Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Official Racism Thread Social • Page 95

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. ellie117

south jersey. Supporter

Hi friends. Thoughts on Matt McGorry? He's a white male actor (How To Get Away With Murder, Orange Is The New Black) who speaks a lot about actively opposing racism as a white man and identifies as a feminist on his facebook. He just posed a question to 'fellow white people' - "What will you do to move from "I'm not racist" to being actively anti-racist?"

Jose likes this.
  2. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

he pats himself way too much on the back for being a feminist and it's self serving and weird

3. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

I feel like certain websites also give him praise for speaking out, but it's been quite some time since I've seen him mentioned.

4. ellie117

south jersey. Supporter

That's why I ask. I follow him and find myself agreeing with a lot of his posts, but definitely see a lot of self congratulation on his part.

5. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

UPDATE:

I just read the final submitted piece that we put out to the public. All references to ninja are gone. Looks like they took my advice and decided not to be really weird and probably racist.

edit: I asked my coworker if other people had similar feedback and this was her response:

Oooookay lady, the last we left it, you were going to ask people about it, so "brought it up" is not really what should have occurred there, if you actually ASKED.

skogsraet likes this.
  6. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Today the subject of niche dating sites came up and everyone was whining about how the black-geared sites are wrong and people would freak if there was a whites only site and how it's exactly the same and I repeatedly explained why I don't think it's the same and how I don't think black people are wrong to want that, and what was most annoying is that nobody listened at all. I didn't expect to change anyone's mind but it was like they put their hand to their ears going "wah wah wah I can't hear yoooou. It's exactly the same!!!!" over and over and totally blocked out anything without even hearing it. meh. It's just rude cause I listen to their ridic bs and they can't take one second to even hear me out, even if they still disagree.

Ken and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  7. mad

I was right. Prestigious

8. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

Some random dude just @'d me in a Twitter conversation where I never mentioned my race or origins to tell me that if I'm Hispanic or Latinx I'm white, which makes no sense on its face, and then he says "ask Spain" and I'm not Spanish descendent or even from a country that's majority Spanish?? I shouldn't have engaged, especially not before checking his bio (which has MAGA in it) but it took me off guard and I sounded off. Smh.

Richter915 and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  9. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

10. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

this might be the most absurd apology for saying the n word

11. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

People blame being drunk on everything else so why should it be surprising people add their racism to the list????

12. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

people do the things they wish they could do (or that they do already do secretly) when they're drunk, it's just literally how alcohol works

13. Whatjuliansaid

News on once the clouds are gone. Prestigious

Is someone who is not a POC allowed to tell a POC that they are "whitewashed"?

14. What the fuck? People make fun of us for our accents, then turn around and tell us we're too Americanized? Can't have it both ways, assholes.

Richter915 likes this.
  15. Yasqueen4

Trusted

Can I just say what an overwhelming sense of satisfaction I get from "winning" a political argument about racism. ☺

16. lightning

Well what do you mean by whitewashed exactly

17. Whatjuliansaid

News on once the clouds are gone. Prestigious

Like their ideology becoming that of a white conservative persons, basically their political lineage has become anti their own people and basing it in incorrect facts that basically a racist would make up

18. lightning

I think the way you go about it is what's important. Don't act like you know what they've been through or you know why they think this way. Ask questions and answer accordingly instead of throwing insults or direct accusations. Honestly, the left and liberals in general would do better to convince people this way, by asking and answering, and then explaining why their line of thinking is harmful and detrimental to their own people. and RWers are the ones who are always yelling "facts not feelings" so you can show them as many facts as possible and then explain why things are that way, and then realize that their way of thinking is really about "feelings" because of how their ideology literally targets specific groups of people. So point out inconsistencies, as well. It depends on the conversation, who you're talking to, etc. Just remind yourself that you don't know what it's like to be them, let alone them as a POC. Remember to be calm, don't insult them, don't be aggressive (even if they are), don't overly police their language (trust me they'll come back with the LOL U SJW), and don't resort to "YOU'RE being racist/sexist/homophobic", say "THIS specific idea/policy is racist/sexist/homophobic BECAUSE..."

the thing with my community (MENA Christians in general, not just Assyrians/Chaldeans etc) being mostly conservative in western diaspora is because of their assimilation tactics, they want to be white adjacent so they subscribe to white supremacist ideals and they want to seem xx tuff xx so they think anybody complaining about anything is being a liberal snowflake. we (assyrians) don't even have a country and are largely displaced. and ironically it's mostly thanks to western foreign policy, so what i find hilarious is this extreme nonsensical partisanship and defensiveness of politicians/political parties while they literally contribute to our genocide lol. i hear the same nonsense from them that i do from most people who are RW - hatred of people of specific ethnicities and religions, anti-blackness, xenophobia, homophobia, sexism, "lol safe spaces and trigger warnings", and "muh free speech". all that nonsense that can be easily debunked with research. Then there comes the whole "but muh work ethic" thing. Point out other countries and their policies and how they have better literacy and education rates, healthier people, lower crime rates, etc, as a result of more "left" economic policies. I could go on, but yeah.

inspectorkemp and Philll like this.
  19. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

I dunno I guess this goes here. Really, I just love this and want to share it.

20. Kiana

omg this is not what I expected to see today

21. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

No

22. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

I am not fond of the term "whitewashed." It implies to that being American is synonymous with white.

23. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

I use it for that exact reason.

24. Kiana

So a few weeks ago the rodeo was in town and there are always a bunch of booths set up selling junk. There's usually a giant confederate flag booth selling merch and this year it wasn't there. I guess they didn't wanna bother with losing money/the controversy this year. And I'm like heck I'm not gonna give them credit, but I think it's amazing that apparently they didn't believe it would turn a profit in a podunk pos town like this. It's awesome to know that even with all the terrible things in the world, a difference can be made. People protesting and creating a stir whether online or in person or however people choose to make their voice heard can make a difference. Because of the work of activists and the platforms that people, espesh poc, have to be heard, a man didn't put up his booth and at least for that week did not profit off of that racist af flag. Because of that work, the painfully small amount of black citizens in this town didn't have to walk past that booth. If that can happen in a small conservative town it gives me hope that the tide can turn, however frustratingly slowly that sometimes happens.

that's my cheesy moment of cheese lol.