Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Official Racism Thread Social • Page 3

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

Buying into the idea that racism is not an issue.

Collin Skeen likes this.
  2. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

Saw two high schoolers (no way that assumption is incorrect) at a gas station saying fuck and shit every other word. One of them referred to the other as *****, of course. One of the cons of living in a town full of hicks.

Collin Skeen likes this.
  3. St. Nate

tell me more about your foreign hick town.

Collin Skeen likes this.
  4. muttley

That first post sums it up pretty well. Though I did forget to mention they were white.

Collin Skeen likes this.
  5. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

You and your small town fetish!

Apparently today at the main office they had a cultural day and were encouraged to dress in "international wear, and bring ethnic food." I wonder how that went.

Collin Skeen and St. Nate like this.
  6. St. Nate

I want to visit that town as a tourist and take pictures.

Collin Skeen and Iago like this.
  7. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

They'll chase you out with pitchforks and Kenny chesney.

Collin Skeen likes this.
  8. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

What helped you rid yourself of such colonization?

Collin Skeen likes this.
  9. St. Nate

I think it's apart of unlearning racism when you're a POC who can be oppressed and privileged.

Collin Skeen and Richter915 like this.
  10. demandtheimpossible

Resident Anti-Capitalist

I would like to elaborate on this just a bit. This is a cultural issue, one that transcends what the individual can necessarily deal with on their own. We all live in a society built on white supremacy and our social structures have been created by this reality. When we understand that racism is more than simply overt actions against POC, we can begin to question the social structures that exist directly and form a more cohesive process of creating a culture that recognizes these embedded biases.

Collin Skeen and Richter915 like this.
  11. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

@St. Nate @demandtheimpossible thanks for the responses. Yes, I agree that it's a multi-layered problem. I'm always curious how individuals like myself (as Nate put it, "oppressed and privileged") recognize the problem of supremacy and, more acutely, overcome that issue. For example, in my household, the lowest standard was always "at least we're not black or spanish (my parents' go to word for hispanics)". Now, this absolutely feeds into the supremacist hierarchy in which we had no role in building. I only came to realize that in my 20s, before that I just hated my culture for buying into racism.

The issue moving forward is how to teach myself, those in my community, and potentially children on how "yes you will be judged for being Muslim, but here's how you overcome that oppression without feelings of guilt and fear"

Collin Skeen likes this.
  12. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

welcome! If you've got any color in you, you're welcome here. I think with a lot of "privileged minorities", there's this subtext in our lives to avoid racism and that we should feel lucky to even be in the US. Takes a while to undo that misunderstanding.

Collin Skeen likes this.
  13. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

White Teachers Expect Less Than Black Teachers From Black Students

Collin Skeen likes this.
  14. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/03/opinion/sunday/the-dirty-old-men-of-pakistan.html?ref=opinion

the content of this piece is very important, I'm not by any means discounting that...what I find offensive is that this op-ed came out online less than a week after a devastating terrorist bombing in Pakistan. Couldn't this article have waited? It's not as though a week or two's worth of time would've changed any hearts or minds. What does the piece really do? It's planted to remind us "hey guys, I know you're all #Lahore now but that nation is still controlled by Islamist savages". The NYT is very quickly becoming the Bill Maher of mainstream media.

Collin Skeen likes this.
  15. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

16. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

Decolonising the Mind - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Collin Skeen and algae like this.
  17. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

Collin Skeen and Mokena like this.
  18. carina

yr royal highness

Collin Skeen and Dominick like this.
  19. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

Oh France...TW: racist language

France debates the N-word

Collin Skeen likes this.
  20. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

jesus why isn't this getting more news airtime, crazy.
    i'm not the one to say, so grain of salt, but i think this is exactly what this thread is about, so no worries about posting it :) if others disagree though they might be more well-informed than i.

Collin Skeen and Mokena like this.
  21. muttley

Today alone, I've heard two people in my family say people need to speak English here. Both situations were unrelated, too. It's repulsive.

No one needs to get on this mandatory yet imaginary level that you think you're on.

"Why do I have to press 1 for English?!"
    Because you speak English, you fuck.

Collin Skeen likes this.
  22. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

"6 arrested, 30 hurt during Villanova post-game celebration"

Said the caption under a picture of a burning street corner with a mob of rich white kids in hoodies

"We're just trying to clean it up," Flanagan said, just before 2:30 am, adding that police were not forcing students to leave the celebration, but giving "general reminders."

Collin Skeen likes this.
  23. Collin Skeen

Regular

Having grown up in Appalachia, I can totally relate with where you're coming from. Even some of my students now say these types of things in class. It's really depressing but I've had a lot of success with trying to bridge between my line of thinking and theirs. I don't think people are inherently malicious or evil -- people believe what they believe for a reason (ourselves included) and, while that doesn't necessarily justify it, understanding where they're coming from is the only way that we can truly eradicate things like racism.

Treating the symptom and not the cause is why American racism didn't die with slavery, IMO.

24. muttley

Right, and I see that with my family. I've tried to think of different ways to explain it so they can see even a fraction of it differently and maybe start to change, but it's tough when they're so closed minded and hostile. Come to think of it, I've started to keep my mouth shut because it seems impossible.

Collin Skeen likes this.
  25. Collin Skeen

Regular

That's not necessarily a problem -- see it as a chance to listen, a chance to figure out just where you can build a bridge from you to them, from them to other people who are suffering. At the end of the day, most groups really have the same enemy -- it's just a matter of getting them to see it. KEEP UP THE GOOD FIGHT! I believe in you! You can change the world, one person at a time. :devil::teethsmile::teethsmile:

muttley likes this.