Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Parenting Thread • Page 28

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Fucking Dustin, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

I've told them but I don't think they get it

Because they're already getting a brother from their mom and her boyfriend (well, now fiance) so when I tell them they're getting a new sibling they're like "Yeah I know!" hahahaha, they haven't yet processed that it's yet another sibling

ChaseTx likes this.
  2. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

I just want to say thanks to everyone for replying support and feedback. I still don't know how to handle this, so I'm just trying to take it an hour at a time. So much stress and anxiety, this decision was mine ultimately, I know this, but it was because of her actions. So while I didn't want to pull the trigger, I felt like I needed to for my own sanity so I could stop living in fear of doing or saying the wrong thing, or trying to change for her without the getting the same.

3. dadbolt

Prestigious Prestigious

no problem, we are here any time if you need to vent. taking it a day/hour/etc at a time is the best thing you can do. My advice going forward would be spend as much time with your child as you can. When you don't have them, do things/find new things that make you happy or at the very least take your mind off of the split. Shit posting on here helped me a lot haha.

4. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

That's how I got into MMOs

So yeah ask the Sex and WoW thread for advice on starting WoW (or FFXIV)

5. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

I actually started Grand Jury duty a few weeks ago, it's a four month assignment, and we work from 9-930 until like 130-200. I get off work at 2PM! Most people wouldn't complain but it just sets me up for anxiety. I can only go to the gym, hike, bike, etc. for so long before I'm completely bored out of my mind and no longer distracted. The days I have my kid are fine, it's the days I don't I struggle.

6. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

C08A698C-DD52-4D73-BA18-D3A2BE563A77.JPG

Happy Father's Day to all the dads in here!

7. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Hell yeah! Happy Father's Day everyone!

8. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

[​IMG]

Love my boy, hope everyone had a great Father's Day.

9. My son turns 3 on Sunday. Where does the time go?

10. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

Mine's about to be 6 in July. I'm right there with you!

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  11. JimmyIymmiJ

Music, a steady riot in my soul. Prestigious

So this whole two kids thing...way crazier than one! Obviously, I know, but I forgot how taxing these first few months can be.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  12. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I'm gonna be in this boat in 6-8 weeks and it's really starting to freak me out.

JimmyIymmiJ and Colby Searcy like this.
  13. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Holy fuck I jinxed myself. My son has been the DEVIL the past month. Like punching, kicking, throwing screaming all the time now. It's awful. Think he's starting to realize he won't be the only child around soon ( baby 2 is on it's way soon) so he's freaking out...or maybe it's just normal?

It's been a real tough month with him.

aspeedomodel and Colby Searcy like this.
  14. aspeedomodel

My son has been a terror lately - throwing fits, being a pain at bedtime, hitting, not sitting for dinner. It's becoming so tiring...

15. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Yeah, my son used to go to bed great...now? Not so much.

aspeedomodel likes this.
  16. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

You guys stop with the bedtime stuff!

My son had been in the other phases for awhile but still sleeps amazing, I don't want it to trickle down from y'all

17. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

It took a good 18 months for my son to really sleep well. Then he slept great for about a year and all of a sudden, he refuses to go to bed at night. I think a lot has to do with it being summer and it being light out til 930. But once he falls asleep, he still sleeps through the night, thank God.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  18. Colby Searcy

I'm curious what your (and others in the threads) bedtime routine is like?

19. aspeedomodel

There are two varying routine:
    1) I put my son down. Goes like - after bath, i brush his teeth with him, wife changes/reads him story or two, then I sit in a chair sing a song or two with lights off (favorites are BN deja era or Dashboard), put him in bed sit next to him for a bit singing a few more songs (TBS maybe).

2) Wife puts him down. Goes like - after bath, wife brushes his teeth, I change/read him story or two, then wife takes him and a hour later calls me into the room and I finish out rest of #1 above.

:shrug: it hasn't been too bad until recently, last week or so. He just FIGHTS and pushes boundaries/buttons.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  20. aspeedomodel

What is really funny and 100% true, is that no matter how excited or worked up he is, or just angry - when I start singing any Brand New song (usually Okay I Believe You... or Jesus Christ) he will IMMEDIATELY calm down, lay and doze off.

Works. Every. Time.

colorlesscliche and Colby Searcy like this.
  21. Colby Searcy

Interesting so he ONLY falls asleep with someone else in the room?
    This is great!

22. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

This is me right here.

23. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Nothing major on our end...we typically start turning off the lights downstairs around 8 p.m. so he knows it's time to calm down/stop running around, then we let him sit on the couch with his blanket and milk for 20 to 30 minutes so he can watch Mickey or whatever on DVR. Then we let him pick out two cars to go to bed and typically I'll walk upstairs with him and tuck him in and give him his stuffed bunnies and he cuddles his bunnies and his cars and goes to bed. For a good year, that was a great routine and he didn't cry or try to get out of bed, but with the summer time light still shining in his room (despite blackened shades) I think he feels he's still 'missing out' on play time because it's light. That said, he never really tries to get out of bed, just cries himself to sleep.

I wish I could say we read more books to him, but we don't read a lot to him. He's starting pre-school when he turns 3 in September, so we'll really start with the books then (even though he has TONS of books and is interested in them).

When he was really, really young, I'd let him sit with me by my record player and I'd play music until he fell asleep in my lap and then I'd put him in his crib.

popdisaster00 and Colby Searcy like this.
  24. My son also goes to sleep with little cars, haha.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  25. aspeedomodel

Yup, only falls asleep with someone present and leaving the room with creaky wood floors/door is a nerve-wracking affair.

Yeah, it's the funniest thing. EVERY TIME it works. Now it's at the point where I'll say "if you lay I'll sing you a song" and he'll lay down and cover up