Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Official Country Music Thread Genre • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Craig Manning, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Craig Manning Mar 18, 2016
    (Last edited: Mar 18, 2016)
    Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Also, two of the year's best releases in the genre are streaming on NPR this week: Parker Millsap and Margo Price. Not sure which one I like more, but I'm guessing both of these will be somewhere on my EOTY list. Definitely recommend them to anyone following this thread.

ChaseTx likes this.
  2. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

My mom is a pretty huge pop country fan (we do live in Tennessee after all). I didn't expect most of those artists to be mentioned in here at all, but I also didn't expect to recognize very few of the names being tossed around. Part of me actually has grown to enjoy pop country for what it is.

That Stapleton album though is everything. Came out of nowhere and caught me by the most perfect of surprises. Had the same sort of experience with Eric Church's Chief. (And Sam Hunt's Montevallo, but I'd assume that album would get shredded on here.)

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  3. Craig Manning

I'm a fan of Church's stuff. His most recent album especially was very strong. Can't say I enjoy Hunt, but I like a fair bit of pop country.

4. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

As far as radio country, I love Zac Brown Band. Although last album was weird and I only listened once.

5. Craig Manning

There were some really good tracks on the last Zac Brown Band album, and some genuinely ambitious songwriting. There was also a Jason Isbell cover, which is never a bad thing. But I agree that it was a weird record as a whole. Some really bizarre sonic diversions (the tracks with Chris Cornell and Sara Bareilles make no sense in context), and a complete lack of cohesion.

6. ChaseTx

Yeah, that was my main gripe with it. I need to revisit it, because there were definitely some songs I enjoyed on there

7. Craig Manning

There's a lot of great material. "Bittersweet" is really crushing; "Homegrown" is a prototypical example of a mainstream summer country anthem paying off in spades; "Junkyard" is extremely dark, daring, and interesting for a mainstream country record. But it's definitely less than the sum of its parts.

ChaseTx likes this.
  8. Craig Manning Mar 18, 2016
    Craig Manning

Also, after playing through this Parker Millsap album a couple times, I think it could be my favorite thing I've heard so far this year. Just really rich and soulful. I hope people check that one out.

9. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

I liked the first FGL album. A few off the second but only in a certain context. It's very mindless listening.

10. my new favorite thread

11. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Riyl?

12. Garrett

I keep forgetting to listen to the latest Church. I saw Hunt live before he ever really got going (Leave The Night On has just made radio) and really appreciated the show (he plays way more instruments than I expected). At one point he and his guitarist did a 15-20 minute section of cover songs from famous females of the 90s. It was awesome. Crowd went nuts when he did "Fancy"

13. Craig Manning Mar 18, 2016
    Craig Manning

There's no way you won't dig this. He's got the bluesy/gravelly voice thing going on like Anderson East, but is more versatile isn't quite as focused on throwback with his songwriting. I think he opened for Jason Isbell a few times, and Isbell is definitely an influence. But so is Led Zeppelin, haha. I think his voice will hook you right away.

I don't necessarily hate Hunt. "Leave the Night On" is a serviceable enough single. I liked "Cop Car" a lot when it was a Keith Urban song, and I think Hunt has a decent voice. Also cool to hear he's a good performer and a talented instrumentalist. I think my issue with his stuff is the production choices more than anything else. It's just a little *too* pop for my liking. He did an acoustic mixtape of his songs last year I think that was much more enjoyable.

14. Garrett

Yeah, @Craig Manning, I really enjoy that acoustic mixtape. I can definitely see where his production choices would be too pop. One of the things he did at the concert was to remix Single For The Summer over Beyonce's Haunted beat and then added in parts of Drake's "Marvin's Room" in the bridge.

15. cshadows2887

Will listen. He related to Ronnie?

16. cshadows2887

Has the guy who makes all the country threads (jdr-something) been invited here yet. Need his contributions for sure

17. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

Gonna try and check out some of these recs this weekend! Lots of stuff I'm likely to enjoy to dig through

Craig Manning likes this.
  18. ChaseTx

Report back!

Meerkat likes this.
  19. Meerkat

Have you met me yet? Of course I will!! Really excited to get into a lot of this stuff. Country music is very intriguing to me right now. Lots of great stuff coming from the genre.

ChaseTx likes this.
  20. ChaseTx

Agreed! It's an exciting genre.

21. Craig Manning

Nah, I think that's just coincidence.

I haven't seen him around here yet, but I agree, definitely always look forward to his recs in the country thread.

You and Chris are definitely going to dig that Margo Price album. A few spots that remind me of Carole King.

Meerkat likes this.
  22. Meerkat

23. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

Carole King.

I'm interested.

24. Craig Manning

She's getting a ton of buzz lately. Some publication (The Fader, I think?) called her country's next big thing. That's probably hyperbolic, but she's definitely talented.

25. cshadows2887

There isn't a Carole King thread yet!