Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Parenting Thread • Page 5

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Fucking Dustin, Mar 16, 2016.

1. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

We did cosleeping and that basically meant I went to bed when she did. I tried to stay awake so I could get out of bed when she fell asleep, but I always ended up falling asleep first.

Not really something she said, but she had a toy that pumps in an up & down motion (I think it was one of those water squirters) and she had it in her lap pumping it and grinning. Of course she didn't know why we found that hilarious, but she liked the attention

Colby Searcy likes this.
  2. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

Subbing to this thread. We have a 10 month old daughter and I'm still amazed at how fast the time has gone and scared for how fast she's going to keep growing up. I was lucky at my job and they let me change my schedule to do 4 10 hour days so I get every Friday off, and it's just her and I then and it's my favorite day of the week.

3. Selkies

That guy looks familiar

My kid is gonna be 2 in June. We're sitting her watching Toy Story 2 and eating Easy Mac for lunch. No complaints from me.

scott, JimmyIymmiJ, awwgereee and 2 others like this.
  4. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

All of these are out of context but
    "Go away, weiner!"
    "I want YOU to blow me"
    "I need you to get da fukkin bag"
    "My turtle is a dog today"
    "Mommy is old like a dinosaur!"
    "Daddy died. Get me orange juice."

5. JimmyIymmiJ

Music, a steady riot in my soul. Prestigious

I need to think of some to post in here. My daughter is hilarious and has an excellent vocabulary for a 4 year old which makes it even funnier.

6. JimmyIymmiJ

Ah the Toy Story days. My daughter LOVED them so much. She would watch 1 and 2, but only half of 3 because Lotso scared her. It was like a big deal the first time she made it through 3.

7. Selkies

That guy looks familiar

I'm so excited for my son to begin talking. All he says now is "yea" and "momo" for both milk and movie.

8. JimmyIymmiJ

It's funny, at one point we were concerned because she wasn't talking, and now she never stops!

9. JimmyIymmiJ

Apparently the big talk at preschool today was one girl telling another girl to "shut up and dance," only to be reprimanded by the other girl for using a bad word. My daughter got caught in the middle of it by informing them that "it's just a song." That whole conversation just made my day.

10. SLADE775

RiverCityScumbags Prestigious

This is weird.

Henry likes this.
  11. ClarettsGreyGoose

I wish I had changed my user name... Prestigious

I should sub to this. I have a 16 month old (can't wait until 18 months so I can start using whole numbers) who is...quite the handful.

We started him at daycare at 6 weeks when mom had to go back to work. He's been pretty advanced with a lot of milestones...that's not gone over well with the few friends we have who also have kids, which sucks. It's not a competition, you know? Sorry your 2 year old doesn't speak and has to go to speech therapy and my kid's over here just babbling away...I didn't do it to smite you.

Either way, he's pretty cool. 14 teeth already with two more canines on their way in, great eater, great sleeper for the most part...and just a total sweetheart. Last night he picked up his interactive Elmo toy my parents got him, I put it on the nap time setting, and he gave Elmo a big bear hug, then rocked back and forth a few times and laid down and snuggled the damn thing. It got pretty dusty in the room when he did that.

12. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

I have ALOT of people i know that had kids around our age and just talking with people at work with kids a little older and I hate how everybody has an opinion on what you should do and yada yada. Every child is different, they all learn at different speeds, and alot of times there is nothing that can really be done they have there own little personality and you have to deal with it.

13. ClarettsGreyGoose

Exactly, its really tough for us. Like we don't compare Patrick to our friend's 3 year old or the other couple's 2 year old, but when he hits milestones before their kid did, they get all huffy about it. I have no doubt daycare is a huge influence on him being at the stage he's at, but I don't judge those friends or their kids for when they hit the milestones, I don't know why they have to do it. I'm just trying to have an adult friendship, not a better kid competition.

14. Colby Searcy

I mean I get the whole wanting to see how your child lines up with another one around their age, especially if the parents are close in age with yourselves too but yeah it's always hard doing that cuz it can come off as bragging or whatnot and typically that's not the intention. It's one of those things like, You asked so i'm gonna tell you but don't get upset if you don't like the answer haha.

15. awwgereee

We had a two month check up today and someone got three shots. It was so hard to see him cry like that, even though I was holding him and talking to him. He was looking me in the eyes the whole time and I felt like my heart was breaking :(

16. ClarettsGreyGoose

Just wait until about 12 months when they're old enough to figure it out and you get that death stare of betrayal. Its awful

JimmyIymmiJ likes this.
  17. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

I have a 5 month old. We never put him in and rock and play type thing, he's been in his crib or our bed since week 4 (first for weeks was a bassinet). Our nightly routine used to be

1. Diaper Change
    2. Read a book
    3. Breast feed
    4. Hold/rock to sleep
    5. Put in crib - sleeping

The trouble was, if he wasn't out cold, he'd wake up crying the second you put him down. This resulted in us holding him for another 20 minutes until he fell back asleep. This could have went on for 2-3 times a night. He'd then wake up every 2.5-3 hours in the night crying, my wife would then bring him in our bed, because it was the only way he would stop crying and everyone could get a decent night sleep.

I had enough of him in the bed, because I think it's a bad habit and I wanted it to stop. I convinced her to do Ferber method. After a lot of arguing (good arguing, not heated), she agreed to give it a shot. I even suggested she stayed at her moms house so she wouldn't have to deal with the struggle of him crying it out. She said she was strong enough to do it. So now the routine was to be this.

1. Read a book
    2. Breast feed
    3. Diaper change (this keeps him awake after eating)
    4. Put in crib - awake

That was about 3 weeks ago, and every night he fusses for less than 3 minutes and then he's out cold. He also sleeps from 8PM - 530AM. It was the best thing we could have done for him. We put him in the crib without anything - no pacifier, no swaddle, nothing. It took him 2-3 nights to figure it out, but he's been sleeping like a champ since.

We just put towels/blankets underneath to elevate it ever so slightly. It's a cheaper option. ;-)

Did you swaddle with blankets? They have velcro swaddles out there that basically are straitjackets. We used the "SwaddleMe" for a few months before getting rid of them completely.

SwaddleMe Original Swaddle, 1-Pack, Sage, Large - Walmart.com

18. Colby Searcy

Glad y'all finally figured something out and he sleeps for a good period of time.
    We had those SwaddleMe's as well and it didn't do shit he'd either a)scream his head off until we undid it or b)figured out a way to get an arm out.

19. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Haha, oh yeah, he definitely got an arm out almost every time. We eventually just put him in the sleeveless one because the other was a waste of time.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  20. mybreakingpoint

The Greatest Escapegoat

My boy turned five years old yesterday. We had a party Wednesday at my mother's with some family and a couple of his friends. Then last night we took him to the ball game. Before that though, we get a call from my mother who says a letter was sent home from school with him from one of his teachers. Apparently, he won some sort of art contest for his grade city-wide. So out of all the Pre-K students in the City of Tulsa Public Schools system. his colored picture won. So now they're going to have an awards ceremony at the local Bar Foundation and he'll get a check for $35. That's after having been named March Student of the Month on the 1st of this month. Needless to say, I'm pretty proud of my buddy.

My second (also a son) is due June 8th. We're naming him Arthur. Got the crib set up, and most everything we need except a new highchair. I can't wait. Five years between kids (we weren't married when the first came, but we're married now) is a pretty big age gap, but we're hopeful our first is good-natured enough (better than I was toward my brother with a 4 year gap) that they'll get along okay.

Also, I made this video Thursday night for the grandparents and relatives. I've never made anything like this and it's pretty choppy, but I like it. It has at least 2-4 pictures from every month of his life, April, 2011-April, 2016, along with some videos.

21. Colby Searcy

Anybody in here actually NOT breastfeed their child? Sometimes I feel like we are the only ones that didn't and get judged for it.

Snewt likes this.
  22. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

Trying to get my almost two year old to start wearing clothes again. With his mom being pregnant and me working six days a week, he's been in a diaper for months, rarely needing to get dressed. We just haven't had the energy to get him dressed. He has been throwing tantrums when we try and get him ready. So this week we bought him clothes that are more fun and it's totally working. He loves his Spider-Man socks, Mickey Mouse shirts, ninja turtles sunglasses, and batman shoes.

awwgereee and Colby Searcy like this.
  23. Snewt

Does whatever a spider can. Prestigious

We didn't. We also have a few friends that are horrified that we didn't, but whatever. My wife tried, and just wasn't comfortable with it, so we moved on to formula.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  24. Colby Searcy

Glad to hear! Yeah my wife didn't try but beforehand it caused much anxiety thinking about it. Luckily her dr and all but 1 nurse was cool with it and wasn't pushy about it.

Snewt likes this.
  25. Now that it's finally starting to get warm in the Boston area, we can go outside to play! Here's one from yesterday:

[​IMG]