Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Official Racism Thread Social • Page 2

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. carina

yr royal highness

He doesn't use social media, and rarely uses the internet outside of a Netflix/gaming/random Googling capacity, so I don't think he really reads anything I post? Also, we've already had the discussion on us growing up with different ideologies, so I think for him, it's one part ignorance, and the other part stubbornness? Like an unwillingness to see something because there are other things to do at that moment, so it won't matter til later on type thing. But also a lot of my annoyance stems from him not realizing that certain issues that don't affect him affect me. Privilege blinders are so real.

2. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

Richter915 likes this.
  3. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

RE: My post in the AP Racism thread, here are some resources that my colleagues were kind enough to share (If this isn't allowed or w/e let me know and I can take it down):

Black Marxism - Cedric J. Robinson
    Black Marxism-Cedric J. Robinson.pdf

Ella Baker and the Black Freedom Movement: A Radical Democratic Vision
    Barbara Ransby Ella Baker and the Black Freedom Movement_ A Radical Democratic Vision 2003.pdf

Assata (Shakur): An Autobiography
    assata-an-autobiography-by-assata-shakur-copy.pdf

Precolonial Black Africa - Cheikh Anta Diop
    Cheikh Anta Diop - Precolonial Black Africa.pdf

What's Race Got to Do With It (Introduction) - Bree Picower and Edwin Mayorga
    INTRO_WhatsRace_Mayorga and Picower.pdf

The Politcal Economy of Urban Education - Rury & Mirel
    The Politcal Economy of Urban Education - Rury & Mirel.pdf

From the Achievement Gap to the Education Debt - Gloria Ladson-Billings
    From the Achievement Gap to the Education Debt - Gloria Ladson-Billings.pdf

LWS and Richter915 like this.
  4. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

Needs some Afro-pessimism. And Aime Caesare.

5. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Any links/recs are greatly appreciated!

6. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

Ya, pretty much why I've only had Muslim SOs since college. That shit can be beyond frustrating.

7. Every white male SO I've had, upon reflection. None of them "got involved in politics, none of that stuff matters". So frustrating.

carina likes this.
  8. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

A Few Notes to the Intramural on Afropessimism

"
    Afropessimism does not posit a death sentence to what blackness could be, but recognizes the world’s death sentence as a structuring condition for black life. This theory embraces the umembraceable aspect of blackness as a mode of theorizing: the question of suffering and how to name the violence that causes it. This is not a reduction of black people to suffering, but a desire to speak to the unimaginable aspects of our suffering — to see black suffering as a profound site of interrogation.

Race operates through ontology because race is a socially produced belief about the being of collectivities. This ontology may be what we call a fantasy, but fantasies obtain material force through the political acts of bodies. This ontology can also be said to never accomplish itself, so duration brings about mutation and perfection. Killing gets more efficient, forms of subjection become more sophisticated or stagnate, collapse, only to become fertile soil for another position. This is to say, this ontology is produced through fundamentally, perhaps tragically, political processes. The modern world is politically structured according to racist ontology via at least 500 years of slavery, genocide, colonization, racial capital, and white supremacist gender and sexual normativity. Therefore, race is the political ontology of the world not in spite of history, but through the force of actions accumulated across a span of time."

St. Nate and OhTheWater like this.
  9. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

"“If this pain has been largely unspoken and unrecognized, it is due to the sheer denial of black sentience rather than the inexpressibility of pain. The purported immunity of blacks to pain is absolutely essential to the spectacle of contented subjection or, at the very least, to discrediting the claims of pain. The black is both insensate and content, indifferent to pain and induced to work by threats of corporal punishment. These contradictions are partly explained by the ambiguous and precarious status of the black body — this abhorrence then serves to justify acts of violence that exceed normative standards of the humanely tolerable, though within the limits of the socially tolerable as concerned the black slave. In this regard, pain is essential to the making of productive slave laborers. The sheer enormity of this pain overwhelms or exceeds the limited forms of redress available to the enslaved. Thus the significance of the performative lies not in the ability to overcome this condition of provide remedy but in creating a context for the collective enunciation of this pain, transforming need into politics, and cultivating pleasure as a limited response to need and a desperately insufficient form of redress.”
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/0195089847/?tag=absolutepunk-20

OhTheWater likes this.
  10. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Thank you

Dominick likes this.
  11. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

"...the steps taken by Hitler and Hitlerism and to reveal to the very distinguished, very humanistic, very Christian bourgeois of the twentieth century that without his being aware of it, he has a Hitler inside him, that Hitler inhabits him, that Hitler is his demon, that if he rails against him, he is being inconsistent and that, at bottom, what he cannot forgive Hitler for is not crime in itself, the crime against man, it is not the humiliation of man as such, it is the crime against the white man, the humiliation of the white man, and the fact that he applied to Europe colonialist procedures which until then had been reserved exclusively for the Arabs of Algeria, the coolies of India, and the blacks of Africa."

Discourse on Colonialism

12. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

13. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

14. Zoshchenko Apr 1, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 1, 2016)
    Zoshchenko

Trusted Supporter

Hopefully this fits here and I'm not intruding; I'm currently a student at the University of Wisconsin-Madison and there's been a lot going on around campus these last two months. If anyone is interested in reading about it, there's a hashtag on Twitter and Facebook where students have been sharing their experiences with bias, hate, racism, etc. on campus. There's also been some local news articles that I can link to, if that's better for people. #TheRealUW

Truthfully, I'm not sure how UW stacks up against other PWIs, but the black population of campus is only 2.86%. Moreover, Madison / Dane County have some of the worst racial disparities in the country. Wisconsin (at least as of 2013) incarcerates the most black men of any US state.

Many students, including me, come to UW with these visions of a liberal utopia. We're told that Madison is one of the best college towns, one of the best campuses, very progressive, etc. The part that's always left out of these articles is: Madison is a great town (for white people).

Many people these last few weeks have been supremely upset with the administration's slow response, especially since emails sent out to the student body were initially only sent out to students of color, then to the broader community.

Tonight, the campus had another incident. I don't want to do disservice to the incident by attempting to put it in my own words, but it can be seen through the hashtags. In response to the incident, the Vice Provost of UW, Patrick Sims, released a pretty emotional video.

I've learned a lot these last few year about social justice, race, diversity, etc. I grew up in the white suburbs of Chicago and never had any depth for these issues. I've been incredibly fortunate to become friends with more people on this campus and learn more about feminism, LGBTQIA+, gender, race, and social justice issues in general. I still have a lot to learn and many more conversations to be had. I hope I can engage in some of them here.

Again, I'm sorry if this doesn't fit here or if it's not something people care about. I'm still getting my feet wet here at Chorus.

15. carina

yr royal highness

:( After Mizzou and Emory, this is just upsetting.

16. thischarmingman

tweets: @lamebandguy Prestigious

i was never into like learning about race or gender or anything until my gf woke me the hell up. now i like to learn as much as i can, but not participate, only because i feel like i don't belong in race conversations that aren't about being asian. even then it's a little weird because i'm half german/half filipino, so it always feels like i'm playing up my asian side, even though i grew up in a pretty filipino household.

one thing i feel, just through experience with my own family, is that a lot of asian people will really just totally not get racism at all until it affects asians. anyone else with an asian household feel this?

17. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

Come with me. Take my hand. As an Asian man who talks quite candidly about race I will show you my ways.

Lesson 1: Decolonize your mind.

Lesson 2: It is important to be an ally in other marginalized groups struggle against systemic racism.

For lessons 3-10 please pay a tuition of $10,000.

18. thischarmingman

@St. Nate hah. i've been pretty white-washed my whole life man. there was a point in middle school when i would only hang out with other asians then that kind of fell off when i started feeling like being asian was uncool or dorky. now i'm trying to re-establish and learn more about filipino culture from like my grandparents and stuff.

Richter915 likes this.
  19. St. Nate

Ah, you're that Asian guy in school. We would talk about you... jk.

I haven't always been like this. My mind has been colonized. I think I've always thought I've maintained a good balance between what Id call my "Indonesian world" and my regular world. I'll admit that in high school I went through this phase where I was anti-FOB and didn't want to hang out with those AZNS that would turn out to be some of my closest friends. Though I wasn't really outwardly projecting this mindset, inside my head I had this false belief that I was superior for being more "American" and listening to Brand New and stuff like that.

Anyway its great that you're trying to reconnect with your roots. All my high school friends are Filipino and everyone thinks I am one so I could probably teach you a thing or two too.

Lesson 1: Line Dance

Richter915 likes this.
  20. thischarmingman

haha honestly my family has been more of the lechon backyard party type and only busted out the line dancing on special occasions.

i feel like now that i've grown up, i'm sort of like out of the whole FOB/truXasian and more into just embracing a lot of what asian cultures have to offer like beyond food, anime and video games. i feel like a lot of people turn all of asia into like a giant monoculture plus india. it's kinda irritating. i also feel like i, myself, have done the same thing and i'm trying really hard to not do that anymore. bleh. life.

Richter915 likes this.
  21. St. Nate

They still bring out the Sing Star for Karaoke... right?

But hey, I'm in the same boat as you. I have the same frustration on racism towards Asians and the same internal conflict. Understanding racism and the reality of our own identities as Asian-Americans is a day by day process of learning and unlearning.

Richter915 likes this.
  22. JordanKTM

@jordanmohler @killthemusictv killthemusic.net Prestigious

How do you explain to people that you don't date your own race? Serious question.

Richter915 likes this.
  23. St. Nate

Uh... I guess it depends on the reason? Why not?

Edit: PM me if you think that's probably better to do.

Richter915 likes this.
  24. demandtheimpossible

Resident Anti-Capitalist

And it's been that way since the founding of this country.

Hell, housing discrimination has been a staple of the North throughout Jim Crow into the modern era. Yet people think that not lynching black folks puts them on par with MLK.

Richter915 likes this.
  25. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

what is colonization of the mind?