Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Official Country Music Thread Genre • Page 117

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Craig Manning, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Was listening to her album last week and had the same thought.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  2. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

This Miranda Lambert campfire album is going to be so good. Love the live recording style atmosphere. Someone make a thread!

3. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Excited for this album in May

4. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Orla likes this.
  5. Orla

little old lady Prestigious

Video for CMAT’s latest single dropped this week.

6. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

eric church announced a whollllllle lot of dates

7. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Not country per se but I feel like it's Americana and whatever you call it it's a great album ->

Cristina Vane - Nowhere Sounds Lovely

8. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

9. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

10. CellarGhosts

Trusted Prestigious

yeah I'm gonna take a huge pass on that

11. Craig Manning

I really like the new Parker Millsap album, after being a little more lukewarm on his last one. Very sonically adventurous and varied, drawing on everything from classic soul to '90s rock.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  12. abw123

Trusted

I realize this is an old post but I just found this band and they are indeed incredible.

13. phaynes12

anyone gonna check out the eric church joint?

JBoch and Gianni28 like this.
  14. Craig Manning

I was digging it on my first listen through last night. Seems more of a simple back-to-basics radio country record, after some of the more adventurous stuff he’s done across his last three albums.

cshadows2887 and Gianni28 like this.
  15. Gianni

Trusted

That's a big yes! About to put it on now.

It kind of sucks that the & portion of this project is fan-club only, and particularly odd because 2 of the 6 tracks on that were part of the album rollout... so randomly just 4 songs will be missing from streaming services from the whole project. Kinda makes me want to join his fan club lol.

16. Craig Manning

The entire rollout has been mystifying. There's next to no conversation about it and he's one of the biggest stars in country music.

As for &, I would just about guarantee that makes it to streaming eventually.

17. Gianni

Trusted

Right??? I have friends from my hometown that would play "smoke a little smoke" for me back before I ever dabbled in country music, and those same friends would have no clue he has new music out if it weren't for me.

Not to open a can of worms here, but is it possible he gets a bit of silent backlash from mainstream country for being outspoken and (seemingly) on the progressive side?

18. Craig Manning

Maybe a little bit? But, like, "Hell of a View" still did pretty well on radio, and he's the reigning Entertainer of the Year at the CMAs, so I don't feel like he's been pushed out at all. I just think the rollout for this triple album thing has been extremely confusing and has not been given the push that major albums like that typically would be.

19. phaynes12

ah, that’s a bit of a bummer haha. oh well, i’ll still check it out today

20. phaynes12

it does feel like apple music has been pushing him. i have no idea how much that translates to actual numbers, but he had one of the full length interviews with zane lowe on the main apple radio one or whatever it’s called show

21. Craig Manning

I wonder if this might be the more straightforward album and Soul might be a little more exploratory? I don't really have a good grasp of how he's approaching the concept here.

phaynes12 likes this.
  22. Gianni

Trusted

Yeah I remember hearing about the Entertainer of the Year bit, and obviously he's well respected.

First listen through and I dig it though. It will get multiple listens over the next few days, I'll be making the long drive from PA to TX after visiting some family here for a few weeks. Probably will be listening to a LOT of country/country-adjacent stuff, it suits the drive.

Craig Manning likes this.
  23. Craig Manning

Maybe it's just because I've been listening to The Wallflowers all week, but I'm getting some very '90s roots-rock vibes from Heart.

Gianni28 and phaynes12 like this.
  24. Gianni

Trusted

And that is not AT ALL a bad thing.

"Russian Roulette" totally has that feel for me, that's an excellent track.

Matt Chylak and Craig Manning like this.
  25. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

First listen was enjoyable. Russian Roulette was definitely the standout from the songs that weren't already out.