Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Night Of (HBO) TV Show • Page 7

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by popdisaster00, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues Supporter

The dialogue is better but it's not a much better show overall. Tbh I think it errs toward both ridiculous and tropey almost as much as True Detective did. (Speaking only to TD season 1 here, obviously even if you think 1 was bad 2 was significantly worse.)

EngineDown likes this.
  2. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

This is so much better than True Detective in pretty much every way.

3. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

It's a sloppy show that's a bit heavy handed on the symbolism. Need to see if it sticks a landing

EngineDown likes this.
  4. EngineDown

formerly known as chill yoshi

This is more or less what I was getting at. The dialogue is better, but the path the show takes isn't necessarily.

That being said, TD was a turd and I love this.

5. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

TD season 1 was better

6. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

I would not say there has been "sexual tension" at all. She has shown empathy towards him, but never suggested anything more.

Vivatoto likes this.
  7. Vivatoto

I definitely felt it was that^ but at the same time there was a voice in the back of my head that kept being like "are they going to fuck?" but I kept telling myself the show is better than that.

8. fronkensteen

Trusted

Those empathetic scenes always felt a bit awkward to me because of that tension, and then his phone call from last week was obvious as to his feelings about her.

9. airik625

Yeah I agree that it was obvious he has feelings towards her, but I just never saw anything to suggest that she felt the same way. She was short with him on the phone when he reached out for her.

10. Vivatoto

It's obvious he feels that way towards her, and its understandable why given the situation and the way she seems to be the only one on his side in the outside world besides his dad, but I don't feel like the show has earned any reason for her to reciprocate the feelings. The only thing I can think of that the show has brought up is that she just got dumped and maybe she's feeling vulnerable.

11. TheNateM

Newbie Prestigious

the first thing naz told her was his mom liked her. who knows how important it is to the whole kissing scene because it seems a little forced, but whatever. this is the best series hbo has put out in a long time minus got which should be dq'ed.

12. Vivatoto

I'm guessing Naz, Stone, Chandra, and mom will be nominated for whatever. Assuming it will be in the miniseries category which will be easier than drama. And maybe Box

13. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

way too much focus on the feet... that's my only gripe with this show

14. fronkensteen

Trusted

I think Chandra feels sorry for Naz and that that led to her having feelings for him, plus she's vulnerable from her break up.

I actually like the feet stuff, too. I don't really know why, but I do. I've always like minutiae kind of stuff in television and movies.

marceting likes this.
  15. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

It'd be fine if it were minutiae but it takes up 3/4 of the show. Heavyhanded

16. brentkid

Regular

Hyperbole much?

Really enjoyed the latest ep. Kiss scene was a little strange but all of the court room stuff was great.

17. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues Supporter

I don't think the feet stuff is that bad (elsewhere online it's like reason 1a the show is criticized) but I agree it's taken up a weird amount of screen time. I do like the show a lot, I think it's pretty compelling and the production value is super high. If I've got a real complaint about it it's that it seems like it wants to be a "smart" show for lack of a better word and it's more of an entertaining thriller than anything else. The work on the case is distractingly shortsighted outside the courtroom and unrealistic inside it, Naz's transformation feels kind of unearned, Freddy is a borderline stock character...they all make up part of why it's entertaining, but it kinda feels like they're going for something else.

T.K. likes this.
  18. fronkensteen

Trusted

3/4 of the show? Really? Come on....

It's maybe, MAYBE 1/6 of the show.

19. T.K.

Prestigious Browser Prestigious

I guess I'm one of the few people that don't have a problem with that subplot. I think it helps the show not become too heavy for lack of a better phrase. It's probably taken up less than 30 minutes of the whole show. Let's be honest. It's mostly something going on in the background of other scenes.

20. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

I don't think it's too much of an exaggeration to think the feet subplot has taken half the show. And for what? That's wayyyy too long for a metaphor

21. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Lol it was hyperbole but once again if you're being sincere, 1/6 of the show spent on a metaphor that beats you over the head is a bit much

22. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

We don't know very much about Stone. The dialogue being so strong gives his character more weight than it otherwise would. The time spent on his feet, aside from being a decent source of comic relief, could be better spent on deepening the character. Or the parents. Or adding more nuance to the changes in Naz.

I enjoy the show, but there are faults

dpatrickguy and EngineDown like this.
  23. EngineDown

formerly known as chill yoshi

Or any of the numerous other suspects who have now been shoved in at the end.

OhTheWater likes this.
  24. stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

I'm only halfway through the pilot and my nerves can't take it. Worst luck ever.

25. airik625

Nowhere near that long.