Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Parenting Thread • Page 38

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Fucking Dustin, Mar 16, 2016.

1. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Colby Searcy likes this.
  2. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

I would say to just keep trying. It’s still early enough. Some kids don’t potty train until they are three.

Colby Searcy and Kingjohn_654 like this.
  3. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

My son is 3.5. He will pee in a potty but not poop. It’s so frustrating. And then the past two days he hasn’t been wanting to pee. He’s having a bit of a regression

4. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

Our son just went through this so my thoughts/tips:

My wife did a long 4-day weekend with him and had him pants less the entire time. Every time an accident started, take him to potty and let him finish there, even if he's "empty". Every time he gets anything in potty it's a huge celebration.

Honestly, our son got pee very quickly and had accidents but would try his best to get to potty in time. Poop was a struggle because when he felt it, it was too late.

Another thing that was huge was we got a sticker book for Thomas the Tank Engine, he got 1 sticker every successful pee and 2 every successful poop, 5 stickers got him a "present" which we wrapped and set somewhere. He also got the same number in chocolate chips, 1 for pee and 2 for poop. We then switched to only treats for poop after peeing was no longer an issue.

As of now, it's been....3 months maybe, and he rarely has poop accidents, never pee. He naps in underwear without an accident, sleeps in a pull-up that is only wet in morning. We bought him some awesome Thomas underwear and let him pick which one he wears for the day and he loves it.

Good luck, the first few days suck with the cleanup. We rolled up all our rugs because....yeah...

5. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

Also worth noting - my son HATED the little kid potty and we ended up adding a kid's seat to our toilet. He much preferred sitting the "big boy" toilet

Colby Searcy and Nate_Johnson like this.
  6. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Awesome, thank you for this. Right now he tells us when he poops, which I think is a big accomplishment compared to before when he would poop, but not say anything. So we think he gets it, so we're trying to go off that and work on him going to the potty right after to see if he gets it. But we ask him to sit down and he just jumps right back up.

7. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Night 2 of my daughter in her crib. We waited WAY too long for the transition (she turned 6 months on Saturday - we transitioned my son at 4 months, and I thought that was too long a wait). Anyway, last night went about as great as I could expect. Once she finally fell asleep (about an hour after we laid her down) she slept through the night, without a feeding. Which she’s only done like 3 times so far.

Tonight is going well (knock on wood) but it’s still early. I laid her in there at 9 and she cried for 5 minutes but has been fast asleep since.

8. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

We started potty training my son around 2 1/2 years-old and he was pretty much trained by the time he turned 3 (he had to be in order to start pre school). We basically just kept putting him in the bathroom every 20-30 minutes over the toilet to get him to pee/poop. Eventually he learned to tell us when he had to go.

He still wears a pull up at night, honestly have no clue how we’ll train him to get up in the middle of the night by himself, but he’s been great during the day for about 6 months now.

Funny side note, my son got a plastic potty training seat stuck around his neck when he was 2. The top part was squishy and he pulled his head through, the bottom however was rock hard plastic and he couldn’t squish his head back through to get it off. We had to call 9-1-1 for them to come get it off him. He was never in serious danger, we just couldn’t get it off.

9. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Night 2 was also a great success. This is too good to be true. She slept great - although did wake up for a feeding around 4:15 a.m. but for the most part, slept great in her crib from 9 p.m. to 7:45 a.m.

10. awwgereee

Happy for you that things seem to be going well!

We will be switching our son to a crib this week most likely. He’s almost six months and I’m sort of dreading it. My other son was sort of a nightmare to transition, and it never really worked so he still cosleeps at night and he’s 2. I’m hoping this time around goes more smoothly though because the baby doesn’t like to be held to sleep and prefers to fall asleep by himself in his cradle, which is the exact opposite of how our toddler was.

11. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. My son (who is now 3 1/2) NEVER slept. It took us 4 months or so to get him in his crib, but even when we did, I'd say about 4 or 5 nights a week he'd end up in our bed at some point of the night. I was so worried that we were going to create a life-long sleeper in our bed (we heard horror stories from people who'd say their 7-year-old would still join them in bed at night)...When he was 2-years, 4 months, we got him his own bed and to this day he's never once joined us in bed. That was in January of 2017, so it's been over a year of him sleeping great in his bed. I don't know, I guess he just despised his crib.

We tried to transition our daughter 2 months ago (when she was 4 months) but then she got RSV and an ear infection and we didn't want to put her in her crib when she was sick, then next thing we knew, we were all passing around colds and coughs and things are just starting to settle down again. She's been a better sleeper than my son, in comparing their first 6 months. My son woke up for 2-3 feedings per night. My daughter typically only wakes up once and sleeps well throughout the rest of the night.

Colby Searcy and awwgereee like this.
  12. awwgereee

Glad she is better and I hope nobody else gets sick again!

Yeah he just turned two last week, so we are hoping to get him his own bed in the next couple months. We think if he gets to help pick out sheets and blankets that it will make him feel like it’s his, and that he will be more excited about it. We will see though haha

13. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I'm sure it will help, my son was honestly beyond excited once we got him a bed. Any time one of our parents, or a friend came over, he'd beg them to go upstairs to show them his bed. It was just a total game-changer.

14. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

So fucking true.

We tried to limit his iPad time but lately he's been unbearable without it. Once he's good it more regularly he's actually not as bad and we've noticed alot of development in his speech and recognizing other things which had been really cool.
    Mine like Word Party as well.
    Big Mickey Mouse and more recently PJ Masks fan in our house
    I wish I could get mine too easy dinner AT ALL honestly

He picks up his fork doesn't take a single bite and says "All done, don't like"

Gets frustrating

awwgereee and Kingjohn_654 like this.
  15. Colby Searcy

Got an official c section date for baby #2 yesterday.

April 12 at 730 am, be there 2 hours early.

WAY closer than I think once I say it out loud

16. awwgereee

How exciting! Do you have everything all ready for when the baby arrives?

17. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Woohoo! Are you mentally prepared?

18. Colby Searcy

Oh god no!

Her room is painted and the furniture we've been working on painting! Just ordered the crib and pack n play on Sunday so still gotta set all that up.

We're getting there ever so slightly! Still gonna be here before we know it!

I thought I was until the finality of it was presented haha.

Now I'm just kinda freaking out a bit

awwgereee and Nate_Johnson like this.
  19. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

You got this!

awwgereee and Colby Searcy like this.
  20. Awesome! Ours is coming that week, too.

ncarrab, awwgereee and Colby Searcy like this.
  21. Colby Searcy

22. Colby Searcy

23. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

July 20th and it’s a girl!

awwgereee and Colby Searcy like this.
  24. Colby Searcy

No issues or high risk or anything?

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  25. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

We are going to schedule a C-section. No VBAC for us.

Colby Searcy likes this.