Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Official Racism Thread Social • Page 88

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

Yea.

And they find a reason to say you did/said something you didn't do/say, pick and choose what to respond to, be obtuse, etc.

Kiana likes this.
  2. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

3. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

4. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

I usually know better than to get mad over online comments but the comments on my local news station's coverage of Middlebury and Charles Murray are making me so furious I'm shaking. I don't understand why people don't get that giving racist ideas an elevated platform is and of itself racist but they're refusing to acknowledge that they're complicit in racism. This fucking country will never change.

AelNire likes this.
  5. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

6. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Most times I try to talk to ppl and challenge them about their views, but there are times where I don't feel comfortable doing so, or I'm just tired af and am like not today, Satan. But then it bothers me that ignorant ppl never seem to feel that way. They just spout off without a care in the world cause they don't have to worry about safety or awkwardly interacting at work or something because their view is dominant and they receive agreement and validation while I'm the overly sensitive, "crazy," whiny, etc one. mehhhh

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  7. I get so frustrated talking to my POC anti-SJW friends who think liberals are all about censorship. It's not about sensitive snowflakes getting offended by a harmless racist meme, it's about trying to stop the normalization of racist ideology before it manifests as hate crime. But of course they won't listen. They won't even believe me when I say voter ID laws are voter suppression, and they even defended Milo whatshisface's "first amendment right" to speak at Berkeley, as though his spreading of harmful ideology wouldn't lead to hate crimes. It's like living in California has made them blind to how bad racism is everywhere else.

8. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

9. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

So I work in social media essentially creating all the Twitter/Facebook/LinkedIn updates for businesses who can't be assed to do it themselves. We're supposed to add images for Twitter and Facebook updates so I've been using my work to tackle representation. For example, we do a lot of updates for businesses that support startups so instead of using generic images of white dudes in business suits, I'll look for black and Latina women and other demographics that most of America wouldn't picture when they hear the word "entrepreneur." It definitely makes my job harder -- I can't tell you how much easier it is to find images of white men then literally any other demographic -- but this is the first time I have a job where I can feel like I'm kinda sorta helping change people's perspectives and actually getting paid for it.

10. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

The catalog company I recently started working at hires out "models" (seems weird to call them that) to appear using or interacting with our products. Since we sell a lot of toys/arts & crafts products, most of the models are kids. I don't have a hand in the photography aspect but in a meeting this week, I learned there's an concerted effort to include a healthy mix of girls and boys as well as of different races.

11. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

Hell yeah that's awesome, this gives me hope that I and future social media writers won't have to scour the internet to find more diverse stock images haha.

12. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

Do you have access to premium stuff or no? Cause I don't

13. Kiana

I have to have a diverse population depicted, which is weird cause I get evaluated on how "diverse" it is, which I wonder how they even rank or evaluate that. I always print off pictures of poc and put books out written by poc for my #LiberalAgenda

14. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

Premium stuff as in like a paid subscription for stock images? Not sure I know what you mean

15. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

Yes

16. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

I don't with this company but tbh when I was writing for a politics website a couple months back, I did have access to one and I can't remember the name but it was way less useful than Google.

17. Kiana

Update: this person thinks it's offensive when u go to a Mexican fast food establishment and order a cheeseburger, but not her treatment of mexican immigrants apparently

3_gif.gif

18. xkaylinh Mar 10, 2017
    (Last edited: Mar 11, 2017)
  19. mad

I was right. Prestigious

20. Malatesta

mexican fast food truly is what a progressive agenda of racial inclusion and equality seeks to preserve above all else

iCarly Rae Jepsen, mad and Kiana like this.
  21. Kiana

I was like sis it's Del Taco not a local taqueria in the barrio lol!

22. Malatesta

i mean... i guess at least it's not taco bell?

Kiana likes this.
  23. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

Muslim Americans Are United by Trump—and Divided by Race

For Some Americans Of MENA Descent, Checking A Census Box Is Complicated

You Wanted Just A Little Bit Of Xenophobia, But Got Too Much

Spencer Control and Dominick like this.
  24. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

mad likes this.
  25. mad

I was right. Prestigious

Morrissey's new merch is uh...questionable
    [​IMG]

AelNire and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.