Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Official Country Music Thread Genre • Page 94

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Craig Manning, Mar 15, 2016.

1. CellarGhosts

Trusted Prestigious

jesus christ finally lol

Brother Beck and Craig Manning like this.
  2. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Good lord, the label has fucked this release up so badly that I'm not even excited about it anymore. She released the first single from this album like a year and a half ago.

Country music can't stop shooting itself in the foot with EPs.

Brother Beck likes this.
  3. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Yeah at one point I was excited but after this rollout debacle and my thoughts about the full band releases of the songs, I'm pretty meh on it at this point.

Brother Beck likes this.
  4. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

mattfreaksmeout likes this.
  5. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Having a lot of fun with the Little Big Town album

6. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

I'm vibing with this Steve Moakler album - the idea of rural America personified in music form

7. Dave Diddy

8. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Gonna kick my feet up and listen to this Tenille Townes album while reading The Winds of Winter.....

Dave Diddy and Craig Manning like this.
  9. Craig Manning

The really frustrating thing is that I know it isn't her fault at all (whereas, GRRM, the publishers would put that shit out any day if he ever finished the book). There are live videos from like a year and a half ago where she's talking about the album being done/introducing a song that she says is the closing track on the record. It's just a Nashville/mainstream country thing where they make all their artists release like 8 singles/usually multiple EPs before letting them actually put out albums. Especially female artists, because they almost never see the quick radio acceptance that convinces labels to fast-track the albums. Like, if "My Church" hadn't been a hit, we'd have probably gotten the first Maren Morris album last year instead of the second one. That's how slow this process is.

It's an extremely shitty trend that 1) doesn't benefit artists at all, 2) doesn't have the impact labels want it to have ("building" an audience/buzz, and 3) basically strands promising young artists in EP purgatory for 2-5 years. I hate it so much, and it's a big part of the reason that I've cooled off on country music over the last year or so. That entire segment of the industry is just shit, and makes it hard to be a fan.

A year ago I was getting press releases saying the album was "coming in 2019," and I asked them to shoot me the album as soon as it was available because I wanted to do a review/potential interview feature. Still no proper album announcement.

Matthewconte and Brother Beck like this.
  10. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

They picked the perfect outfit of hers imo.

Brother Beck likes this.
  11. derekjd

Slow down, Quentin Supporter

It's especially hard because the music industry doesn't know how to deal with albums right now. Rumor is some of the big labels are turning away from album contracts and towards masters contracts. So instead of a 3 record deal, it's like 30 masters. Since streaming has totally changed the way that labels get paid (and artists, uh... sort of get paid?) we're all sort of trying to figure out how to move through.

Still sucks though. I've loved the one or two songs I've heard from her, but don't want to dive in and ruin the full length. But at this point, I'm about to just kind of give up.

I don't think I've been this turned off a rollout plan since John Mayer's four tracks a month in 2017. Took what is objectively a fine (or even good) record of his and tainted it.

And rollout can absolutely be part of the record experience. I remember great placements and buildup (the 1975's s/t for example) that are so part of that original listen that their good will was built into my feelings around the record.

thenewmatthewperry likes this.
  12. CellarGhosts

Trusted Prestigious

Everyone needs to listen to Kassi Valazza

abcdefg123 likes this.
  13. mattfreaksmeout likes this.
  14. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

15. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

How Dare You Love from Miranda Lambert's new album is so beautiful

16. Dave Diddy

damn I really like this single from Liz Longley

17. eagles1139

Regular

JBoch likes this.
  18. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

19. Craig Manning

New Moreland is great. Subtle fleshing out of the sound without losing what makes him great. Reminds me a bit of Field Report’s Marigolden in that way.

20. Dave Diddy

Oh Moreland is out tomorrow? I thought for some reason it wasn't out til the end of February. New Moreland and Spanish Love Songs on the same day makes for a good release day.

JBoch likes this.
  21. eagles1139 Feb 6, 2020
    (Last edited: Feb 6, 2020)
    eagles1139

Regular

Moreland is really one of the best lyricists going, every release is such a treat. He's one of the few guys where with every album, I know that years from now I'll be driving and a single lyric will just hit me in the right way for the first time. This album's no different, another really strong release.

In the Throes, High on Tulsa Heat, Big Bad Luv, and LP5 might be the best recent run from a songwriter short of Isbell's.

22. Craig Manning

Tomorrow is an insanely stacked release day.

23. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

What did everyone think of the new Drive By Truckers?

24. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

its good

DaydreamNation and Nate_Johnson like this.
  25. Craig Manning

The songs on the Tenille Townes EP are great, but man, Jay Joyce just comically overproduced the thing. It's like he heard Mutt Lange's production on the turn-of-the-century Shania Twain albums and decided that level of studio gloss was a good template.

I would probably like this more if she hadn't released that acoustic EP first, but that was so great and raw and this is just a lot more faceless. Huge bummer.

Deanna likes this.