Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Parenting Thread • Page 4

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Fucking Dustin, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Yeah I told my girlfriend about this discussion last night and she downloaded it on her phone to check it out, looks cute! Thanks for the tip!

JimmyIymmiJ likes this.
  2. Nyquist

I must now go to the source Supporter

I have a six month old boy named Ephram. Question for those who may be able to offer any insight. We made the mistake of, very early on, putting our son to sleep every night in a rock and play. He got so used to sleeping on a slant and the feeling of being enclosed that now we can't get him to lay down in his crib because he keeps his legs elevated. Any suggestions? Also, he is still having trouble sleeping at night. My wife and I tried the Ferber Cry It Out method for a night or two, but man we just could not take it. His tears and screams absolutely broke my heart. My wife works at a daycare so she gets to take Ephram with her, but the ladies at the daycare keep complaining to us that he won't sleep in his crib and are being pushy about making us do the Cry It Out method. Any helpful suggestions are appreciated.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  3. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

First off you've done nothing wrong, we did the Rock and play as well. I'm sure others in here did too.

Have y'all tried the bed wedge(I think it's called that). Basically it's a piece of foam you put under the crib to elevate it?

Nyquist likes this.
  4. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Oh yeah, I know. It came pre-installed on my daughter's tablet

5. Nyquist

We have not! I will look into this immediately. Thank you for that!

Colby Searcy likes this.
  6. Colby Searcy

Nyquist likes this.
  7. JimmyIymmiJ

Music, a steady riot in my soul. Prestigious

Didn't have the slant issue, but definitely the enclosed issue. We used a Woombie for a long time and it worked great. (Cry it out didn't really work for us either).

Nyquist likes this.
  8. Nyquist

Colby Searcy and JimmyIymmiJ like this.
  9. Damn wish I knew about this Woombie thing, we were so bad at swaddling haha

10. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Swaddling helps but it is tough to do

Wait is Woombie like a straitjacket for swaddling? I always said they should make that!

JimmyIymmiJ likes this.
  11. ChaseTx likes this.
  12. JimmyIymmiJ

Yep. They even have convertible ones that let just the arms out for when they get a little older (especially when they start rolling over). We used them for the first year or so and it was a huge help.

scott likes this.
  13. Colby Searcy

My child fucking hated being swaddled and he'd always manage to get a limb out

JimmyIymmiJ likes this.
  14. Nyquist

15. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

Ooh yay! I like this thread! I have a 21 month old boy who will be a big brother in july.

Anybody else get peed on while changing diapers? It only happens when I let my guard down, like he knows.

JimmyIymmiJ and Colby Searcy like this.
  16. Nyquist

Oh man yes. I bought the "Peepee Teepee" for this. It helps!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QJYK6U/?tag=absolutepunk-20

Has he puked in your mouth? That's fun.

17. awwgereee

We use a rock n play for ours to sleep. We didn't bother to get a crib, but I have tried getting him to sleep in the pack n play and it's pretty hit or miss (mostly miss).

I can usually tell if he is going to, so I haven't in awhile. Although last week I took him out of the tub and he peed on me and himself while he was wrapped in his towel, so that was nice.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  18. JimmyIymmiJ

Peed on, pooped on, puked on -- I've had it all, and I have a girl (mainly happens at bath time as opposed to diaper changes)!

Colby Searcy likes this.
  19. Kingjohn_654

Colby Searcy likes this.
  20. Nyquist

Bath time is tightrope walk for sure. Any time my kid so much as breaks wind in the tub I swear I freeze up for a solid thirty seconds before doing anything else.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  21. JRShoenberger

Trusted

When it comes to sleeping, I have never heard truer words than from Mr. Jim Gaffigan: "There are two philosophies when it comes to getting young children to sleep. There is 'sleep training,' which basically involves putting your kids to bed and listening to them scream all night; or there is 'attachment parenting,' which essentially involves lying down with your kids, cuddling them, and then listening to them scream all night."

22. Kingjohn_654

I still feel super bad about it, but the first couple times it happened I froze and couldn't handle it. My wife had to fish the turds out of the tub because I was freaking out.

23. mad

I was right. Prestigious

I'm not a parent but I have a question for everyone who is: what's the funniest thing your kid has said?
    I was babysitting my 2yr old cousin the other day and he made something with his blocks then said "cool man guys! wow! it's chill!" and I just about died. He's also taken to saying "fuckin awesome!!"

Henry, Colby Searcy and awwgereee like this.
  24. awwgereee

Ours can't speak words yet, but he discovered his voice a couple weeks ago and has been talking nonstop. He talks with his eyebrows too, so I think that's been the funniest part.

My three year old nephew says some pretty funny things. I think the best was when my sister had her German Shepard over (my dad doesn't like dogs, so he has to stay outside or on the sunporch). When we were talking to my nephew (my brother's son) about her dog, he said that Charlie couldn't come into the house. I asked him why not and he immediately said "because he can't open the door; he doesn't have hands" and then went back to eating his snack.

mad and ChaseTx like this.
  25. Colby Searcy

We bought the Tee-Tee Turtles and yeah they don't work worth a shit, they don't even stay on his penis/balls at all.

The first month-month 1/2 was pure hell when it came to sleeping for us. We also used the rock and play next to our bed and he'd sleep alright some nights where he'd wake up every 3 hours to feed and then other nights he'd wake up every hour and just scream his lungs out, there was no consistency ever! What ended up happening was he would only sleep when he was on someone, so we resorted to co-sleeping and we always said we would never do it but did out of necessity. And by co-sleeping i mean him literally laying on my chest all night and me sleeping propped up on pillows at an angle. Did that for a good 2 months(maybe a little less) and he eventually got through the night where he would either A) sleep all night on my chest without waking up or B) would wake up and then i'd give him a pacifier to soothe himself back to sleep. Around Christmas i said enough is enough, my back began to kill me and we started using the crib. He has slept through the night ever since, 9pm-8:30/9 AM. That's what worked for us, feels so good to finally feel like we have something done right.

Sorry for the long winded response.

This is us. He's too young to really say anything yet but he pretty much has found his voice, because he loves to just scream excitedly at the top of his lungs or just laugh or whatnot.

awwgereee likes this.