Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Official Country Music Thread Genre • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Craig Manning, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

You have six posts and this is one of them? You really showed us!

So, just radio country? That's not representative of the genre at all. It could be argued that most of the stuff on country radio right now isn't country at all, but slighlty twangy pop. The fact that you can say the bolded pretty much proves you haven't tried hard enough. Legitimately don't think there's a human alive who could listen to Jason Isbell's lyrics and describe them as "uninspired" or "dumb," and he's just one of the many, many great artists making music in this genre right now.

DarkHotline and ChaseTx like this.
  2. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

If you're the Mom can I be the fun Uncle that visits the kids and lets them do stuff like watch R rated movies and eat candy all day and take them to the track to play the ponies?

ChaseTx likes this.
  3. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

I mean, I let the kids do all of that anyway but yes

St. Nate likes this.
  4. Craig Manning

I'll second this rec. I got into Gone Away Backward earlier this year, but I didn't know this was coming out. I think I like this more. Really lovely, relaxing stuff, and with very strong songwriting.

5. therookielot

Punk, Absolute Prestigious

OK YOU GOT ME.

THIS IS ME CONTRIBUTING COUNTRY SONGS I LIKE OK

as you can see I like female singers mostly. I am not a fan of male singers in country music.

6. phaynes1

Regular

I'll be the first to say I dislike a majority of most country. Even some of the artists more critically acclaimed like Sturgill don't do anything for me. That said, it is an incredibly broad genre with lots of different sub-genres (like, ya know, every other genre out there) and I have found plenty to like in some of those less-mainstream country offshoots. If you're going to come into a broad country thread and all you can muster is "ew," first of all, surely you can say something more clever, and second, just don't.

ChaseTx and cshadows2887 like this.
  7. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

I think the point's been made. Let's move forward.

Really into Dolly Parton when the weather is nice for some reason

8. lish

Perpetually Cold Prestigious

I have been listening to WAY TOO MUCH Keith Urban lately. I haven't been super into country in a long time, but a friend got one of his songs stuck in my head and I've delved back into his catalog. I've kind of missed it. :3

9. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I'm going to her theme park tomorrow. It's a delightful, really fun place. Something tells me quite a few of you in this thread would love the music they play throughout the park. A good mixture of old country and modern bluegrass.

ChaseTx likes this.
  10. Craig Manning

I've got a soft spot for Keith Urban. His last record in particular was very solid mainstream country fair--not the least because Butch Walker had a hand in it.

11. Trent Gill

trentgill.ca Prestigious

Guys, country isn't punk.

12. bd007h

chorus.fm's resident Meg Myers fan #GoSabres/Bills

Closest to country I really like is Lucero, Wilco, and Drive By Truckers.

13. Craig Manning

If you like those, I could probably recommend you at least 20 albums under the country umbrella that you would enjoy. If you're interested.

bd007h and St. Nate like this.
  14. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

These are all bands we discuss here

bd007h and Craig Manning like this.
  15. s/t

Regular Prestigious

Said this toward the end of the old thread, but I really enjoy this album.

ChaseTx likes this.
  16. cshadows2887

It took me separating her from the persona to really fall in love with her music, but now that I have, I'd probably get a kick out of it

17. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Haha. I grew up in Florida, visiting all the major ones, and I enjoy this one just as much. On days when she randomly appears, the places goes NUTS. I really like that song she did for Transamerica awhile back. I'm familiar with a lot of her stuff, but honestly haven't sought out her catalog.

18. cshadows2887

I've only heard a small sample myself but Coat of Many Colors is an amazing album and The Grass Is Blue is really good too.

Oh and the first Trio record with Emmylou Harris and Linda Ronstadt is great

19. bd007h

I forgot to include Cracker in my list lol. I don't mind Willie Nelson or Johnny Cash either.

But stuff like Keith Urban, Garth Brooks, Tim McGraw, etc. I never really liked.

I won't even get into my opinion of Luke Bryan, Cole Swindel, Thomas Rhett.... lol

I like southern rock and country tinged rock (as opposed to "rock" tinged country lol), but your "stereotypical"/
    "radio" country music over the past 25-30 years just isn't for me.

20. Craig Manning

I don't think anyone in this thread is advocating for any of those artists, ha. I enjoy Urban and McGraw from time to time, but those aren't my top country artists either.

To start, I'd recommend American Aquarium. They've got a lot in common with Lucero in terms of sound (their singers have similar vocal timbres) and are also on the more "rock" side of the spectrum. Based on the bands you've said you like, I'm guessing you'd dig their past two records, Wolves and Burn.Flicker.Die.

Dave Diddy likes this.
  21. bd007h

Will have to check them out. Thanks for the recommendation!

Craig Manning likes this.
  22. Craig Manning

My pleasure.

23. CellarGhosts

Trusted Prestigious

Right on haha. Hopefully more people catch on, as Flatlands was definitely one of my favorite albums of 2015, and with a debut that strong I can't wait to see what he does next.

I feel like all my favorite country artists I've been discovering lately are from Texas, which I guess isn't that surprising. Been really into William Clark Green lately as well.

Craig Manning likes this.
  24. CellarGhosts

Trusted Prestigious

I'm all about this.

ChaseTx and Craig Manning like this.
  25. Craig Manning

I feel like a lot of people around these parts would love that album. Hope some more users give it a shot because of this thread. I mean, come on!

Also, super glad you're still enjoying William Clark Green. I know I'm going to be spinning Ringling Road a lot once the weather warms up.

ChaseTx likes this.