Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Offspring and 311 Cover Each Other’s Songs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The Offspring have shared a cover of 311’s “Down” and 311 have covered “Self-Esteem.” You can hear the new renditions on Spotify or Apple Music. 311’s Nick Hexum talked to Billboard about how the idea came together:

It was the Offspring’s idea, and a great idea. They said, ‘We had the idea to cover your song, and we’ve done it,’ and I was like, ‘Wow! I have to hear this,’ ’cause it’s such a signature song. Were they going to cover it faithfully or rework it?’ They reworked it just enough; There’s punk to it, and Dexter (Holland) actually does a killer job of rapping SA (Martinez)’s parts in more of a punk rock style, with fast drums. We were so blown away, It was so my fun to hear that. So we returned the favor and reggaefied (‘Self Esteem’), which is probably my favorite song of theirs. It’ll be a lot of fun to give the fans new versions of these songs they love so much.

Raku and AshlandATeam like this.
  2. AMC

Regular

I love this. I want full albums ASAP

Raku likes this.
  3. fourstarters

Team Wiggum

This is such a weird and random tour, but it sounds like it'd be a blast. Gym Class Heroes are opening up (which is super random as well) - they're on the Ticketmaster voucher list if you've got those.

AshlandATeam likes this.
  4. ramomcferno

Mystery is the secret ingredient Prestigious

I have tons but no eligible events are showing up for me in the Philly area. Thanks for sharing though. Hope this works out for someone.

5. AshlandATeam

Trusted

You know it's weird - being a teenager in the late 90s, 311 and the Offspring were on the same radio stations and were loved by the same kids (at least in my small Midwestern town). I get what you're saying - sonically they're totally different. But in a pre internet world, they felt like they were cut from the same cloth. They were an alternative to the alternative, if that makes any sense.

SuNDaYSTaR, Raku, marceting and 3 others like this.
  6. AMC

Regular

I don't see offspring and 311 being a random paring? Old 311 and old offspring were pretty similar. Same vibe same fans.

Raku and Bayside 182 like this.
  7. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

This tour is going to be so fun. I can't wait for the Chicago show! I like 311's Offpring cover more although Offspring's cover is a little more unique.

8. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

Yeah, this is the truth. My brother is that age (and from the Midwest, no less) and 311 and The Offspring were a couple of his favorite bands. They definitely had tons of overlap even though their songwriting styles were quite a bit different.

I think I agree. 311 is one of those bands where all they have to do is pick up their instruments and whatever they play is going to have their signature feel to it even if they don't try to change it up that much. The Offspring's cover is more to transform the song into something completely different, which is cool, but I didn't personally enjoy it as much.

9. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

The amount of times I stayed up late playing N64 while cranking Offspring's "Americana" is probably in triple digits. 1998.... what a time to be a 12 year old.

10. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

love these guys but woah these are bad covers

Raku likes this.
  11. ezmo311

Regular Supporter

Did Feldy produce these? They sound so bad. I'll give the nod to the Offspring's cover of Down. I couldn't finish the Self-Esteem cover.

SuNDaYSTaR, Raku and domotime2 like this.
  12. sayitaintjoe

yikes. these are rough.

Raku likes this.
  13. Slave to the Grind

I think the conversation went more like this:

Nick: "Hey Dexter, how do we recapture our 90's glory but in a new and unique way?"

Dexter: "How about we each do a cover of a song that the other band is sick of playing and the fans are tired of hearing?"

Nick: "Brilliant!"

14. Tylar

I don’t really like the self esteem cover, but the down cover was fun and cute

Raku likes this.
  15. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

I’m not a 311 fan but I’m stoked I finally got to use some of my Ticketmaster class action vouchers to go see this tour in a few weeks.

16. AMC

Regular

They are pretty fun live. Especially free live..