Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Office (NBC) TV Show • Page 6

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by tdlyon, Mar 31, 2016.

1. MattLikesSsips

Be sure to drink your Ovaltine.

"Gruel sandwiches. Gruel omelettes. Nothing but gruel. Plus, you can eat your own hair."

I have a Prison Mike magnet on my fridge and I think of this every time.

2. JM95

Trusted

"If I could menstruate I wouldn't have to deal with idiotic calendars any more. I'd just be able to count down from my previous cycle. Plus I'd be more in sync with the moon and the tides."

I genuinely squealed laughing the first time I heard that line.

3. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Yea, I love how they occasionally depicted Michael with redeeming qualities. He got the job of Regional Manager because he was an excellent salesman. Problem is he's a terrible manager. But occasionally he goes on sales pitches, like the episode in (I think season 3) where the sales people compete for most sales in a day and he teams up with Andy and you see Michael as a charming and competent when he's doing what he does best.

4. jorbjorb

7 rings

On season four and I haven't seen a funnier show. Michael Scott is perfect lol

5. iam1bearcat

i'm writing a book, leave me alone.

season four contains one of my top 5 favorite episodes ("Dinner Party").

6. iam1bearcat

I watched the episode where Pam has her art gallery and how he saves the day for her with his amazement / enjoyment of her art and then wants the one of the office itself really makes his character great. It's a simple, quick scene but there's so much charm and heart in it.

Penguin, FTank and Jake Gyllenhaal like this.
  7. jorbjorb

7 rings

bahaha dinner party was amazing. mikes 200 dollar TV is priceless

8. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Randomly put on the "Booze Cruise" episode the other day while I was getting ready to take a nap. First time I watched the show since it's initial airing. Wound up postponing my nap for 22 minutes. I may need to do a rewatch of (at least) the first few seasons.

9. jorbjorb

7 rings

One of my favorite episodes is "email surveillance" Season 2. Where Michael keeps trolling his acting class with his detective michael scott character lol

10. drstrong

I'm Back.

Saw this on Netflix and went to the middle of season 2 and started a rewatch from there. I'm now at season 3 episode 16 or so, right when Andy comes back from anger management.

This show just hits so many right notes for me, I don't know what it is, but this is easily my favorite comedy TV series. Rashida Jones was adorable in season 3 and Andy is still the most annoying character I think ever. I also forgot how much of a dick Michael can be, especially at Phyliss wedding and Kevin's cancer scare.

FTank likes this.
  11. iam1bearcat

constant gems in seasons 2 and 3. i think almost every scene had something outstanding in it, whether dialogue, facial expressions or awkwardness.

"corporate is sending me to management training... anger management, but it's the same thing."

"the opening line of a speech is crucial, and when i have time i like to try out three or four."

"they used to call her Easy Rider."

"This is Creed... and he does... something..."
    "that is correct!"

"i don't know what i would do if Pam didn't work here... it'd be like loading trucks without any meaning."

"do you know what this is?"
    "of course. Northwest Passage Cannabis #4" (or something like that)
    "No... it's marijuana."

"I'm Prison Mike! ... and I kidnapped the President's daughter."
    "Wow. That is quite the rap sheet."
    "And I didn't get caught neither."
    "But you were in prison. Yep."

"You smell like Tide detergent."

"I am 99% sure that is not the real Ben Franklin."

12. drstrong

I'm Back.

The Jim/Pam stuff was great during these seasons, but I think I'd stick with Karen if I were to choose. She's obviously devoted to him since she moved and essentially started a new life because he suggested she should come.

Pam is always a bit too hot/cold and never really consistent, well with the exception of her confusion as to what she wants.

13. iam1bearcat

definitely. it was so well written and structured. very true to real life. i was always pretty lukewarm on Pam. In the last few seasons she got real grating and i almost wanted them to end up getting divorced.

on a somewhat related note, i was always surprised they didn't end a season with their wedding since they were "THE" TV couple. having it in the middle of season 5 always seemed wrong or very unusual to me. i guess a season ending wedding would be too predictable / overdone, but in the middle of the season, the same as Phyllis' just seemed incorrectly done imo.

also...

"brunette or redhead?"
    "...blonde."

perfect answer at that time haha.

14. drstrong

I'm Back.

It's just one of those things, besides the physical attraction.

Karen was the "big city girl" who was career oriented and eventually became a hot shot on her own in a big city. She was basically Jan but less bitchy if that makes sense.

Pam is the "small town girl" who was a bit more "homely", if you know what I mean. She was impressionable to an extent and didn't really have a voice of her own until she was done with Roy and when she started to get annoying in the later seasons.

Personally, I'm more attracted to the olive skinned, brunette type of girl, but maybe the work oriented nature of her character is what made Jim more into Pam. This is all just my opinion and bullshit theories on fictional character's motivations...but I still think the basics of what I said hold some weight.

In a perfect world, Karen and Pam, at the same time. Everyone wins!

15. iam1bearcat

I would definitely choose Karen too. They showed during season 3 that she was fun and lighthearted and could joke around with Jim (like when she has him believing she slept with everyone at corporate during the housewarming party thing when they meet David Wallace and when she sings karaoke at P+R's wedding). but, i've been there myself where it seems like it should be working and doesn't so i understand Jim not quite "buying in", especially when he's had a crush for god knows how long.

sadly, it just doesn't seem to me like Jim and Pam work all that well together as Pam doesn't showcase much to rival what Jim is like. Like you said, she's impressionable and seems very "go with the flow" and I always pictured Jim needing someone who could very much bounce off of him and hold their own to keep him intrigued / entertained and i never felt Pam was that person.

then again, i have friends who are married and they very much resemble Jim/Pam in a lot of ways (especially the woman) and i have no idea how or why they've stuck together, but they're happy so it makes sense Jim and Pam are happy.

16. drstrong

I'm Back.

I'm married to someone who is more along the lines of Pam, so I get what you're saying.

I just watched that episode you're talking about with Karen yesterday.

How long does Jim stay with Karen? I don't remember when she leaves or if Jim breaks up with her or not.

Personally, in dealing with my own insecurities, I'd end up gravitating more towards a "Pam" rather than a "Karen". The former seems loyal and a home body where the latter is more of the outgoing, "who's that guy she's talking to" type, haha.

Oh yea, and my wife looks like a Karen but with the Pam mentality, so I'm good!

17. drstrong

I'm Back.

Now that I think about it, there is Angela also...hmmmm. Is she really a "type" though? Kind of seems unrealistic but there is probably some bible crazed, yet hyper sexual (at least with one guy) type of woman out there.

18. iam1bearcat

lucky bastard.

i think they stay together until the end of the season.

i remember she makes him get a haircut so, as Jim says, "i don't look so homeless" for an interview with Corporate and then either before or after the interview while Pam is in the conference room talking to the camera Jim interrupts and asks her to dinner. think that's how the season ends / last scene actually.

19. iam1bearcat

there are probably more real life Angela's in the world than Karen's or Pam's haha.

20. drstrong

I'm Back.

Ah ok, well I'll get to the finale in the next couple of days. Had a long weekend so I was bored taking care of some sick kids.

21. drstrong

I'm Back.

More than anything, I want to come across a Dwight.

MattLikesSsips likes this.
  22. iam1bearcat

wait. have you never watched the show before?

23. drstrong

I'm Back.

No no, I went through a full series run a couple of years ago. I watched only some of the show as it aired. I've only seen these episodes once.

24. iam1bearcat

ohhh, gotcha.

god, i've probably watched seasons 2-5 at least, i kid you not, 20+ times each. friends would come over and we would just throw on a disc, day after day after day and never get sick of it. how i don't have more memorized i have no idea.

25. drstrong

I'm Back.

Parks and Rec was a bit funnier, but lacked any of the depth The Office would sometimes have. But it had Rashida Jones on a more frequent basis, so there's that.