Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Night Of (HBO) TV Show • Page 11

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by popdisaster00, Jun 13, 2016.

1. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

not really a series finale though, that's going to keep going

2. Series was decent. Good performances across the board.

3. EngineDown

formerly known as chill yoshi

Didn't see anyone say anything about series finales but fair point

4. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

yeah i think people were specifically talking about a positive conclusion of a series, there are plenty good season finales, takes a lot more to land an ending without people complaining

5. The finale was whatever for me but I still think the series as a whole was pretty solid

6. omgrawr

That loneliness is not a function of solitude.

John Turturro's performance in this show really shined to me. I wonder what this show with Gandolfini's performance would've looked like. I feel like it would be completely different.

Zilla likes this.
  7. EngineDown

I've read there are scenes shot that show it's less of a visible impediment and more of a physical one, like he had a limp or something. Obviously it was only the pilot but from what I've read (who knows how accurate it is), the character was just as weary as Torturro's, but a bit less showy and more resigned to his fate.

8. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

I do agree with all of that

9. TheNateM

Newbie Prestigious

Imagine if De Niro didnt back out...

10. Kyle is hk

Not Kyle Shanahan Prestigious

Dunno why I'm just popping in here now.

The drawn out exit from prison was so masterfully done. It stressed me the fuck out, especially since my theory was always that he'd be on the verge of being innocent and get killed in prison. That and a few scenes in the pilot, such as his pat down, were some of the best shot things I've seen in a long time.

Overall I give it a B+. The superfluous kiss knocked it down a grade on its own. Pilot alone gets a A++ tho. Best pilot I've seen since I guess The Affair. Or Maybe ever?

airik625 likes this.
  11. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

12. Kyle is hk

Not Kyle Shanahan Prestigious

I haven't read much from The Ringer, but everything I have felt very undercooked. Is it just not good?

13. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Felt satisfied with the conclusion. We don't get a definitive answer, but do we ever for scenarios like this?

Really hoping HBO can say no to a second season.

14. Sal Paradise

Trusted

I havnt read much either, but unfortunately, I've had the same impression. I was a huge fan of Grantland, so it kinda buns me out

Kyle is hk likes this.
  15. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues Supporter

Since they've said it would be anthology style if they do go for a second season I'd be fine with it. These kind of shows are generally entertaining enough to be worth watching, and the high production value on this season gives me hope that with another crack at they could make something better.

Overall I'm realizing it's possible to enjoy a show and know that it wasn't very good. I was hooked for the whole 9 hours here even if a good amount of stuff rang very false to me. As far as HBO mysteries that didn't fully stick the landing I preferred True Detective season 1 by a good bit. In the end their flaws were pretty similar and I'll take the amount of fun that season was any day.

16. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Glad I wasn't the only one who stressed whenever they showed Naz at Rikers. After Freddy gave him that creepy speech about bringing him under his wing and being proud of him, I did not think he would let him leave.

So I'm assuming that was Freddy who handed over the footage of Naz and Chandra making out? I guess he just knew that it might be grounds for a mistrial? But they made it seem like it was Detective Box.

17. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

18. T.K.

Prestigious Browser Prestigious

I thought it was definitely Freddy, remember the scene where he goes up to the guard and gets a security footage disc?

19. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

I hate to invoke it, as the nature of the shows are different, but The Wire was very good at demonstrating the nihilism of institutional power. Given that one of the writers was on the show, I expected a bit more of that. Not that I'm comparing the two shows in terms of wanting one to be like the other, rather, I think one is a demonstration of how to balance characters and a representation of culture at a particular time in a fuller way than the other.

OhTheWater likes this.
  20. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Haven't had a chance to read through the thread since Sunday, but I enjoyed the finale and the series as a whole, but everything between Naz and Chandra was ridiculous. And I still can't get over the Sinbad tat.

21. EngineDown

I know it sounds silly to base off of one show but HBO doesn't have my faith in them handling an anthology series like a network like FX might based on the failure of true detective

Wasn't crazy about this but I still liked it enough to not want a true detective season 2 out of this

22. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

I think True Detective's failure had much more to do with Nic Pizzolato's shortcomings as a writer.

OhTheWater likes this.
  23. EngineDown

I'm not going to try and argue Price and Pizzolatto in terms of who the better writer is because it's obviously Price, but there were definitely elements of this where the writing was not great to say the least

24. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

I wasn't comparing the writers. I was just remarking on why I think the second season of True Detective failed because of writing/characterization flaws as opposed to network intervention.

25. EngineDown

Oh I know you weren't haha. Sorry. I just could see a second season failing based on the writing of this season