Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Official Racism Thread Social • Page 62

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

image.jpeg

CarpetElf and Richter915 like this.
  2. DeviantRogue

Take arms, it'll all blow over Prestigious

My favorite thing is people popping in for one or two posts, posting their enlightened hot take and peacing out immediately.

Carmensaopaulo likes this.
  3. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

thanks to @Tim i did some research on Lecrae and i found this good article on HuffPost.

Rapper Has Choice Words For Christians Who Don’t Want Him To Talk About Race

iCarly Rae Jepsen, Tim and St. Nate like this.
  4. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Lecrae is awesome. He's very popular in Christian circles, particularly youth groups (even aggressively white ones), and he and frequent collaborator Propaganda are both so bold in talking about race issues. It's my hope that they help at least some church people coming up today have a decent understanding of privilege, police brutality, etc. Conservative circles could certainly use it.

5. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

that's really good, it's definitely needed.

thanks to @Spencer Control I found out about Propaganda (and some other hip-hop), really like Excellent.

Tim likes this.
  6. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

This song and a college class I had on African history (which I don't actually remember too well) were the beginning of me understanding race. I'll always be thankful to Prop for that.

lightning13 likes this.
  7. thischarmingman

tweets: @lamebandguy Prestigious

if i'm half white and half filipino is it like weird to want t distance myself from my european ancestry (german) and embrace filipino culture?? i feel like one of those ppl who go to east and suddenly love yoga and buddhism

8. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Being mixed can be a weird place to be. If it's your culture I say embrace it! It's who you are! I'm mixed and look white affff but I grew up with the Latino side of my family and have never been close to the white side. I felt weird about identifying more with the Latino side since I look so pale and don't speak Spanish fluently but idk it is what it is I guess! Just say screw it and do what feels right imo!

9. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

Lecrae's never been my cup of tea, but yes dawg Propaganda is great, check out the rest of Humble Beast records for good stuff!

Tim and lightning13 like this.
  10. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

I almost read this as humble bundle

11. DeviantRogue

humble bundle would be a good album name.

12. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

Humble Bumble

lightning13 and DeviantRogue like this.
  13. thischarmingman

i mean...i don't speak to my biological dad i guess and my household growing up was really filipino so i guess it makes sense. just feels awkward when i run into like "real" filipino peeps.

14. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

There are going to be a lot of circumstances in your life that make you feel like you're not Filipino enough but none of those things do anything to change the fact that being Filipino is a part of you.

I struggled with a similar issue for a really long time because some people (Americans, ironically) would say I wasn't Brazilian, even though I spend a lot of time in Brazil, I speak Portuguese and my entire family/heritage is Brazilian but I was born and raised in the States. The fact is no one can tell you how to be Filipino or what a real Filipino is. The culture you grew up with in your household is Filipino, you have Filipino heritage and you feel close to your culture. That's all anyone can ask for from anyone who claims to be Filipino.

15. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Yeah I get it. Sometimes I feel totally inadequate or like a poser or something. There have def been times where i wished my mom wasnt white or my gma taught us spanish so i could "fit in" with a side. I think being mixed there's often a weird identity crisis where you don't feel "enough" for either side. Or at least that's my experience. But you can't please everyone! I always thought if I learned Spanish I'd feel more accepted but tbh my Spanish speaking friends still don't feel accepted cause they're not actually from Mexico. But then I've met ppl from Mexico who don't feel accepted cause they're dark skinned. It's like this vicious cycle of nobody being "enough" or "real" and it's pretty toxic.

So tl;dr I hope you start feeling more comfortable with your identity soon! It's a weird road to navigate for sure!

16. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

Whether or not you feel fully any one thing, rest assured the one drop rule remains in effect and you're, generally, considered a full-blooded minority by white people.

17. thischarmingman

thx guys. i tried like learning more about the history and stuff of the Philippines and learning tagalog and whatnot to speak to my grandparents...but then i started to feel like a poser kind of. and i hate posers.

EDIT:

side note: does anyone listen to NAILS? i like the band but all their merch has very weird neo-nazi, white supremacist undertones. i know they are not actually like that but still...

Richter915 and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  18. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

my cousins are also half-Fillipino, but they're young 7 and 9, I've never really thought about this but I'm going to keep this in mind

thischarmingman likes this.
  19. DeviantRogue

Generally where there is smoke there's fire, in terms of neo-nazi undertones in the metal scene.

20. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

Yes and no. Bands might completely bemoan racism but yet they draw that crowd for some reason. It's kind of like skinhead culture that got co opted by white supremacists. I absolutely love nails but I have no idea if they have any deliberately racist ties.

Being dark skinned I wouldn't feel safe at most metal or hardcore shows. That scene can be extremely toxic.

thischarmingman and DeviantRogue like this.
  21. AelNire Sep 5, 2016
    (Last edited: Sep 5, 2016)
    AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

I forget that white supremacists don't automatically look like the dude from American History X. They're everywhere and I shouldn't stereotype but in my mind that's what they look like.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  22. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

I basically distrust any white male when I first meet them. Misogyny and racism are part of that culture, I just gotta play it safe.

23. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

not really tho. not like every black metal band is a nazi band even though that's the genres roots

24. DeviantRogue

True, but there is certainly enough of a past there to have a perfectly valid sense of unease when listening to those bands, and especially going to those shows as Richter pointed out.

Richter915 likes this.
  25. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

shows yes, bands in general idk because a lot of bands made it a point to deviate drastically from those ideals, like blut aus nord, ash borer, wolves in the throne room, etc that have ties to anarchist black metal scenes that cropped up as a direct response to the nationalist black metal scene

Richter915 and DeviantRogue like this.