Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Official Racism Thread Social • Page 94

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

2. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

Way too many POC who have said that to other POC as well lol. Just look on YouTube and Twitter.

Jose likes this.
  3. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

LWS, skogsraet and Kiana like this.
  4. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

Eh there's layers to it. For example, there are plenty of second geners who "lose" culture because they had poor examples of it growing up. Speaking anecdotally, I saw alot of bad things growing up which led me to abandoning my parents culture...they didn't show me something I would like to have. What's sad is that the situations leading to me breaking away had more to do with us growing up as poor immigrants than anything intrinsic to the culture. I have tons of friends who are proud of their roots...they also grew up in the rich part of town.

If we have kids, i guess I'll expose them to some native culture but I mostly want them to be American...without being shitty.

Sorry for the rant.

5. Airbnb host must pay $5,000 for canceling reservation based on race

"Under an agreement reached after an investigation by the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing, Barker agreed to pay Suh $5,000 in damages, issue her an apology and attend a college-level course on Asian American studies, among other penalties."

HAH.

Ethnic Studies should be mandatory (says the dude with the AAS degree), but that's for another discussion.

skogsraet, Kiana and Richter915 like this.
  6. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

White dude needs help making sure my company (really, the marketing department) isn't being stupid super racist:

We have these field service techs who work on our machines...in the field...and we are trying to change the story from one where instead of being a white knight coming in to fix a broken machine, our techs are "'we caught that early' ninjas"

This ninja concept is setting off a ton of red flags in my brain. I would really reeeeeeallllly appreciate any insight any of you have on this one.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  7. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

I honestly don't understand what you're talking about.

8. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

which part?

9. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

Are there images and illustrations? The concept here of being a ninja is to mean you're fast, yeah? So, I want to know how they're actually going to portray that beyond the initial concept.

10. St. Nate

Like... ninjas aren't known for catching things early?

11. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

Yeah before we even get to that being problematic it doesn't make any sense and sounds bad/confusing

12. BirdPerson Jul 20, 2017
    (Last edited: Jul 20, 2017)
    BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

the collateral i'm looking at now has a basic drawing of a ninja (dude with face covered/sword poking out from behind his shoulder). It's the only one though.

The idea is: right now, we have these big machines that break and when they break, the service people come in and rescue the client from the breakdown. Well, my company wants to shift that story to one of catching things before they break - instead of saving the day, they are sneaky, stealthy, fixing what needs to be fixed, in and out quick in the background, etc

explaining better to @aranea above

edit: i'm quoting a couple things verbatim in here so i might have to delete this post later so I don't get fired or something

13. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

see above for what i hope is a better explanation

14. St. Nate

Man I got no idea.

Don't make any weird caricatures don't do any accents. I got no ideas.

incognitojones likes this.
  15. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

Thank you, either way.

Basically I think it boils down to: is using ninja for business use offensive/inappropriate?

16. Yeah don't do it. Doesn't seem like it comes from a place of research of and respect for the cultural history.

17. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

Korrigans (basically fairies) can predict the future and are also supposed to be super fast.

St. Nate likes this.
  18. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Anyone have any good examples of the historic context of calling black women "manly" and/or being portrayed as such?

19. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

this study finds a general correlation between perceived blackness and maleness, for starters. and this one assessed blaxploitation flicks and argued black female characters fulfill paradoxical sexual objectification as women but masculine assignment because of their active and violent behavior. these are regarded as potentially offspring of the Sapphire stereotype, which portrayed black women as overbearing, emasculating, and non-feminine.

20. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Hmm...some of htese work, thank you. I was actually looking for more on the shallow end of things, i.e. the idea that black women have always been said to "look" manly by white people and white society in general. I feel like that's definitely a historic thing but I haven't really found good examples of it.

21. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

there's this study, which finds that the more a straight man values the concept of femininity, the less likely he is to be attracted to black women

22. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

Any sports website with an article praising Serena or Venus Williams will give you plenty of real life examples.

Or how Serena Williams and Maria sharapova have almost identical yearly earnings for some time...Serena makes most of her money from winning games and maria is about half winning half modeling and endorsements.

23. inspectorkemp

a literal succubitch

Richter915 likes this.