Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Official Country Music Thread Genre • Page 76

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Craig Manning, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Shit, that sucks. I wanted to go to the Kzoo show, but had a conflict that night. Hope that everything is okay with the band and that they reschedule those dates.

2. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

So we had a lot of great releases this year in the country/americana scene. Who are we expecting to see new material from in 2019? Isbell, Moreland, and Ramirez all had 2017 releases...

Craig Manning likes this.
  3. Craig Manning

Sturgill, Maren Morris, Brandy Clark, Logan Brill, Tenille Townes, Aubrie Sellers, Mandolin Orange, Maddie & Tae, A Thousand Horses, etc. Lots of stuff I’m interested in is at least rumored. We’ll definitely get a new Butch Walker record, though, never sure how country he will lean. I’d be surprised if there’s not an Isbell record. Wouldn’t be shocked if we get Ramirez and Moreland, either.

Really wondering what’s next for Stapleton. I hope he’s been writing. I liked From A Room a lot, but I’d like to hear some progression from him, rather than having another album of songs from his vault.

Dave Diddy likes this.
  4. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, I would be mega bummed if that did not get rescheduled.

5. jdr2187

jdr2187

Not really country but Josh Ritter has a new one coming that Jason Isbell is producing. I’m also hopeful for something new from Sturgill and maybe Tyler Childers.

JBoch likes this.
  6. Dave Diddy

Yeah I agree, I'd love to hear some new material from Stapleton that wasn't written years ago. Excited for Maren, Logan, and I was excited for Tenille before they ruined Somebody's Daughter. Obviously the 3 I mentioned would be my most anticipated if they do release new music in 2019. And this might not be super popular for me to say but I've struggled to get into Sturgill.

7. Craig Manning

I'm still holding out hope for Tenille, because she's such a good songwriter and the producer she's working with is normally good. But yeah, it will be interesting to see on that one.

Isbell's been on an every-two-year schedule since he started making solo albums, so I feel like we can probably count on that one.

I wasn't much of a fan of Sturgill's first two records--they're okay, but didn't move me. I really loved the last one, though.

8. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I am insanely excited about Josh Ritter and Jason Isbell working together. One of my absolute favorite artists producing one of my other absolute favorite artists. Both of these guys are such powerhouses.

jdr2187 likes this.
  9. Kruz1023

Can't recommend Jamie Lin Wilson's newest album, Jumping Over Rocks, enough. It's excellent.

10. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

new William Tyler album in January. god damn i love his sound.

jdr2187 likes this.
  11. jdr2187

jdr2187

Always excited for new material, but even more so after reading the all star team he put together for this album.

Kruz1023 likes this.
  12. Dave Diddy

What do people think of Luke Combs in here? Is it uncool if I kinda like him haha

13. Craig Manning

I enjoyed his record from last year. I'm a little bit baffled at his streak of number one singles, just because I think there are a lot of people who lean mainstream that are a lot better than he is. But as far as that scene goes, he's pretty good.

Also, "I Got Away with You" is an undeniably brilliant piece of songwriting, regardless of what anyone thinks of his singles.

14. drewinseries

Drew

Can y'all feed me recs ala Ruston Kelly, Jeffery Martin, David Ramirez etc?

Kruz1023 likes this.
  15. Dave Diddy

Not sure who "etc" includes as far as who you're already aware of but here's some people to check out. Jason Isbell (you probably know him), John Moreland, Donovan Woods, Evan Bartels, Jon Latham, Travis Meadows, Jeff Crosby, Dan Layus

Also don't sleep on the myriad of great female solo artists as well. Caitlyn Smith, Kacey Musgraves, Caroline Spence, Courtney Marie Andrews, Natalie Hemby

16. Craig Manning

@drewinseries If you liked Ruston Kelly's new record, the first thing I'd recommend would be Travis Meadows' First Cigarette from last year.

drewinseries likes this.
  17. drewinseries

Drew

Thanks y'all, gonna dive into these.

Dave Diddy likes this.
  18. Dave Diddy

No problem. You probably knew a couple of those already but hopefully there's some new material in there for you.

19. drewinseries

Drew

Yeah, I dig Donovan Woods, Kacey Musgraves, and John Moreland, all others are new.

20. Craig Manning

Spinning this Travis Meadows album on vinyl for the first time in a bit, thanks to this thread. My god, I forget how fucking great it is. There's a David Ramirez co-write on there too, for the record.

21. jdr2187

jdr2187

New Hayes Carll album in February.

Kruz1023 likes this.
  22. Slangster

Won "Best Hog" at the Hog Shit Snarfing Contest Supporter

This Pony Bradshaw song showed up in one of my Apple Music playlists recently and I can't get enough of it. Really excited for his debut album in January.

23. drewinseries

Drew

Josh T Pearson is such a wildcard, but I love all his stuff.

jdr2187 likes this.
  24. jdr2187

jdr2187

New Robert Ellis album in February.

Dave Diddy likes this.
  25. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

catching dawes for the first time tonight. super stoked. not that they strictly fit in this thread, but close enough.

Matt Chylak likes this.