Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Official Country Music Thread Genre • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Craig Manning, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

Anybody ever listen to Dori Freeman? I stumbled upon her album from this year earlier this month and I really like it.

2. CellarGhosts

Trusted Prestigious

Really liking the Margo Price album.

Craig Manning likes this.
  3. bd007h

chorus.fm's resident Meg Myers fan #GoSabres/Bills

Each to their own, but personally I think country music is absolutely terrible haha

Carry on :-p

4. CellarGhosts

Trusted Prestigious

also going to rec Ryan Culwell. again. No one listens to this guy and it's a shame because Flatlands is one of the best country/folk albums in recent memory.

5. Horrorca

Trusted

really been digging this one recently... hope the new one (out in 15 days or so) explores the psychedlic side a little bit more (without losing the country roots)...

slide gtr on this vid is insane...

ChaseTx likes this.
  6. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

She got a very good review from one of the sites I follow, but her album kind of fell flat for me. I think I need to go back to it and see if I like it more the second time through.

What country music have you actually heard?

Just an unbelievable voice. The end of "Red River" is stunning stuff. I put him in the OP and on my EOTY list for 2015, so I'm there fight the fight with you!

7. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

What have you heard before? I'm sure between all of us in this thread and the wide variety of country music being made right now we can find at least one song to change your mind

8. This is a rant that has only a little to do with anything going on this thread, but I feel the need to unload it.

It makes me sad when I see people say that country music is categorically bad, and not just because I like country music and know that there is much better stuff out there than the skin-deep radio hat acts. It's especially troubling to me since behind that statement there often exists a kind of class-based prejudice that country music is trashy music made for trashy people who inhabit the trashy parts of the country. Not accusing the above poster (bd007h) of implying that by any stretch of the imagination, but it is an unfortunately common attitude. And as someone who lived in the deep south from the ages of 4-13 around white working class people (read: "rednecks"), and still live in a different part of the south, that disturbs me. And it disturbs me more that people don't get called out on it. In the family I grew up, "redneck," "hick," "hillbilly" etc. were considered demeaning words that you didn't say.

Circling back around to my original point about country music, in my mind this behavior is analogous to, if less vile than, what we see when individuals categorically dismiss hip-hop and try to say it's not "real music" or whatever while hiding behind a very thin curtain of bigotry. That's an attitude that seems to have been almost completed rooted out--at least in this musical community--and I would hope that as we're thinking about this new site and new ways of talking to each other and being respectful, we could think long and hard about what I've mentioned above, and at the very least get along and go along. Much in the spirit of this song, which will bring us back on topic:

9. Meerkat

Yeah in the spirit of leaving AP behind, I certainly hope we can all be a lot more open-minded and being willing to try new things, pay closer attention to other peoples' perspectives, etc.
    There's a lot of great songwriting happening in country music right now. And like hip-hop, pop, or any other genre, there are so many sub-genres within that it's hard to imagine there's not at least one sound within the genre for people to like.

ChaseTx likes this.
  10. Yeah if your idea of "country music" is shit like Florida Georgia Line, at this point that's pretty much on you.

ChaseTx and cshadows2887 like this.
  11. Craig Manning

Since Isbell, Stapleton, and Sturgill started blowing up, I've seen a sharp decrease in the number of people that dismiss country music out of hand, or wince when I mention it as one of my favorite genres. Here's hoping that trend continues to grow.

Garrett L. and ChaseTx like this.
  12. Meerkat

The bizarre country/hip-hop hybrid makes no sense to me, but my god is there money in it

13. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

as someone who lives in the deep south, i can't escape it. and i've found there is a place for it, at times i really like (usually involving alcohol), and i hate myself for it.

14. jdr2187

jdr2187

I highly recommend the new Robbie Fulks album that came out today. Good stuff!

Meerkat and Craig Manning like this.
  15. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Thank god you made the switch. The hero the thread needs. Haha

16. Craig Manning

Glad to see you around these parts sir.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  17. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I love seeing this thread light up, country has become one of my favorite genres over the last year or so and even though it takes me a while to follow up on recs, I love having this resource

18. therookielot

Punk, Absolute Prestigious

ew

• Mod Warning: Please provide more constructive criticism on post about that which you don't like.
  19. Meerkat

I know this was something people would do all the time on AP, but we're really trying to have a much more open-minded and positive community here. I'd encourage you to check out some of the artists people have discussed and recommended in the thread already, but please don't just come into a thread and drop a negative comment that contributes nothing to the conversation and then leave.

20. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

*drive by fart

At least keep the terminology consistent. Lol

21. ChaseTx

phaynes1 likes this.
  22. Meerkat

First of all, I take that as a compliment so thank you. Second of all, that would stress me out so much haha. I'd rather just be a Mom

phaynes1 and ChaseTx like this.
  23. ChaseTx

See my kneejerk reaction to that post was much less diplomatic

24. bd007h

chorus.fm's resident Meg Myers fan #GoSabres/Bills

All the stuff that's been on the radio over the past 25 years. My dad used to have it on in his car all the time when I was a kid and I hear a lot of it at work. I find the vocals irritating and the lyrics uninspired and dumb.

No matter how hard anyone tries to get me to like it, my opinion never changes.

You're all free to like what you like though.

25. Meerkat

I'd definitely encourage you to check out some of the artists we've been talking about, as these artists don't sound like radio country music, but it really sounds like you've already made up your mind. A lot of the artists we've been discussing have written about addiction, love, loss, depression, personal victories, and the same themes that pop up in other genres. Just like I said above, please don't just come into a thread, make a negative comment that doesn't contribute to the conversation, and then leave. You're free to like and dislike anything, but your first comment was really unnecessary.

ChaseTx and Craig Manning like this.