Eden since it could work for either. Now they have their “Garden of Eden” in the yard.

13. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

My kids slept until 8AM. That never happens.

14. Love those days.

Kingjohn_654 and awwgereee like this.
  15. Wife just left and will be gone for like 4 hours. I have the baby, our 4 year old, 2 dogs, and I’m on call for work (remote email/phone stuff)

I need 2 more arms

16. Yo it’s 7:59am and both of my kids are still asleep

17. Colby Searcy

Anybody have a toddler that puts everything in their mouth? This just started back up about a month ago and I don't understand why

awwgereee likes this.
  18. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Does he have all of his teeth?

19. Colby Searcy

Sure does, all molars are in! Didn't start to afterwards really

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  20. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

It could be a behavioral thing. It should hopefully go away.

21. Colby Searcy

I'm sure it will, is just irritating. Hoping his behavior changes once the baby is a bit more independent

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  22. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

My son starts t-ball this week and soccer next week. Should be interesting.

23. Colby Searcy

How old is he again?

We signed my son up for T-Ball starting in the Fall. It starts on his 3rd birthday, I'm kinda anxious about how well it'll go

popdisaster00 and Nate_Johnson like this.
  24. Watching 3 year olds play t-ball must be awesome haha.

I haven't signed my son up for any sports yet..should probably get on that. I actually think he would love gymnastics.

awwgereee and Colby Searcy like this.