Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Official Country Music Thread Genre • Page 7

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Craig Manning, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Jake Z

Regular

I threw on George Straits newest album and the guy is just so damn consistent. It's amazing how he stays relevant no matter what trend is out there. He is maybe my favorite country singer of all time.

fenway89 likes this.
  2. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I was worried about this when he was reportedly sick a month or so ago. RIP. :tear:

3. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

Couple of underrated country artists:

John Fullbright
    Houndmouth
    Joe Pug
    The Old 97's
    First Aid Kit
    Deer Tick
    Belle Brigade
    Trapper Schoepp
    Shovels & Rope

ChaseTx likes this.
  4. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Big fan of Old 97s here, seeing their festival in two weeks. Deer Tick is there too, though I still need to get into them.

second Joe Pug too

5. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

97's have been my favorite band since I was a small child. I wish I could go to that festival so bad, but Texas is far away from NJ.

ChaseTx likes this.
  6. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Really hoping for a new Fullbright album this year. And I enjoyed the new Trapper Schoepp album a fair amount.

7. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

Tons of good stuff in here.

Anyone ever listen to Shane Nicholson and Kasey Chambers? If not, you should give this video below a bop with your clicker. They're a couple of Australian artists that got married and put out two incredible records together. Unfortunately they've since split up, but their luscious harmonies live on.

RIYL: Luscious m/f harmonies, sometimes pretty, sometimes filthy alt country.

selfreliable likes this.
  8. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, Fullbright is basically poised to become a Jason Isbell / Sturgill Simpson type figure in country if his next album is as good as his last two.

9. Craig Manning

The first time I heard Songs, I thought he was going to be the Isbell of 2014. Sturgill ended up taking that title, but I definitely think Fullbright's got it in him. Maybe he just needs to make a record with Dave Cobb, haha

10. jdr2187

jdr2187

Songs and Southeastern are probably my 2 most played albums of the past few years. I always thought it was weird how little attention Songs seemed to receive. Its pretty much perfect in my opinion.

11. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

My tastes in country definitely lean more towards the Americana/singer-songwriter types. I've definitely been getting into more of this type of stuff lately so adding this thread to my list of followed threads.

Bands/people I like:

Jason Isbell
    John Moreland
    Lucero
    Chris Stapleton
    American Aquarium
    Arliss Nancy (close enough?)
    Donovan Woods (is he considered "country" or more pop?)

12. DeathOrGlory

Just a friendly reminder

Despite living in a country music hotbed, I've never had much of a taste for the stuff, though there is some nostalgia for the popular hits I grew up with. I'm trying to work from the classics up and rectify that. If anyone has modern recs, I'd love that as I find it harder to find stuff that's modern, give or take a Kacey Musgraves or Jason Isbell.

13. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

Jumping in on the John Fullbright love

Craig Manning likes this.
  14. Craig Manning

Yeah, I thought Songs was going to get a lot more critical attention than it did. I think it was still a very respected album in the folk and songwriter communities, but just didn't get the extra boost of attention.

Donovan Woods is more folk, I'd say, but he's leaning more country on his most recent record.

Check the OP. Most of the stuff I listed in there (maybe all of it) is modern stuff that I'd recommend to someone who likes Jason and Kacey.

15. omgrawr

That loneliness is not a function of solitude.

I saw Eric Church at Lollapalooza a few years ago and have listened to him a ton ever since. I like his newest album a lot, anyone else gotten into it? It's a bit slower than his previous stuff but still great IMO

Laura likes this.
  16. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

I should have posted in here sooner.

17. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Keith Whitley, homey. Get into that shit.

Jake Z likes this.
  18. Laura

Bozo did the dub Prestigious

Yes! I've been a big fan since I saw him open for Miranda Lambert years ago. I think the newest one is his best. It doesn't get better than "Record Year".

omgrawr likes this.
  19. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, the only song I could do without is "Write A Song" but I still like it. Songs like "Never Cry Again", "Until You Were Gone", and "High Road" are A plus plus.

20. omgrawr

That loneliness is not a function of solitude.

Ah yeah Record Year is the best song on that album for sure. I know the song is pretty corny as hell but the first time I heard the song Three Year Old where he keeps saying "I learned that from a three year old" and then at the end he says "I learned that from MY three year old" I got goosebumps super hard lol.

Laura likes this.
  21. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

Did I post in here that I liked the Donovan Woods album? Cause I do like it.

Dave Diddy likes this.
  22. jdr2187

jdr2187

New Hayes Carll out today! Its a pretty slow burn compared to his previous albums but still very good. If you haven't heard him before I recommend checking out some of his oldercstuff too.

23. CellarGhosts

Trusted Prestigious

24. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

So I grew up with my family listening to nothing but mainstream radio country and I thought I hated the genre because I couldn't stand what they listened to. Recently I've discovered just how good country can be.

I started getting into it by loving Jeff Nichols movies. His soundtracks are great, he always has his brother do some songs for him and so that led me to Lucero since his brother fronts them, which then led me to Drive By Truckers.

I then saw David Ramirez open for Dustin Kensrue and was immediately hooked. Then I heard HoneyHoney on the Joe Rogan Experience and fell in love with them! And recently I can't get enough Jason Isbell.

People should never say they don't like a specific genre of music, I am now convinced that every genre has something for everyone!

Craig Manning likes this.
  25. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

Did you see Midnight Special yet? I saw it this weekend and thought it was amazing. Maybe even the best Jeff Nichols movie.

fenway89 likes this.