The Official Racism Thread Social • Page 95

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. BirdPerson Jul 20, 2017
    (Last edited: Jul 20, 2017)
    BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

the collateral i'm looking at now has a basic drawing of a ninja (dude with face covered/sword poking out from behind his shoulder). It's the only one though.

The idea is: right now, we have these big machines that break and when they break, the service people come in and rescue the client from the breakdown. Well, my company wants to shift that story to one of catching things before they break - instead of saving the day, they are sneaky, stealthy, fixing what needs to be fixed, in and out quick in the background, etc

explaining better to @aranea above

edit: i'm quoting a couple things verbatim in here so i might have to delete this post later so I don't get fired or something

2. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

see above for what i hope is a better explanation

3. St. Nate

We were just talkin' bout the Jesus. Prestigious

Man I got no idea.

Don't make any weird caricatures don't do any accents. I got no ideas.

incognitojones likes this.
  4. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

Thank you, either way.

Basically I think it boils down to: is using ninja for business use offensive/inappropriate?

5. Yeah don't do it. Doesn't seem like it comes from a place of research of and respect for the cultural history.

6. Jacob

Σ of n from 1 to 36 is pretty metal Prestigious

Korrigans (basically fairies) can predict the future and are also supposed to be super fast.

St. Nate likes this.
  7. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Anyone have any good examples of the historic context of calling black women "manly" and/or being portrayed as such?

8. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

this study finds a general correlation between perceived blackness and maleness, for starters. and this one assessed blaxploitation flicks and argued black female characters fulfill paradoxical sexual objectification as women but masculine assignment because of their active and violent behavior. these are regarded as potentially offspring of the Sapphire stereotype, which portrayed black women as overbearing, emasculating, and non-feminine.

9. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Hmm...some of htese work, thank you. I was actually looking for more on the shallow end of things, i.e. the idea that black women have always been said to "look" manly by white people and white society in general. I feel like that's definitely a historic thing but I haven't really found good examples of it.

10. Malatesta

there's this study, which finds that the more a straight man values the concept of femininity, the less likely he is to be attracted to black women

11. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

Any sports website with an article praising Serena or Venus Williams will give you plenty of real life examples.

Or how Serena Williams and Maria sharapova have almost identical yearly earnings for some time...Serena makes most of her money from winning games and maria is about half winning half modeling and endorsements.

12. inspectorkemp

shittiest taste 2k18

Richter915 likes this.
  13. ellie117

south jersey. Supporter

Hi friends. Thoughts on Matt McGorry? He's a white male actor (How To Get Away With Murder, Orange Is The New Black) who speaks a lot about actively opposing racism as a white man and identifies as a feminist on his facebook. He just posed a question to 'fellow white people' - "What will you do to move from "I'm not racist" to being actively anti-racist?"

Jose likes this.
  14. iCarly Rae Jepsen

make my wish come true Supporter

he pats himself way too much on the back for being a feminist and it's self serving and weird

15. Jake Gyllenhaal

I’m a surfer! Supporter

I feel like certain websites also give him praise for speaking out, but it's been quite some time since I've seen him mentioned.

16. ellie117

south jersey. Supporter

That's why I ask. I follow him and find myself agreeing with a lot of his posts, but definitely see a lot of self congratulation on his part.

17. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

UPDATE:

I just read the final submitted piece that we put out to the public. All references to ninja are gone. Looks like they took my advice and decided not to be really weird and probably racist.

edit: I asked my coworker if other people had similar feedback and this was her response:

Oooookay lady, the last we left it, you were going to ask people about it, so "brought it up" is not really what should have occurred there, if you actually ASKED.

skogsraet likes this.
  18. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Today the subject of niche dating sites came up and everyone was whining about how the black-geared sites are wrong and people would freak if there was a whites only site and how it's exactly the same and I repeatedly explained why I don't think it's the same and how I don't think black people are wrong to want that, and what was most annoying is that nobody listened at all. I didn't expect to change anyone's mind but it was like they put their hand to their ears going "wah wah wah I can't hear yoooou. It's exactly the same!!!!" over and over and totally blocked out anything without even hearing it. meh. It's just rude cause I listen to their ridic bs and they can't take one second to even hear me out, even if they still disagree.

Ken and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  20. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

Some random dude just @'d me in a Twitter conversation where I never mentioned my race or origins to tell me that if I'm Hispanic or Latinx I'm white, which makes no sense on its face, and then he says "ask Spain" and I'm not Spanish descendent or even from a country that's majority Spanish?? I shouldn't have engaged, especially not before checking his bio (which has MAGA in it) but it took me off guard and I sounded off. Smh.

Richter915 and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  21. Malatesta

22. iCarly Rae Jepsen

make my wish come true Supporter

this might be the most absurd apology for saying the n word

23. marsupial jones

if i don't like your avatar i don't like you

People blame being drunk on everything else so why should it be surprising people add their racism to the list????

24. Malatesta

people do the things they wish they could do (or that they do already do secretly) when they're drunk, it's just literally how alcohol works