Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Official Country Music Thread Genre • Page 52

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Craig Manning, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Let's be honest, there is no way I wasn't going to love a song called "Pray for Jungleland."

2. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

You see this Craig?

Craig Manning likes this.
  3. Craig Manning

Not yet. I've been reading about him, though, and it sounds like he's had a really tough life. Pretty incredible story.

4. jdr2187

jdr2187

Hey man this is available on Spotify now. Thought you might like to know.

Dave Diddy and Slangster like this.
  5. Dave Diddy

Hey Craig you ever listen to Jeffrey Martin? Maybe more "folk" than "country" but whatever

6. Craig Manning

I have not! I'll check it out.

7. Dave Diddy

Halfway through so far and damn this thing is so good. Between this, Travis Meadows, and Jeffrey Martin I've been in heaven the last couple days.

jdr2187 likes this.
  8. jdr2187

jdr2187

Craig Manning likes this.
  9. Craig Manning

10. jdr2187

jdr2187

I'm on the second track right now. So far so good! You already heard it?

11. Craig Manning

Yeah, I've had it for a little bit. Haven't spent a ton of time with it, just because they tend to be a fall band for me. So far, I like it a lot, but I don't think it's on the level of the last one, which had at least four song of the year contenders for me back in 2015.

12. Dave Diddy

Really enjoying this cd. The run from "The Way It Breaks" to "The Dark" is so freaking good. Listening to this made me think of the band Arliss Nancy.

13. jdr2187

jdr2187

Never heard of them, I'll check it out.

14. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

How does a song this perfect exist?

bradsonemanband and Matthewconte like this.
  15. Dave Diddy

The song "Vonnegut" is one of my all time favorite songs. I'd say start with Wild American Runners and if you like what you hear, Greater Divides and Simple Machines are also good.

jdr2187 likes this.
  16. CellarGhosts

Trusted Prestigious

So uhhhhh....what the goddamn fuck is going on with this Dan Tyminski album? Like I know he did vocals on that Avicii song (which I actually like) so this isn't totally without precedence but still...jesus. this is a huge letdown of a record.

17. Craig Manning

18. Muskheart Oct 20, 2017
    (Last edited: Oct 21, 2017)
    Muskheart

Hi all,

First time poster...

Just thought that as an Aussie I should mention that our country/Americana-influenced scene is amazingly strong at the moment (just like other areas of our musical repertoire) and you’d be doing yourself a massive favour by checking out some of these lesser known names. The latest albums by all below are fantastic...

Julia Jacklin
    Brooke Russell and the Mean Reds
    Raised by Eagles
    Tracy McNeil and the GoodLife
    Ralway Bell
    Big Smoke
    Fraser A Gorman
    The Teskey Brothers
    Leah Senior
    Nadia Reid (from NZ actually)
    Small Town Romance
    Tinpan Orange
    Marlon Williams (again from NZ)

Absolutely believe someone’s new favourite band will be in that list. Seriously good songwriters.

19. derekjd

Slow down, Quentin Supporter

Just grabbed all their most recent albums on apple music. Is there one you like the best/recommend starting with?

20. Muskheart Oct 21, 2017
    (Last edited: Oct 21, 2017)
    Muskheart

Nice!

Hard to say, but Fraser A Gorman is probably my fave because he is just a legendary human being. He played a gig in our backyard earlier this year and it was amazing - but he was also just a top bloke. (As a bit of background, Fraser is best mates with Courtney Barnett and started Milk Records with her). His album, though, is more folk than country. (On a sidenote, if you do get into his stuff, he did a performance for NPR World Cafe where he played tracks off his forthcoming album which sound awesome. I love the track My Own Sunshine and can't wait for the proper release)

Otherwise, Tracy McNeil is a real force and her song Paradise is just so catchy. Her her husband actually fronts Raised by Eagles.

I went to school with the lead singer of Ralway Bell, so also know he is a great bloke and he loves acts like Robbie Fulks, Robert Ellis, Isbell etc.

Brooke Russell's latest is a beautiful listen and if you're up in the northern hemisphere, would be great fall music.

And the story behind Big Smoke's album is so tragic (it was recorded whilst the lead singer Adrian was experiencing terminal cancer - he passed away prior to the release of the album) that it always just hits me that bit harder when I listen to it.

Hope that helps!

Edit: When answering I just realised I didn't include Julia Jacklin in the list. Crazy, as I'd put her at the top. Make sure you check out her lyrics when you go through that album.

bradsonemanband and ugman_2000 like this.
  21. jdr2187

jdr2187

22. @Muskheart "Paradise" by Tracy McNeil is indeed very catchy! Thanks for the recommendation! I'm slowly checking out the other ones you mentioned, as well. Thanks again!

Muskheart likes this.
  23. Craig Manning

24. Muskheart

Awesome!

Other tracks that might jump out quickly to you are:
    - Fraser A Gorman: Never Gonna Hold You (Like I Do) OR Skyscraper Skyline Blues
    - Big Smoke: Best of You
    - Raised by Eagles: Dreamer
    - Tinpan Orange: See You in the Water
    - Julia Jacklin: Don't Let the Kids Win OR Motherland
    - Ralway Bell: Dear Friends

25. Dave Diddy

Just dusted off Robert Ellis' self titled cd for the first time in maybe a year. I forgot how good and unique his style is.