Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Official Racism Thread Social • Page 79

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  2. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

3. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

AelNire likes this.
  4. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

This is a really fucking good piece. People should take some time to read it:

"In case the cotton proved too scant or poor to cover the amount that had been advanced against its eventual sale, or in case the cotton market dipped in the time between when an advance was made and the time the crop came in, cotton merchants required some sort of security from the planters to whom they loaned money. That security was the value of the enslaved. Therefore, given that enslaved people were the collateral upon which the entire system depended, it seems absurd to persist in asking whether the political economy of slavery was or was not “capitalist.” Enslaved people were the capital. Their value in 1860 was equal to all of the capital invested in American railroads, manufacturing, and agricultural land combined.....

Indeed, if one traces the legal history of private property in the United States back, trying to find a legal foundation for determining why (legally rather than morally speaking) we own what we think we own, at the bottom lies the decision of the United States Supreme Court in the case of Johnson v. McIntosh(1823). At stake in the case was the question of whether white settlers could purchase land directly from native inhabitants, and the answer of the Supreme Court was “no.” Native American lands, the court ruled, must be passed through the public domain of the United States before being converted into the private property of white inhabitants. In other words, the foundation of the law of property in the United States combines, at once, the imperial assertion of U.S. sovereignty and the identification of that project with continental racial governance..."

To Remake the World: Slavery, Racial Capitalism, and Justice | Boston Review

5. Zip It Chris

Be kind; everyone is on their own journey.

6. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

jfc

7. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

8. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

9. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

The hot takes on twitter might be the most cancerous hot takes can get

iCarly Rae Jepsen and sophos34 like this.
  10. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

Ehhhh Reddit still exists hahaha

11. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

Wow. I've never heard of environmental racism. Good to know.

I took down the tweet. I look very stupid rn.

12. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

Haha it happens I'm sure not many people are familiar with the concept. Good learning moment!

13. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

14. iCarly Rae Jepsen

At least they're sometimes funny like appropriating daddy

15. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

That's so creepy and I wish it never started

Spencer Control likes this.
  16. Jake Gyllenhaal

Can someone put together a concise reason why cultural appropriation is wrong, specifically whites dressing as Native Americans? In the last few hours I came across Hillary Duff's boyfriend dressing up and seeing on Facebook the brother of a friend of mine dress up and his infant son as cowboys while his wife was dressed as a Native American woman.

17. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

What's Wrong with Cultural Appropriation? These 9 Answers Reveal Its Harm

these are usually the main reasons. and i think the top 2 are super important. it shows why it's insensitive (to say the least).

18. iCarly Rae Jepsen

for Native Americans specifically I mean we took their land, obliterated them and ostracized them, and then with the costume it's kind of making fun of the culture even though I don't think that's the intention

Here's Why You Shouldn't Wear A Native American Headdress

Jake Gyllenhaal likes this.
  19. digital by birth

Evolution not revolution

Hey do you think the use of the N Word has any place in the modern world? Whether used by white or black people and in any context whether positive or negative?

20. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

Please read her threads, super important. Click on the tweets.

21. iam1bearcat

i'm writing a book, leave me alone.

Was watching random episodes of The Duel 2. One of those MTV Challenge shows and man, the opening credits are so awful. A bunch of Caucasian males and females decked out in Under Armour apparel doing some type of chant and dance specific to natives of New Zealand (believe that's where they are). And every episode starts that way. Eeeeeesh.

22. The_Effort

Regular Supporter

I think it should be up to the people it effects, at least as far as whether or not to reclaim the word.
    This reminds me of something I came across recently and was bothered by though.

I know a few white people who refuse to listen to rap/hip-hop because of the use of the word and how they 'don't want to hear anybody saying it', but that to me feels like a cheap way to discredit a huge movement in black art.

Especially when those people also love horror movies and all kinds of other art that is meant to challenge the audience with sometimes hard to swallow ideas.
    When they draw the line at black people saying the N word, or using the word "b****", but love Quentin Tarantino movies, I feel like something isn't adding up.

So i guess my point/actual response is that poc should be the ones to decide where it is or isn't acceptable and whether or not to reclaim it.
    The only argument I've ever seen against poc using it came from white guys who seemed more interested in being offended by the art than examining it.

23. Jake Gyllenhaal

Police: Wife Of Millbury Cop Faked Robbery, Vandalism Of Own Home

Dominick likes this.
  24. digital by birth

Evolution not revolution

That's all fine Rob except I would disagree with the fact it's a "Reclaimation" of the word. You hear that a lot and "reclaim" would suggest that it was black people using the N would to start with, when of course it was actually a racist slur from slave owners. I think it would be truer to say something l like a Claiming or subversion of the word. But hey I'm splitting hairs.

25. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

I use the word on a daily basis. I use it with other black folks to convey a shared struggle and history. It is for us to say if it is to be done away with or not.