Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Official Racism Thread Social • Page 8

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Bingo.

2. DeviantRogue

Take arms, it'll all blow over Prestigious

Wouldn't the responsibility extend beyond that of mere festival organizers as well, with respect to whatever genre they festival is catering too? And whether or not there are trends within that scene that are exclusionary to diversity, obviously doesn't fully absolve the festival organizers, as diversity can be found within even the "whitest" of sub-genres.

3. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

It must be noted that event organizers are looking out for their profits first. Any decent human can easily mandate that bands with poc get on the bill to promote diversity, its easy. The fear is that their white male audience would be less than enamored because their favorite local band got left off the bill for a band with poc. Just like colleges who fear disparaging wealthy whites by allowing "unqualified" poc to the school. It leads directly to lowered sales. This article (and articles of this ilk) are proof of this issue within the scene.

4. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/23/o...=Homepage&module=Trending&region=CColumn&_r=0

5. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

6. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/04/18/the-perils-of-being-a-black-philosopher/

7. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

8. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

The Problem With MAC's New Vibe Tribe Collection

9. thischarmingman

tweets: @lamebandguy Prestigious

can anyone enlighten me on what shaun king did?

10. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

11. thischarmingman

tweets: @lamebandguy Prestigious

yeah i heard about the plagiarism thing, but a few months ago him and a lot of the other original #blm folks had a huge falling out and i never figured out what the deal was? I don't even know if I'm asking in the right spot, but i'm assuming people here would know.

12. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

13. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

14. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

I'm sure I'll get called another cog of the "establishment" or something like that, but he's right. Movements have always historically put pressure on elected officials to enact policy changes, and gotten involved in the political process to get the changes they wanted. Eventually you have to move from the protests to the voting booth.

But I think he's being somewhat dishonest by implying BLM isn't doing that. DeRay McKesson is/was trying in Baltimore. He's been unable to get much traction, but it's pretty obvious BLM is doing a lot more than just "yelling".

15. scroopy.noopers

: (

I have an old childhood friend who became a cop in Indianpolis on facebook. He doesn't post often, but occasionally shares stuff from these kinds of pages. I can't help myself but to explore the page further and become overwhelmed with despair.

Security Check Required

16. scroopy.noopers

: (

Do you honestly think change can be made from within the current economic and government systems?

17. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

18. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

I don't like Tea Partyers as much as the next guy, but I'm pretty sure they've been pretty influential to conservatism. We may not feel it as much living out here in the north east tho.

19. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

Oh they have been, just how BLM should be given the space and time to empower true leftists. However, Tea Partyers weren't being shut down by everyone from the president down, telling them to stop just yelling. They were given the room to gain traction and now they can actually compete for seats in congress, and that's scary. Why should BLM be shut down and derided as "just yelling" when those on the far Right weren't?

20. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

The underlying assumption is that they'd be voting for democrats. He would be wrong. The other alternative is to build a party that actually represents people of color, as opposed to using them, then discarding them, which has been he policy of his administration.

21. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

22. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

The narrative is that BLM interrupt peaceful presidential candidate speeches and rioted and looted Ferguson, Missouri. Meanwhile Tea Partiers hold peaceful protests and pick up after themselves.

nohandstoholdonto and Richter915 like this.
  23. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

Richter915 likes this.
  24. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/01/opinion/campaign-stops/the-upside-to-overt-racism.html?ref=opinion

That doubt is wise. When it comes to getting to “a better place with race,” there’s no reason for blind optimism. We should have a healthy fear that we’ll never get over the continuing effects of racism instead of a sugarcoated assumption that time and shifting census data on race will fix it.

Mr. Trump and his supporters have reignited that fear, even in people who claimed they couldn’t hear dog whistles. Even in people who swore they didn’t believe in ghosts.

25. I think I made a post saying how people will ask you "what are you" or "are you (fill in blank)" and then tell you "no you're not you're definitely (fill in blank)" when you tell them. That happened to me last night. It doesn't matter if the dudes were drunk, I told them I was offended by them. They proceeded to ask me what my last name was because they didn't belive me that I'm Hispanic. Rude.