Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The "Not New Year's Resolutions/Life Goals" Thread • Page 2

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Kiana, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Dog with a Blog

CarpetElf likes this.
  2. dylan

Most-liked person on chorus Supporter

3. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

4. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Ok, so goals need to be SMART or whatever. Specific, measurable, attainable, relevant, and timely. I think? So I'm gonna narrow my goals more specifically:

-I will practice my guitar for 30 minutes a day

-I will practice Spanish for 20-30 minutes a day, not including the music/shows I already watch in spanish. Like dedicated time where I'm immersed/focused on the language.

-in regards to sfx makeup, I think I need to do research first before deciding what's best for my kit/what I should start with, so I'm putting that on the back burner for a lil while until I research.

5. Dog with a Blog

Oh, I need to pick up Japanese again. I think it should come back if I practice.

Also, I am so out of touch with both of my heritages. I’d like to learn Dutch.

bachna84, iCarly Rae Jepsen and Kiana like this.
  6. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

-Limit my drinking to weekends
    -Get a part-time job in the meantime
    -Put in 20 hours of coding minimum a week
    -(and the one I always fail at) exercise for an hour every other day

7. scroopy.noopers

: (

Not depressing goal: Start DJing in Brooklyn

I've been wanting to DJ for a long time, I've done it a couple times in Chicago, but I need to buy a DJ controller. Realistically, I should be able to get one next Feb or Mar

Kiana and ComedownMachine like this.
  8. Kiana

I just put in my info for a brochure to teach English in Mexico or Spain lmao so I guess it's applicable to the Spanish goal. They said an adviser will be in touch and I'm like omg I just wanted info, what's happening here. Y'all are rushing me!!

9. Kiana

But for real like how does that work with life?? I just have to find a new hair person? What do I do if I need contacts and can't see my eye doctor for a year?? How do u function in a place where u can't speak the language and don't know anyone? How do I get my bc prescription?? This is why I can't ever do things cause I talk myself out of them.

10. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

You should go for it! You'll do just fine. Have you been to Mexico before? I don't really know any Spanish but there's tons of people that know English there so you'll be okay. What area are you thinking of going to?

Bloodsucker II likes this.
  11. Kiana

I've never even left the west coast tbh! I'm not sure. I was just thinking it'd be cool and requested a brochure but I haven't looked at it yet so I literally know nothing. The most I've seen of Mexico is watching Rebelde on Netflix lol. I know a few ppl from Mexico I could ask about locations, but it is so outta my element idek! it's prob the best time for me to do something like that cause I don't have kids and I'm single and wanting to transition from my job soon, but it's a pretty gigantic leap for me.

12. Dog with a Blog

My friend was gonna teach English in Spain and that didn’t work out so he left for Japan instead without knowing any of the language. He said they were so accommodating and that everyone was so helpful. His goal was to stay for one year but he ended up staying for seven and his biggest regret was that he never really learned the language all that well, because he didn’t have to. Given the fact that that was Japan, I feel like it would be even more accommodating in a country like Mexico or Spain.

Kiana likes this.
  13. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

I'm only really familiar with Tijuana and Mexico City but it's an interesting place! I know you feel out of your element but you'll seriously do perfectly fine and the fact that you have nothing holding you back means you should do it. I'm a big baby so I probably wouldn't but go live out my adventurous dreams for me!

Kiana likes this.
  14. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

It shouldn't bother you too much. You know, out of sight, out of mind.

15. Kiana

I got my guitar from my dad's house! Step one accomplished! Now I need to decide if I'm gonna learn a funky lefty way or to just play it righty.

Also I have looked into it more and I am intrigued with the idea of getting my TEFL to teach English in Costa Rica. I'm not saying I'm gonna do it for sure cause $$$ but I'm looking into different programs.

16. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I wanna get in the habit of reading books more frequently, I keep buying them and not reading them it's getting absurd

17. Kiana

I think about this all the time. Like if I just read 10 pages a day that's not overwhelming and it adds up quickly but I still never do it. I tend to start books and then buy a new one I'm eager to start so I switch to that one and then continue the cycle and never finish any of them

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  18. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Read while you walk places. With a bit of practice you’ll be swallowing books whole

19. Dog with a Blog

I love reading but I fall asleep every time I read. Every. Fucking. Time. Even if I’m not sleepy, it’s so frustrating.

Turkeylegz likes this.
  20. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Audible (or Overdrive) my friends.

21. Garrett

okay this too.

22. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

I would really like to

-really once and for all quit picking at my skin. I've gotten much better about my fingers but still struggle with other spots.
    -actually work on my writing instead of wasting my life on twitter
    -work on actually learning to use the garage band app on my phone

23. Kiana

Looked more into teaching abroad and feeling disheartened. It's SO overwhelming and there are so many programs. I've been browsing forums and there seems to be a lot of arguments about what kind of schooling/certificate u need and reading everyone with masters degrees with lots of teaching experience talking about trying to teach abroad is very intimidating. Seems the consensus is that u should start out in Asia and then save money and work ur way to other places if u desire. I guess it's seeming like more of an overwhelming commitment and idk!!! I wish I was one of those fearless adventurous ppl who put their mind on something and made it happen. Instead I'm like ughh

24. Garrett

I have friends who have taught in Japan, South Korea, Vietnam, and China if you would like a narrower list of companies to work with.

Kiana likes this.
  25. Kiana

Sure!