Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Office (NBC) TV Show • Page 95

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by tdlyon, Mar 31, 2016.

1. It’s leaving Netflix next year and plus you get all the deleted scenes and commentary and bloopers

Dirty Sanchez and Sean Murphy like this.
  2. Mcrx

Regular

i'm confused. who's brian??

3. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

RyanPm40 likes this.
  4. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

He ruined the last season!

RyanPm40 likes this.
  5. Mcrx

Regular

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  6. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

That guy fucks

7. Mcrx

Regular

ohhh! is he the photographer or filmagrapher guy?? yea that was kinda creepy knowing Pam was with Jim...but maybe a part of me understand how it can be hard to keep one's feelings to onesself and thought it was a little sweet. is that the brian guy??

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  8. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

dumb question but what can you watch this on if you buy from iTunes? iPhone, laptop/Mac and iPad?

9. a nice person

Trusted Prestigious

appletv too

10. basically any device or TV that runs the Apple TV app

11. marsupial jones

ohhhh interesting. I’ll have to see if my tv has that ability (a newer LG). If it does that could be a game changer for me. Thanks!

12. a nice person

Trusted Prestigious

New Leads is one of the worst episodes if only because of that terrible green screen

SmashRipsaw and RyanPm40 like this.
  13. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

I get the hate for Brian and truly hate his existence in the show, but I felt that he wasn't that much different from season 1 Jim with Pam

They're best friends at work, he has a crush on Pam, seems like a likeable guy who is really protective of those close to him, etc. Not to mention that he's watched Jim be a total asshole to Pam, much like Jim with Roy

Mcrx likes this.
  14. Renee

dry clean only Prestigious

Whoaaaaaa, I've never looked at it like that. Full circle.

Nyquist and RyanPm40 like this.
  15. tomdelonge

Trusted

Breaking them up is interesting(ish), but bringing the camera crew into the show breaks the show for me.

why did the camera guy stay in the car when michael drove into a koi pond?
    why did the camera guy zoom in on Andy floating away on Lake Scranton to maybe die instead of like, not doing that?
    why did jim and pam bring a camera crew to schrute farms on their first overnight trip together

That last one- it doesn't make sense that they go on a weeknight either, but that makes sense in the "lol TV doesn't make sense" way. The documentary gimmick coulda been like that, but when suddenly 9 seasons in, surprise! here's a new character that's been present for every scene in the show but no character has ever acknowledged them (the character, not the camera), so it's hard to accept Pam has this deep relationship we just didn't know about. What'd Roy think about that dude?

Mcrx, slimfenix182 and RyanPm40 like this.
  16. tomdelonge

Trusted

also that shit's just not funny. if it was i don't think i'd care

17. marsupial jones

No offense but as someone who always overthinks things I think that’s overthinking things lol.

I guess I assume that there are several Brian’s not just one. With how many people are at Dunder Mifflin I don’t think it was just one boom guy and one camera guy. I guess I just assumed that there were several but maybe there was just one, but idk how he’d be able to be everywhere in the context or the show / all the scenes if it was just one person.

Also, the rules or a documentary crew are not to interfere and just watch. The only real time Brian changes the trajectory of lives is when he stops the warehouse dude from attacking Pam. Everything else is allowed because that’s what makes a good documentary and / or maybe they didn’t think they writers would be dumb enough to have Michael drive into a lake lol

tomdelonge and Jake Gyllenhaal like this.
  18. tomdelonge

Trusted

def agree it's overthinking it, I guess that's kinda what I mean tho. It's such a reach even for TV logic that it pulls me out of the emotional experience of the show.

to enter tv writer brain for a sec:

It changes my reactions to the characters because suddenly there's another prominent relationship that was literally just off screen during every scene i've been having my own emotional reactions to. In real life if you find out a person you're close to has had this other significant relationship you never even knew about, you're probably gonna feel different about them. From a storytelling point of view, it fucks with the character development from the previous 8 seasons.

i still watch the show all the time, so it doesn't really matter, but writing wise i think it was misstep.

19. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

The scene where he defends Pam from getting attacked is one of my least favorite scenes in the show. Doesn't he like uppercut the guy with the boom mic like he's in an action movie or something? lmao

The scene where he boops Pam on the head with the mic when she says she feels like she's alone is fucking painful too

RyanPm40 likes this.
  20. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

It's just baffling why they chose to do something like that in the *final* season. Weird send-off to the fans lol

21. Mort Michaels

Father, Son, and House of Gucci

I read the Andy Greene Oral History of the Office book and I am so surprised by how much the writers seemed to hate Season 8 and love Season 9 because Greg Daniels came back. Upon by somewhere-in-the-double-digits rewatch, the 8th season, while certainly not hitting the highs of 2-5, is so much stronger because of how different it is and how much I love Robert. Season 9 is sooooo damn cringy - like when Dwight makes the "I'm eating Jim" joke whilst eating nerds or the Andy "fail" video. Those things are miles worse than Robert's character. I can't really stand to watch most of that season - aside from the cold opens which are pretty strong overall.

RyanPm40, Dirty Sanchez and FTank like this.
  22. marsupial jones

I wonder if part of the hate, whether purposeful or not, comes from Robert being a new character out or nowhere - much like Brian and why people hate him.

Robert comes from out of nowhere and is a significant character in a lead role of a show where we already know everyone and feel a connection to them after 7 years. And now we’re just supposed to let this new guy in??? And then Nellie too??? And they’re taking screen time from our favorites!

whereas season 9 is just the “main cast” (and Nellie) so no matter how bad it was to some/most of us, it’s the characters we know! Which for some makes it better than the characters we don’t - even if the characters we know are given really awful storylines / behaviors - because we know them so we feel a connection to them that can’t be wrecked (although it definitely can be and was for some/most)

23. Pseudo!

Regular

I think part of it is we started with somewhat grounded characters at the beginning of the series, so even though they all gradually (and some suddenly) became cartoon characters we were still able to remember and relate to their somewhat grounded origins. Robert just bursts into the series unhinged and never feels like a real person, to me at least, and overall his character just feels representative of the worst instincts of the series

SmashRipsaw and Owlex like this.
  24. bones

#HEEL

Watch your mouth when you talk about the fucking lizard king

coleslawed and Mort Michaels like this.
  25. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Is the book worth a buy? I've been hearing a lot from it

Is it like an oral history where most of it is like interviews from people involved? And do they get everyone?