Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Official Racism Thread Social • Page 93

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Aaaaand THAT's appropriation.

2. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

"For instance, he might present a fish in English, say “oishi, oishi” (Japanese for delicious), and then follow it up with “dericious, dericious” in his version of a Japanese accent."

Holy crap

3. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

White People: I lived in (insert country here) I know blah blah blah.

Me: So did colonialists.

CarpetElf and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  4. Me: I lived in America, I know burgers and pizza and obesity.

St. Nate and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  5. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

People are weird. On what planet do you think its okay to use the stereotype Asian voice IN PUBLIC AS PART OF YOUR JOB. Forget the fact that one should not do that in general but lol sometimes you read something and all you can say is "c'mon man".

I mean you wanna spread the culture and use the actual Japanese language...teach your patrons some expressions, some history.. awesome. But c'mon man

CarpetElf and Richter915 like this.
  6. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

The largely tepid response to the supreme Court ruling on Muslim ban 2.0 is proof that 1. Resistance culture is slowing down and 2. Fighting racism is a long haul issue which white liberals have a hard time keeping up with.

7. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

White man in room full of latinos trying to explain what's racist and what's not. What an interesting and not at all predictable development

Jose and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  8. Kiana

Oh don't worry guys he's googled it so he knows

9. Kiana

I hate when people are such fencers. That's what he's doing. He won't admit anything is racist unless it's like literal lynching. Everything else is "prejudiced." I tried to explain power in structural racism but he didnt get it. He interpreted that as when u think ur better than someone. And I'm like no it's not always conscious like that. We were talking about Steve Harvey's sexism and he was the same way with that. Oh he's not sexist he's just prejudiced. Stop being so scared of the actual words. It's not voldemort. It's okay to label it what it is and then have a real discussion around it. K I'm done lol

10. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

"using the word racism is worse than actual racism" way too many people

Richter915, skogsraet and Kiana like this.
  11. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

Best friends neighbor has put up a confederate flag at his house... in Northern New Jersey. I don't get it. He had the whole "proud of the South" mentality (he grew up in Virginia..which I mean.. Is that even the South?)... but how about you put up the Virginia State flag then?

Like I don't understand what "proud of the South" means.

12. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

I get being proud of the south, but not hanging that blasphemous flag.

13. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

He wants to live in a country where blacks are controlled.

14. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

That asshole doesn't know what "proud of the South" means either.

15. mad

I was right. Prestigious

16. ellie117

south jersey. Supporter

My neighbor here in NJ has a confederate flag in their backyard, but it has a skull and crossbones in the middle of it. It's also hanging on a tall flagpole, in a clearing in the tall bushes behind a shed in their side yard. I see it every time I walk my dog and seriously think some sort of racist rituals go on back there. They're also Patriot fans and have a bumper sticker of the state of NJ filled in with the American flag...

17. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

Okay since it's a tall flag pole this one was kind of tough but I got something for you:

Wait till 2am. Fill a water gun with lighter fluid. Spray flag and attached string. Light a match and run.

mad and ellie117 like this.
  18. Kiana

My brother in law has been saying dumb stuff. Its not surprising by any means, but it's disappointing to care about someone who is so like arrogantly ignorant. He was boasting reading some response he gave to a black friend on fb and he sounded so dumb bringing up white slavery and totally undermining his friends feelings because Its Not That Bad Anymore. U could tell he thought he was really saying something intelligent. I finally couldn't hold in my laughter of disbelief when he said racism and sexism didn't happen anymore so then we got into it a bit. It was frustrating because he didn't disagree with me but he also still stood by what he said? Like wut. I went thru all his points I disagreed with like how I know racism and sexism does still exist and he says "I know it does" and I'm like well k u said it didnt. Like u literally just said those words. So he'd be like yeah what you're saying is true BUT...

Somehow that was more irritating than him flat out disagreeing with me. If what I'm saying is true there is no but. He just sounded so dumb I couldn't believe they were actual words he was saying.

19. St. Nate and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  20. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

What do you and @St. Nate think about this? Have you come across a lot of people who, while maybe didn't do what she did, holds similar sentiments (appeasing to white supremacy etc)?

A lot of the comments are full of hatred, no sympathy/empathy, etc etc. One of the comments is saying that this is a troll and isn't real.

I also noticed that this is a year old - how did you come across it today?

21. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

I have no reason to doubt that this didn't happen or that this isn't real. The racist foundation of our society is all laid out for such a story to exist. Though not always to the extreme of this story it is not uncommon for Asian or any POC to hold such sentiments such as anti-blackness or even xenophobia. After all we are told to "assimilate" to this society, a racist white supremacist society. Assimilation to such a society means acceptance under the condition that we can never be seen as equal and thus inferior. I too unknowingly sought proximity to whiteness when I was younger and wanted to differentiate my self from "other Asians" or the "Fobby Asians." Though my experience is nowhere hers in terms of extremes, both stem from the same attitude and the desire to be accepted even undercondition, even if it was on terms unfair to us, even if it meant self hatred.

Nothing about this seems trollish to me. She doesn't seem to be neglecting responsibility for her actions or blaming it on society as some of the comments are saying. Also, those comments seem to be written by Asian men and we have our own issues with how we treat Asian women, Asian women dating not just white men but men of any other race, our own toxic masculinity, and also our own complicity in a white supremacy. Because of this there are many Asian spaces online I like to avoid like any and all Asian subreddits. Their hatred seems to be very misplaced. You can see it in how they are bashing someone who is a victim of abuse and acknowledges her shitty choices, while not bashing or even acknowledging the pervasive racial issues that the writer addresses and seems to have a firm grasp on. I have empathy for her the same way I have empathy for any other woman who has been abused by men.

22. You said all I was gonna say and more, and better.

Richter915 likes this.
  23. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

yeah to add on to that, the positioning of Asians and Asian Americans as the "model minority" naturally promotes the desirability of validating a racial hierarchy while limiting meaningful power and reinforcing the idea that whiteness is the ideal status to pursue

24. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

@St. Nate totally agree. i know this all too well with a lot of people in my own community. but i have a hard time being nice about it. have you argued/debated/discussed this with people like that at all? i don't know how to get people to realize what they're doing. esp when it's like, in your own family/relatives/other people you're close with.

25. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

A lot of what Nate said holds true for the brown people and Muslim communities.