Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Official Racism Thread Social • Page 92

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

Lmao

We are all together in this, comrades

2. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

The problem there is you're assuming he can read.

I suggest diluting his retirement account to pay off student loans you've likely accumulated due to his generation's self-imposed mandate to consolidate wealth. Then tell him to stop being a whiny baby boomer and shut the fuck up.

dorfmac likes this.
  3. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

same coworker: How is Bill Maher a racist?

me: You know how we both agree Hillary is a racist?

same coworker: Ohhhhhhhhh

Richter915 likes this.
  4. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

Well Maher has been incredibly direct, you'd think people would get it by now.

skogsraet likes this.
  5. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  6. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

7. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

when you have no actual framework for analysis except "white=bad" and you know "palestinian=bad" so transitive property and all

8. Ugh @ the stuff people circulate on Facebook. Sushi burger? Pho burrito? What you call fusion food looks a lot like colonialism to me. And also disgusting.

Then again, I've tried Japanese-style hot dogs at food trucks run by Japanese people, so I can't be entirely sure all these fusions are started by outsiders. I still feel weird about it.

America is a melting pot of culture. But shouldn't be when it comes to food. I mean, innovation is great, but I'm just really disturbed by the recent trendiness of fusions. Mexicans hate Chipotle, Chinese people hate Panda; are we really going to stand up for sushi burgers just because they have raw fish? I don't know. Are we past a point in our culture where authenticity matters anymore?

Also #Fbf I don't need a white guy telling me how to eat my own culture's comfort food. Remember that one article describing how to eat pho? Haha fuck that guy

/Rant

Jose and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  9. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

I think fusion food is dope. I'm a first generation American (I think that's the right terminology? I'm the first American in my family 'sides my big bro) and there's so many families like mine that mix American food with food from a variety of cultures. Sure it reeks of colonialism when "outsiders" do it but personally I get so excited seeing stuff like pão de queijo or brigadeiro when I'm in the States. Even if an American made and sold it. I just don't think it's fair to say all Mexicans hate Chipotle (aside from knowing Mexicans who don't hate Chipotle) or all Chinese hate Panda Express, there's so much more nuance than that. Idk it just bugs me to see any ethnicity referred to as a monolith, and this happens a lot because people want a clear cut idea of right and wrong on culturally sensitive issues.

iCarly Rae Jepsen and sophos34 like this.
  10. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

11. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

skogsraet and Kiana like this.
  12. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Sometimes i feel awkward calling out racism that's directed towards other groups. Like I'm positioning myself as an authority or something? Basically when someone pulls the "well I have a __________ friend that says...." card i find it hard to navigate. I try to stress that it's not really our place to say and that since I also have friends or have read discussions and articles where people from that same group feel very differently, I'm gonna err on the side of caution and go with what those people say. Like I'd rather just avoid doing it and offend nobody than risk doing it and offend someone? But I always come out of it with the feeling like I'm pompous or positioning myself as an authority figure on the subject by disregarding their friends' views. And then guiltily I sometimes wonder if their friends are actually real because I've become distrustful to people making claims like that up to make a point. Idk. I just always feel weird and uncertain after.

13. "You shouldn't say that word."
    "My _____ friend said it's okay."
    "Your friend's an idiot."

I don't get people who respond to "that's racist" with "freedom of speech!" Calling you out for being a dick doesn't infringe on your first amendment rights. I mean yeah you can say it but 1) you're being an asshole and 2) you're completely disregarding the significance of the history of oppression associated with that word. People act like words don't matter and we're just snowflakes trying not to get our feelings hurt. Words have power to them. A seemingly benign racist joke in the wrong hands can lead to a change in ideology which can lead to someone taking action on that ideology which can lead to a violent hate crime, and the hardest thing is we just can't concretely prove that that's how it works, so people who don't understand will just be like "But what counts as hate speech? What if it doesn't directly incite violence?" People just don't want to listen when they're told they're wrong.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  14. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

not to sound like i'm poking fun at racism or the obnoxious "but i have a _______ friend" angle but i seriously wonder how many people have said or will start saying, "but I saw Get Out and totally got it, so i'm not racist" or something like that. could totally see that saying becoming the new "but i have a ____ friend"

15. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

DarkHotline and clucky like this.
  16. xkaylinh Jun 20, 2017
    (Last edited: Jun 20, 2017)
    Oh, great, another "Can't we all just get along?" without any understanding of the historical or present context.

"But the answer is usually somewhere in the middle!" Fuck that bullshit. "Neutrality" is siding with the oppressor.

Jose, Whatjuliansaid and mad like this.
  17. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

18. jorbjorb

7 rings

shitty

19. ellie117

south jersey. Supporter

Hi all - can I ask a sincere question? I am attending a children's summer camp next week and am working on memorizing lyrics to Moana songs, specifically You're Welcome. I know the kids love the movie and soundtrack, so I was thinking of going to the Disney store to find some Moana-themed clothing and accessories so I can sing/dance with them. As a white female, am I stepping into cultural appropriation boundaries? I'm trying to do something the kids will enjoy, but also know there were some issues around this movie. Thanks in advance.

20. xkaylinh Jun 29, 2017
    (Last edited: Jun 29, 2017)
    Saw the word "entitled" on my facebook feed (in a completely unrelated context) and a light bulb went off in my mind, so I googled, and yep, apparently anti-SJWs think SJWs are "entitled." They must think that since everything's all right for them, it must be all right for everyone else, so if someone were to keep asking for more, that person must feel entitled. As if a POC who's well off, who's worked their ass off and made it, can't still feel the effects of prejudice and want to fight for social justice. It shows how little anti-SJWs understand about privilege, equity, and power structures. People aren't fighting for social justice because they want participation trophies, they're fighting because systemic discrimination is real. You know who wants participation trophies? Actual crybaby snowflakes who want white history month or straight pride month so they can feel included, too. Just because social injustice doesn't affect you doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Like, omg, where the fuck is the empathy? What happened to that saying, "spend the day in someone else's shoes?" If you've never feared for your life when a cop pulled you over or drove by as you were walking down the street minding your own business, does that mean that feeling doesn't--or can't--exist?

/rant

Jose and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  21. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

I mean, that's privilege (and/or ignorance in some cases) in a nutshell. They don't understand history and how that's affected and still continues to affect groups of people (women/poc/lgbtq+).

And ofc, then there are those people in those groups themselves that do this. For example, POC immigrants that assimilate via appeasing to white supremacy, or women and minorities who have otherwise had relatively easier lives than others like them via class (which then makes it easier for them to deal with issues like education, health, general stand of living), etc, also then use the same talking points.

Jose likes this.
  22. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

I forgot to answer this but I don't feel quite confident in doing so. Hmmm. @St. Nate @xkhiemster ? Sorry this is like a week late. I saw the post but I don't know how I never got around to it. Apologies for ignoring you. :heart:

ellie117 likes this.
  23. xkaylinh Jun 29, 2017
    (Last edited: Jun 29, 2017)
    Here's something I disagree with:

[​IMG]
    Japanese people don't understand appropriation. I mean, how could they? They're the majority of their own country, obviously. Why ask a Japanese person what they think about ScarJo in Ghost in the Shell? Unlike Japanese Americans, Japenese people didn't grow up without role models who looked like them. They can't understand how painful it is to see a role that could/should go to an Asian American actor yet again going to an already famous white person. I know appropriation and whitewashing are kind of different things, but you see what I'm getting at, right?

But! There's one thing the last comment says that I kind of agree with. "The picture is not 'yellow face' they are not making fun of asians. In fact, it looks like they put extra care and research into their work." See, there's a difference between a white kid dressing up as Moana because she's her favorite Disney princess and a grown ass white dude dressing up as a Native American for Halloween just for kicks. It's all about context. If there's real work put in to come to an understanding of the culture, then it's not appropriation. I'm about to go to anime expo and see a bunch of white dudes dress up as Naruto and that's okay. It's a character, not a culture.

Here's an article posted in the Representation thread that goes more in depth (way, way more in depth) about cultural appropriation and power:

In the context of children dressing up as movie characters as a learning experience, I don't think there's a power imbalance there.

edit:

I thought you were talking about the controversy about how they made Maui fat. No, this right here:

Disney Pulls Controversial ‘Moana’ Costume After Complaints

There's a difference between putting on a costume of Moana's clothes and putting on MAUI'S TATTOOED SKIN. Appropriation aside, that's some serial killer type shit right there.

ellie117, CarpetElf and St. Nate like this.
  24. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Lmao. We were talking about something dumb someone did and my uncle was like "are they white?" And I'm just ded @ that always being a relevant question

CarpetElf likes this.
  25. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

CarpetElf likes this.