Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Official Country Music Thread Genre • Page 128

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Craig Manning, Mar 15, 2016.

1. jdr2187

jdr2187

I saw this tweet which peaked my interest. Gillian Welch is an all time favorite of mine so anytime I see her name mentioned it grabs my attention.

Brother Beck likes this.
  2. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I can say that I was completely unaware of this, and I've listened to two songs so far and they are both great. I'm gonna listen to the whole album in a little bit on my ride in to work.

Dave Diddy likes this.
  3. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Ah okay. I happened to stumble upon her while checking out the Americana new releases section in Apple Music but i'd never heard of her and had no idea if she was popular at all.

4. jdr2187

jdr2187

Yeah I knew nothing about her before that tweet and still don’t know much, but did see that Sera Cahoone produced the album, which I also thought was pretty cool, if you are familiar with her.

Brother Beck likes this.
  5. jdr2187

jdr2187

New Sam Outlaw out today. Not really sure what to make of it after my first listen. It’s a pretty big departure from his previous albums.

Cliché Guevara likes this.
  6. Cliché Guevara

the scales always find a way to level out Supporter

It's as light and breezy of a listen as his previous albums so perhaps that's why I didn't find it too big of a departure. It's decidedly more 80s pop but still very enjoyable.

7. CellarGhosts

Trusted Prestigious

Satire or not, that new Paul Cauthen track is pretty terrible.

8. jdr2187

jdr2187

Yeah it’s real bad.

9. CellarGhosts

Trusted Prestigious

Something about him in general rubs me the wrong way. His first album was promising and I like the Have Mercy EP, even if it's blatantly obvious aping of the Johnny Cash American albums. But he feels more like a parody of a retro country singer at this point.

Can't get into this Cody Johnson album either apart from a couple tracks. Then again, he's never done much for me to begin with.

10. jdr2187

jdr2187

Saw this one on one of the EOTY lists and figured others around here might enjoy it.

Brother Beck likes this.
  11. CellarGhosts

Trusted Prestigious

also does anyone have any good sites or blogs for keeping up with the genre? all the ones I know of cover way too much shitty pop country and the guy behind saving country music is a massive chud and I'm tired of having to check his site bc its the only one i know of that reguarly covers artists i like lol

Brother Beck likes this.
  12. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Honestly, I really don't think there are any. Rolling Stone Country used to be pretty good...they had monthly "10 New Artists You Should Hear" features and did a good job at spotlighting a wide range of stuff. But now they basically just publish press releases. Similar with American Songwriter. It's really frustrating, because I feel like I'm definitely overlooking a lot of great albums in the genre these days, especially up-and-comers. The complete lack of good coverage of the stuff I like in the country world is probably a pretty big reason that I've drifted away from the genre a bit in the past couple years.

SCM is probably the best one for surfacing the kind of stuff you like. But man, I hate that guy. If I go there at all anymore, it's just to jot down some names. His writing is so incredibly terrible (and often offensively terrible) that I can't even stomach a paragraph. But man, I'd love not to give him clicks.

DaydreamNation and Brother Beck like this.
  13. jdr2187 Dec 1, 2021
    (Last edited: Dec 1, 2021)
    jdr2187

jdr2187

I occasionally have luck here, but not strictly country all the time. They drop a handful of reviews at the end of each week and that’s usually where I find some decent stuff.

The Journal of Roots Music - No Depression

I also find out about a lot of good stuff from these 2 YouTube channels.

https://youtube.com/c/GemsOnVHS

https://youtube.com/c/WesternAF

14. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

Yeah I was gonna say No Depression as well

15. CellarGhosts

Trusted Prestigious

Haha yeah, I still visit his site once in a while just to glimpse headlines and then go investigate whatever or whomever might catch my interest on my own. But even that is more traffic than I'd like to be giving him. Like, even if you ignore his grating fence-riding when it comes to political-tinted stories, or the ego he injects in his coverage, the writing in and of itself is just unbearable. It sucks, because I love the idea of his blog, but the actual execution is, well, yeah.

I feel like I'm discovering new artists more through Spotify and my local record store than anything else these days, anyway. I just joined last.fm again for the first time in years recently too so maybe that'll help hah.

nice, thanks for the recs! I can't believe I forgot about No Depression!

16. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

This is a fantastic album. I loved it. Thank you for the recommendation. I had never heard of him and it seems like the kind of album I never would have stumbled across if not for the rec.

This conversation is sorta funny because I feel like this thread is literally the only place I am able to discover albums like these, and I actually do kinda try to go look for them a little bit. I'm happy to learn of a few more resources for this type of thing.

17. jdr2187

jdr2187

Some really good stuff on this list. Never heard of this site, but looks like it might also be a good resource for finding new music.

Records of the Year 2021 | Holler

Craig Manning likes this.
  18. Craig Manning

jdr2187 likes this.
  19. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

I’m new to the genre. I like Kacey Musgraves and that’s about it. Give me some recs?

20. jdr2187

jdr2187

I’d say give Emily Scott Robinson a try.

xapplexpiex likes this.
  21. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Maren Morris for more of the crossover genre stuff and if you like that and want more country, check out Highwomen. That'll open you up to some other artists

xapplexpiex likes this.
  22. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

Sweet. Just added them to my phone for later.

ChaseTx likes this.
  23. Catherine McGrath, Kelsea Ballerini, RaeLynn.

xapplexpiex likes this.
  24. Craig Manning

Natalie Hemby has done a fair amount of writing with Kacey and has a similar feel across her two records. Carly Pearce made a great divorce album this year that plays as a nice complement to Star-Crossed. And Caitlyn Smith has probably my favorite voice in the genre right now.

xapplexpiex likes this.
  25. Driving2theBusStation

Regular

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DaydreamNation and xapplexpiex like this.