Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Night Of (HBO) TV Show • Page 13

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by popdisaster00, Jun 13, 2016.

1. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

i dont watch too much TV, but yeah no way this sniffs Stranger Things. Honestly, there's no way to say it, The Night Of should have been better all around. it had moments of greatness...and it had moments of suspense and tension...but with the talent in this thing, it should have been better.

2. fronkensteen

Trusted

I guess I'm in the minority that isn't that high on Stranger Things in general.

3. Kyle is hk

Not Kyle Shanahan Prestigious

It's a bad comparison. If you're going to evaluate the writing of Stranger Things at the same standard of writing many of us are holding The Night Of to, then Stranger Things would hold up very poorly.

But that's okay, because they're two completely different kinds of shows, and don't really need to hit the same kind of criteria. I don't have a need to pick apart the plot of Stranger Things, because it succeeds for different reasons. (I do think its being a bit overrated tho)

And I don't think Harbour's acting is better than any of the main characters in Night Of.

fronkensteen likes this.
  4. EngineDown

formerly known as chill yoshi

he certainly isn't as showy as anyone here but that works towards his benefit and lends to the performance being better but will probably hurt him come awards season since those are the kinds of performances they favor

5. EngineDown

but honestly sterling brown is the one who is most deserving. i also doubt stranger things or harbour would be in the same category as this and torturro. brown/people v. oj is a more interesting comparison.

6. Jason Tolpin

Trusted

OK. Stranger THings was signed for second season. Perhaps I should look at what the first season wsa about, and watch it :)

7. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Looking back, did they ever address the second body/victim that Detective Box and co. found in the alley? I don't remember them touching back on it, and it's kind of been bugging me.

8. fronkensteen

Trusted

They barely mentioned it, but I think that it was just to put the nugget of thought in Box's head that Naz was maybe innocent.

9. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

the PTA mom LA times story was better than this show

10. Morrissey

Trusted

The girl playing with the knife and leading to sex was almost enough to stop watching the show altogether, but the first episode was very good after that. It was very high-level tension, although the stereotype of showing someone as unorthodox for wearing sandals is constantly bizarre to a Floridian.

11. Kaduck

Regular

While I enjoyed the series, I was left a bit underwhelmed at the ending. I'm not sure what else I wanted, but it just didn't resonate with me at all. No desires to discuss it with anyone after it aired. Oh well.

JimmyIymmiJ likes this.
  12. JimmyIymmiJ

Music, a steady riot in my soul. Prestigious

Yeah, I liked it a lot early on, but it really fizzled out at the end for me as well.

13. Morrissey

Trusted

The Career Day scene is one of the worst things I have seen in a show in a long time. Absolutely tone deaf.

14. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Lol buckle up then

15. Morrissey

Trusted

Why was everyone acting like this was so amazing?

16. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

because the pilot was.

17. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

There are flashes of great television throughout but scenes that completely undercut it.

18. Morrissey

Trusted

An aging lawyer with no muscle mass deciding to chase a violent criminal that he suspects of murder, all while in sandals, makes it possible that it would be tremendous self-harm to watch the last few episodes. Am I wrong?

19. EngineDown

Love how that completely implausible episode ending was never addressed again and the next episode began with him like scooping cat shit or something lol

20. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues Supporter

oh man, that scene is not even close to the depths of it

21. Morrissey

Trusted

What a disaster. No comedy has ever made me laugh as much as the last episode.

22. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Show Me a Hero was much, much better than this. I think HBO ordered the right amount of episodes for Show Me a Hero, as much as I wish that it was longer, I'm not sure how much it would have benefited from it.

23. Kyle is hk

Not Kyle Shanahan Prestigious

I think 2 extra hours could have been used to spend more time on the community characters. Their profile felt a little more thinly developed than all the political agents, which were expertly executed. Nonetheless I agree it was great overall.

Ken likes this.
  24. Morrissey

Trusted

Both Show Me a Hero and The Night Of are flawed for reasons that have nothing to do with episode length. That is a very common excuse given, but if they did not like the allowed runtime they could have easily fixed those problems.

Ken likes this.
  25. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Anyone watch Criminal Justice? The Night Of was based on Season 1 .