Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Offspring Are Recording

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

Raku likes this.
  2. tomtom94

Trusted

I swear a while ago they were talking about putting out regular singles rather than an album. I'm guessing that fell by the wayside. Shame, because that would be a good route for them to go.

I liked Days Go By, but it's really obvious at this point their hearts really aren't in writing albums any more. That album featured a re-worked Ignition song for the sake of filling space and a blatant Rise Against rip-off.

That said - their albums are always a worthwhile listen and if they can tap into the outrage that fuelled the likes of Hammerhead and Stuff is Messed Up this could be something special.

And given how long it takes for their albums to actually materialise, I look forward to hearing it in 2019.

EDIT: Case in point, when this album was first being talked about it was supposed to come out in 2014.

alkalinexandy likes this.
  3. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

which song was the Rise Against ripoff? i want to listen to it lol

4. tomtom94

Trusted

Comparison:

(I like both songs. According to TVTropes some people also think Turning Into You sounds like Ready to Fall but I don't see that one, personally)

5. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

holy lol, from the opening guitar pluck it's clear as day. this is glorious

6. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

Days Go By was such a shitty record. While we're on the rip-off topic, the title track was basically their version of Foo Fighters "Time Like These" while "Hurting As One" was basically a re-write of their own song, "Damnit I Changed Again".

I'm not sure what environment this band now fits into. They're considered too much of a novelty to be taken seriously which means they won't get booked at any major festivals and the punk scene has mostly abandoned them which means they basically play at butt-rock festivals like Rock On The Range, Carolina Rebellion, etc.

For what it's worth, my ranking of the Offspring records (worst to best): self-titled, Days Go By, Rise And Fall, Splinter, Ignition, Conspiracy Of One, Ixnay, Smash, Americana.

7. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

I still haven't been able to get into any of their records since Smash.

8. I'll always love Smash and Americana. The rest of their discography has always been pretty poor, though.

9. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Ignition through Americana is a great run. If all of Splinter had been up to the standard of some of the deep cuts like Never Gonna Find Me or Lightning Rod, that album would be up there too.

10. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

How can you love Smash and Americana but not Ixnay On The Hombre?

11. There are some gems on there but I never thought it was great from start to finish

12. mercury

modern-day offspring fanatic Supporter

offspring takes are my favorite takes because no one's is ever the same and yet i somehow agree with all of them

13. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

Lol that's hilarious