Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Official Racism Thread Social • Page 5

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Yeah I'm Hispanic. It annoys me the most when people think I have to speak Spanish and it's a crime that I don't.

2. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I really wish I was fluent in Spanish and it bothers me that I'm not, but people should lay off. I think people see language as a huge part of the culture so they get upset when other Latinos don't speak it, but there's a lot of reasons why someone wouldn't know the language and I wish it was treated with more sensitivity. My dad is brown and works at a grocery store and he is kind of ashamed about not speaking Spanish fluently and he's had customers yell at him and accuse him of lying and not wanting to help them when he says he can't speak it. It doesn't accomplish anything but make people feel bad.

3. That's awful and I'm sorry your dad has gone through that. People really need to stop. A girl I had in one of my classes was Hispanic and didn't speak Spanish, she worked at a Mexican restaurant (I think it was a Mexican restaurant) and she said she had customers ask for another server because she didn't know the language. People these days...

4. Kiana

idk, I kinda get it. The language is really important to people and due to assimilation and immigrants wanting their kids to "fit in" the language gets lost through the generations. I totally get wanting to preserve it and wanting people to speak it, tho obv I don't like ppl being made to feel bad. My ire is mostly with ppl who make Spanish speakers feel ashamed or bullied into not passing down the language. It's a big shame.

5. JordanKTM

@jordanmohler @killthemusictv killthemusic.net Prestigious

That was me; I was wanting for someone to word it better than I could

6. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

I like a nice interracial relationship.

7. If you really think you're just not at all attracted to an entire race/cultural group, you should probably reevaluate some things.

iCarly Rae Jepsen and Kiana like this.
  8. St. Nate

Mitski sums up my thoughts pretty well.

9. Kiana

It brings up some really nasty things and I feel it implies that everyone of that race looks similar? With how many people there are, idek how that could be a thing people say. I totally get poc that don't wanna date white ppl because of racism and power balance issues tho. But everything else just smh.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  10. St. Nate

I get it when someone has a preference. But when I hear "I won't" or "I don't"... like wuh? Are you telling me that one random day you took the time to decide what ethnicities you wont date? Like wuh? Why?

11. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

Dating white people is a chore. They're so fragile. And don't even get me started on white men in the queer community. No thanks.

Richter915 likes this.
  12. Kiana

I never thought I'd have to be skeptical of dating white men because of the white privilege I have, but I've still been fetishized a lot and called "My little Latina" and stuff so I'm always on high alert with them now.

Dominick likes this.
  13. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

There's definitely a fetish thing going on for many of them. I dated a woman that thought it was okay to say the "n" word because we were dating. So, I had to break it off and do the emotional labor of explaining why what she did was completely fucking terrible.

14. Kiana

I think I am appealing to white men who want to seem down because they can say they're dating someone who is mixed but I look super white so I'm not ~like those other ones. Come to think of I've had white friends that are like that too. They like to bring up my ethnicity as some sort of fun fact party trick, but then will talk about the "scary Mexicans."

15. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

I've noticed white people like to do the: "oh, you're eating such and such food. That must be your •insert race• side"

Like, that's not how it works you twit.

Kiana likes this.
  16. Kiana

lol yep. I get that a lot. Or if I don't like something stereotypical of my ethnicity I'm not being good at my ethnicity.

One time I was giving a white friend a ride somewhere and had Latin music playing. They were like "omg my Latina friend is playing Spanish music. Wild!" like we were on some sort of exotic cruise and I was like "...." They really like when you fit stereotypes in their heads.

Dominick likes this.
  17. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

Haha. Agreed. Every time I talk to a white friend about hip-hop, they feel the need to use the slang to talk about it, otherwise, I guess, they fear I won't be able to understand their feelings about it.

Kiana likes this.
  18. I felt like a guy didn't want to date me because I wasn't Asian, but never said it… we obviously liked each other and everyone knew we were in to each other. I always wonder what happened.

19. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

IS THIS ABOUT ME DOM WHY R U REVERSE RACIST

20. St. Nate

Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, I think a negative byproduct of racism is that minority groups can tend to become more exclusive rather than inclusive.

21. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

sounds like an oxymoron to me.

St. Nate likes this.
  22. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

outside of my closest friends, people don't know that I listen to punk rock/metal and absolutely abhor anything Bollywood. I hate the reaction of "how can you not like your own culture" or "how is it you can like white culture so much".

23. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

that's so many layers of disturbing, sorry you've dealt with garbage like that. geez.

24. Kiana Apr 17, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 17, 2016)
    Kiana

Today someone didn't believe my last name is Spanish because it's not Rodriguez or Lopez. Apparently those are the only two choices. I had to look up the name on wikipedia, tell them the name origin, and list off all the notable people with my last name who were mostly from Latin America for them to believe me. Life is weird.

Richter915 likes this.
  25. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

Haha. Nine times out of ten, the white dudes I've given a chance to have been more interested in "race play" than anything serious and just, in general, were trifling as fuck.