Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Official Country Music Thread Genre • Page 8

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Craig Manning, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

I did! I loved it, it's probably my second favorite after Take Shelter. I'm glad you loved it! I've seen lots of people saying they were dissapointed with it.

Matthewconte likes this.
  2. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

Yeah I just popped over to the Entertainment forums and was really surprised to see people didn't like it. I mean, I know it was slow and even a little withholding, and that's a turn-off for some people, but I didn't expect it to be a turn-off to fans of Nichols' previous work.

fenway89 likes this.
  3. Connor

I think the movie bring withholding is one of the best aspects of it! I love the complete lack of exposition!

The song during the credits his bro did was awesome too. I really need to get the Mud soundtrack. Some excellent country stuff on there

Matthewconte likes this.
  4. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, when the movie ended, my girlfriend and I were looking in the credits to see if Ben had anything to do with the music, but then the song started playing. I believe it was a Leadbelly cover...which hopefully brings us full circle and is relevant enough to country music to justify our tangent.

fenway89 likes this.
  5. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

Especially in todays culture where there is so much out there.

fenway89 likes this.
  6. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

This is a pretty old video, but I feel like a lot of people missed this song because it wasn't on Traveller.

fenway89 likes this.
  7. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

Anybody else listening to Margo Price's Midwest Farmer's Daughter?

8. Craig Manning

Yep, like that record a lot. "How the Mighty Have Fallen" is probably my favorite.

9. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

She performed on SNL recently, right?

10. Craig Manning

Yep. Last week I think?

Meerkat likes this.
  11. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

Oh I didn't even know that. That's the only episode this season I haven't watched yet.

12. CellarGhosts

Trusted Prestigious

You didn't miss much. Margo was easily the best part of the episode ha.

Craig Manning likes this.
  13. Connor

Just came across this on YouTube. Both of these guys are so good.

Dave Diddy, Craig Manning and Meerkat like this.
  14. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

Well that was lovely

fenway89 likes this.
  15. Craig Manning

This is actually what put David on my radar in the first place!

fenway89 likes this.
  16. Connor

David is so good, have you seen him live? He puts everything he has into his songs live.

Coincidentally this video is what has got me listening to Noah. If seen him mentioned around here quite a bit and listened to a song here or there. But seeing this really made him click with me! Can't get enough now. This thread has opened up all sorts of new music for me. I'm loving it

17. Craig Manning

I haven't! He played near me once since I started listening to him, but I was out of town. Haven't seen Noah yet either, but that's finally happening next week. They should have toured together.

Awesome that you're listening to Noah now though! Which album did you start with?

fenway89 likes this.
  18. Connor

When I saw him open for Dustin it was at a small venue that might as well be a garage here in SLC, and it was packed as tight as it could for Dustin, but as soon as David started playing he had the complete attention of every person in that room. I don't think there was anyone talking during the set, it was pretty emotionally heavy but so good! Him and Noah would be an incredible show, that's something we need to happen haha.

I just started off with Brand New World and just worked my way through chronologically. I don't know what I liked best, probably too soon to tell but it's been one of those days where listening through I couldn't believe it's taken me this long to start listening and become a fan!

Craig Manning likes this.
  19. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

You'll love Noah live, he doesn't disappoint. On a separate note, was that you on AP posting about Adeem the Artist? I'm loving his new cd.

Aaron Mook and Craig Manning like this.
  20. Craig Manning

Ledges is my favorite, but Carry the Ghost is pretty amazing too. I'm not quite as crazy about his EPs, simply because I started with Ledges and going back is probably not as good for appreciating his earlier stuff as starting from the beginning and working through his profession. But he's always been a good songwriter.

That would be @Aaron Mook.

Aaron Mook and fenway89 like this.
  21. ugman_2000 Apr 14, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 14, 2016)
    ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

Hey Craig, I've only recently been getting into this genre after pretty much ignoring it (I am from the uk so it's not like it's common over here). I was wondering if you had an recs as you seem to have similar tastes in music to me in a lot of other genres so I trust your judgement. Basically looking for anything you consider a stone cold classic or anything that's recent and good. Anything you can rec will be much appreciated.

Craig Manning and fenway89 like this.
  22. Craig Manning

Yeah, of course. What stuff has gotten you interested? I can rec you some stuff based on that.

23. ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

Cheers man, Eric Church was the first that got me interested, I really enjoyed Mr Misunderstood and Chief. Other artists I've checked out and enjoyed have been Justin Townes Earle, Zac Brown Band, Caddilac Three and The Dixie Chicks (although I only really liked Taking The Long Way). Basically anything with a slight rock tinge or anything that has some substance behind it. I'm open to checking anything out though.

24. fastlife

Regular Supporter

Finally got around to checking out the new Sturgill Simpson on NPR and I'm liking it a lot. Hoping to snag a ticket to see him play it in full at Rough Trade next week.

25. Craig Manning

There's a list of a bunch of my modern favorites in the OP (The Official Country Music Thread • forum.chorus.fm) so you can check that if you really want to dive in. In particular, I'd recommend Jason Isbell and Logan Brill. The new Sturgill Simpson album out tomorrow is definitely work getting in on early. And if you want to listen to a classic artist, might as well participate in the Merle Haggard discussion that's going on this week.

If you want to know more about a bunch of the artists in the OP, a good number of them made my EOTY list in 2015. The original post obviously went away with AP, but I reposted it on my blog:

Closer to the Truth and Further From the Sky: My Top 30 Albums of 2015

ChaseTx and ugman_2000 like this.