Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Parenting Thread • Page 33

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Fucking Dustin, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

Having another girl. Exciting stuff... didn't really care boy or girl, just want a healthy baby. At least I know what to do this time around.... and will have a 5 1/2 year old to help out with things lol.

awwgereee, ncarrab and Colby Searcy like this.
  2. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Congrats!

When are y'all due?

Brent likes this.
  3. awwgereee

Congratulations!

Brent likes this.
  4. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

Thanks! Due in May but will likely be induced due to her being considered high risk pregnancy due. we’ll be moving that month too likely cross country so this’ll be fun lol

Colby Searcy likes this.
  5. Colby Searcy

Similar situation for us minus the moving part (Thankfully!). We're due in April but will have to schedule a c-section, so it'll be earlier too. She's not high risk, but has gestational diabetes, so I can relate.

Where are y'all moving?

Brent likes this.
  6. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah she’s pre-diabetic so that’s why they want to schedule it early. No idea where we’re moving... I’m going recruiting duty. I have Phx as my #1 choice followed by Tampa, SoCal, LA then some spots in Texas. Should know by the end of Feb. gotta love the Army...

Congrats to you and your wife on your upcoming kiddo too!

Colby Searcy likes this.
  7. awwgereee

Has anybody been away from their kids for a prolonged period of time? I know a week in the grand scheme of things isn't very long at all, but I have to be away from my 1 1/2 year old and 2 month old, and as the primary caregiver, I'm starting to get anxiety about it. (The only time I've been away is was when the second was born and we were in the hospital for two nights [so our toddler stayed with my parents for the weekend] and when I had surgery, but I was still home, just out of commission for two/three days.) Just wondering if anybody had any experience with this or tips on how to manage it.

8. ncarrab Nov 20, 2017
    (Last edited: Nov 20, 2017)
    ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

When my son was 5 months old my wife and I had to go to a wedding in Texas for 4 Days and when he was 1 1/2 we went to Jamaica for a week. Every now and then we’ll do a one-night stay somewhere (for an out of town wedding). Also away for 4 Days when our daughter was born.

Every time he stays at my parents who have other grandkids and are used to taking care of little kids again. So, that was comforting. It’s also great if you can FaceTime (if possible) every so often while gone. I’m sure it’s harder on my wife, who definitely had more anxiety about leaving him for a few days/week than I did.

awwgereee and JimmyIymmiJ like this.
  9. awwgereee

Yeah I'm thinking FaceTime is going to be helpful. My husband will be home with them, so obviously it really isn't that bad, and I'm pretty sure my sister in law will be staying at our place as well, which makes me feel better too because she has two that are similar ages to our kids.

I think I am nervous for my husband too because I am home with the kids all day and know their little quirks and we have a routine that works pretty well for the most part. Our newborn is also more particular and only likes to be held by yours truly most of the time, especially at night. I think the whole thing will be harder on the adults than the kids in this situation, but still.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  10. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Anyone else use a DockATot for their newborns/babies? My daughter will be 4 months on Sunday and has been sleeping in a DockATot in our bed since she was born. A DockATot is essentially their own little raised bed. Kind of looks like a thicker dog bed.

She sleeps absolutely fantastic in it, more than my son ever did (my son didn't sleep until we got him his own bed when he was 2 years, 4 months) and is nearly sleeping through the night every night (knock on wood). He never used a DockATot though.

We are looking to transition my daughter into her crib in the next few weeks, and are thinking of placing the DockATot in her crib with her while she gets used to the crib.

I'm really nervous with the transition because my son never enjoyed his crib, although he never slept before his crib either. I suspect it will not be easy with my daughter either. Anyone have any good crib transitioning tips?

EDIT: For those wondering, this is what a DockATot is...and no that's not me. Taken from DockATot's instagram:

Brent likes this.
  11. Colby Searcy

Any luck with the transition?

12. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

How'd it go?

awwgereee and Colby Searcy like this.
  13. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Still haven't tried putting in her crib, haha. My wife just won't let it go. Hopefully in the next week or two.

awwgereee, Brent and Colby Searcy like this.
  14. awwgereee

15. Kingjohn_654

God smiles, the devil laughs.

I'm sorry things didn't go as planned.

awwgereee likes this.
  16. Colby Searcy

My son has been obsessed with wanting to take a shower so I've been letting him bathe with me periodically.

Anybody else done this or is that too weird?

awwgereee and Kingjohn_654 like this.
  17. Kingjohn_654

My son is three and if we're in a hurry or something, he'll get in every now and then with me. Not weird.

18. awwgereee

I don't think this is weird at all

Colby Searcy and Kingjohn_654 like this.
  19. Kingjohn_654

I haven't showered with my son in awhile because he prefers baths and I get uncomfortable when he points and goes "there's your penis?"

Like, why is it a question?

Colby Searcy and bachna84 like this.
  20. Colby Searcy

Haha

He's just looking at for you, making sure you're still with it.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  21. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I don't think it's weird at all. My son has showered with me a few times. It's just WAY quicker than the whole bath routine, which can be very lengthy.

Colby Searcy and awwgereee like this.
  22. JimmyIymmiJ

Music, a steady riot in my soul. Prestigious

Yeah I think it's a pretty standard procedure. My wife does it with my daughter as well at times, especially if we've gone swimming.

23. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Nope, not weird. That's your kid man, do what feels right.

Colby Searcy and awwgereee like this.
  24. Colby Searcy

I saw your post in VG thread.

Are you and the wife living together again?

I hope everything is well with you man!

25. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

It's fucking weird man, and we're just taking it day by day. I'm still at my parents, but it's almost like every other weekend or so I sleep with her at her house. Over Christmas break, I stayed there for the entire week, just so we could both enjoy time as a family, more specifically our kid. We both got lawyers within the past month. She got a separation agreement written up, sent it to me, I gave it my lawyer to revise, now I'm just waiting on him. We're making this agreement that basically says, if (or when) we decide to get divorced, officially, that it's already all in writing and agreed upon (house money, she has her own business, stuff like that). But, she's been more open to us working it out and getting back together, so if we do - we still have this agreement if things get ugly again in a year or whatever. Problem is, back in October, she let her friend move in with her, for free, since she also is going through a divorce and she was being a good friend. She's still there, and I said I'm not comfortable moving back in with her there. I'm very introverted and like to have my safe space. When I'm there, I don't feel like that anymore. Plus she has a chihuahua which I absolutely loathe (and think I'm allergic too). So it's all fucked and weird, but I'm truly exhausted of the whole thing and don't really have many feelings about the whole thing anymore.

TL;DR: no, not living together again, but we've been spending more time together.

Colby Searcy likes this.