Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Official Racism Thread Social • Page 6

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

i believe it dude. white people can be super fragile and lacking in awareness including myself

Richter915 likes this.
  2. Don't forget Garcia! lol.
    Even though my last name is very Hispanic (it also can pass as Filipino) people never believe me that I'm Hispanic :sly:

3. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

ehem... like.. the fetish?

*whistles innocently*

4. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah. I'm not interested in being a prop for the libidinal aspects of white supremacy.

5. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

I've warmed up to white people being genuinely ignorant about race issues but when whitesplaining starts happening, nope.

6. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

Close friend of mine is a NYC middle school teacher. Told me how a bunch of other teachers think reverse racism is real and that you can be racist against white people.

Again, these are teachers in NYC.

Dominick likes this.
  7. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Black people can't be racist. Prejudice, yes, but not racist. Racism describes a system of disadvantage based on race. Black people can't be racist since they don't stand to benefit from such a system.

Richter915 likes this.
  8. alex

notgonz Prestigious

Thanks, Jake

gonz (Alex) likes this.
  9. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

This explanation should be incorporated into high school level social studies. It's a great way to introduce kids into the topic before they make up their own ignorant definitions based on what is shown in the media.

10. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

Another lesson: if you're a cis white dude that has an opinion, shut the fuck up and listen before putting it out into the world.

OhTheWater and Mokena like this.
  11. alex

notgonz Prestigious

There needs to be a major educational reevaluation of the Civil Rights Movement as a whole, but I don't see that happening any time soon

Richter915 likes this.
  12. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

If you have young adults who think that all race relations were fixed with the emancipation proclamation, something is clearly wrong.

Can white people effectively teach racism? I never trusted my teachers on these topics.

Jacob likes this.
  13. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

14. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Forgot to mention that was a line from the film "Dear White People"

15. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

The problem is that I think this is only an accepted definition of racism in some schools of sociological thought, and not really accepted across the entire field yet, let alone accepted as the everyday (read: non-academic) definition. Which of course would mean the political fight over "indoctrination" would be a mess if there was a push to put that definition in the SS curriculum.

16. Malatesta

yeah we completely rewrite history re slavery/Civil War, our treatment of Native Americans, and pretty much every topic in which we have to pretend America isnt the greatest nation to ever exist so i dont think we're going to fix that any time soon especially since every time i try to argue that point i just get a bunch of people like "dude that was 200 years ago what do you want me to do" like i just want you to acknowledge it for starters dawg

Mokena likes this.
  17. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

I'm curious on opinions on this as well.

18. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Sad but true.

Though I will say that it depends on the teacher. A lot of teachers teach those things correctly (or at least more correctly) these days, but a lot of the textbooks still get written by right wing Texas school board members, so unfortunately the textbooks aren't always in line with what's being taught.

19. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

In college I took a class called Interrupting Oppression or something taught by a white lady. She wasn't bad, but I think it would've been more interesting taught from someone else. I took a hate crimes class taught by a white dude once. That class was not good. Now that I think of it my intro sociology and anthro classes were taught by white professors and those weren't good either. Most of my professors were POC tho. I think I only had a handful that were white.

20. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

This. My girlfriend makes an active effort to cover all bases when she teaches. Most recently they put up a huge article NYT article on their bulletin board about the ISIS attacks in Belgium. She went and posted the significantly shorter pieces covering ISIS attacks in Africa and the Middle East. Probably helps that the school principal is Muslim.

St. Nate likes this.
  21. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

22. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

I had two professors, both white, that addressed racism pretty well.

23. Malatesta

24. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

25. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

Well, there certainly do happen to be a lot of accidents involving the police. But even if it wasn't, ending a man's life should merit more than community service, which I am certain will be far from where the murder occurred for fear someone might visit justice upon him. The fact that he felt the need to draw a gun in a predominantly black space is demonstrative of how violence is the primary intermediary between the community and the police.