Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Official Country Music Thread Genre • Page 53

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Craig Manning, Mar 15, 2016.

1. jdr2187

jdr2187

Yeah Ive never understood why he wasn’t more popular. Have to admit though that the self titled never did much for me, I love The Lights From the Chemical Plant and Photographs though.

2. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Yeah his self titled isn't as good as his other stuff. However "California" and "Drivin'" are two of my favorite songs of his

jdr2187 likes this.
  3. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I've never gotten into Ellis other than a couple of tracks. He got a little too weird on the last record.

jdr2187 likes this.
  4. Kruz1023

5. Dave Diddy

It’s not everyday I get to recommend a fellow Idahoan, I think some people in here would like Jeff Crosby. He’s got a new cd out now.

6. Dave Diddy

Hey Craig did you ever check Jeffrey Martin? I know people have been obsessed with Phoebe and Julien Baker lately but I've been really digging him.

jdr2187 and Craig Manning like this.
  7. Craig Manning

Yep! I dug it. Been so much stuff coming out that I haven't had a chance to go back to it just yet.

8. jdr2187

jdr2187

I just checked this out and really enjoyed this.

Dave Diddy likes this.
  9. Dave Diddy

Yeah he's awesome. Not sure if you're a Josh Ritter fan but he does a cover on his old cd Dogs in the Daylight that is pretty sweet.

10. Kruz1023

11. jdr2187

jdr2187

zmtr and Kruz1023 like this.
  12. CellarGhosts

Trusted Prestigious

Sturgill is the goddamn best dude

jdr2187 and zmtr like this.
  13. zmtr

Trusted

jdr2187 likes this.
  14. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

Just when I thought I couldn't love him anymore.

15. Craig Manning

Sturgill Simpson gives zero fucks and it's incredible.

zmtr likes this.
  16. Micah511

Saw someone on twitter make a good point: being blackballed by nashville doesnt really affect a country artist the way it used to. Sturgill is still selling out concerts, getting good album sales + streaming numbers, and is headlining festivals. So even if he is not getting radio play from country radio or getting invited to their award shows, he's still killing it and being successful.

17. Craig Manning

It would hurt mainstream artists more, because they are less distinctive and rely on radio to reach audiences and sell records. Sturgill is unique and interesting enough that it doesn't really matter for him. He was never going to be a radio country artist anyway.

Micah511 likes this.
  18. Micah511

This performance always gets to me.

zmtr likes this.
  19. zmtr

Trusted

This is great

Micah511 likes this.
  20. Micah511

In a year where Stapleton is putting out two albums and Isbell released a record, Tyler's was my favorite 2017 country album.

21. Craig Manning

Tyler's record is great. Probably in my top 10. Not better than Isbell, imo, but "Feathered Indians" and "Universal Sound" are both up there with the best songs of the year.

Kruz1023 and Matthewconte like this.
  22. jdr2187

jdr2187

Not really country exactly, but highly recommend the Peter Oren album that came out today. Baritone voice similar to Colter Wall, but more folk that country. A better comparison is probably Bill Callahan.

23. Dave Diddy

Just listened to Parker McCollum for the first time. I like him. Hadn't seen his name mentioned around here. Any fans of his?

24. Craig Manning

He's on my list to check out this week. I've heard good things. RIYL?

25. Craig Manning

Really digging the new Lukas Nelson record recently. This song especially is just fucking luscious: