Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Night Of (HBO) TV Show • Page 10

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by popdisaster00, Jun 13, 2016.

1. TheNateM

Newbie Prestigious

I think people had this idea that this was going to be some super crazy thriller based off the first episode. And rightfully so, it led me to think that was the direction it was going in. It didn't end with anything spectacular, but it was an entertaining series. Not to mention it helped ease the GOT Sunday spot for a while.

Texas Flood likes this.
  2. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Right, maybe at that point in the courtroom there was some moral element to it, but not up until that point. There was nothing moral about him going over the security footage even after his retirement. He just wanted to still be in on the action.

And I don't know how much clearer the ADA situation could have been. She flat-out tells Box that she doesn't care about Ray because the case against Naz is stronger and he's the one about to get voted on by a jury.

3. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

The DA saying "let's go get 'em" didn't strike me as something of a consolation for not getting Naz, but a "let's do the right thing now", hence my comment regarding her arc being a sort of morality tale. As for Box, that certainly is an interpretation, but it still remains strictly within the parameters of an oft-used archetype. If they were trying to communicate something deeper, then I think they failed and it made for a poor narrative in terms of the themes they were handling.

4. TheNateM

Newbie Prestigious

The DA was clearly thinking twice about Naz in her closing arguments with how much she paused between each sentence at the end. She could've had a retrial, but chose not to. I do think her arc was actually more complete than most of the other characters.

5. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

i think the ending fit the show quite well like anthony said. they were really trying to play up a very realistic tone to the whole ordeal, and sure while some things were still a bit overdramatized and a tad 'meh', i think it did a good job of what it was trying to accomplish.

i will also give this entire experience a B...maybe B+. I was definitely VERY excited for tonight and was pretty thoroughly engaged the whole time.

Anthony Brooks likes this.
  6. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Stellar ending. Very happy with this. Thought the first and the last episode were far and above anything in between.

Texas Flood likes this.
  7. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

I disagree with all most all of this.

Also I think if they did a better job of establishing how much time elapsed between the start and end of the show Naz's transformation in prison would have felt more real and earned.

8. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

marceting and OhTheWater like this.
  9. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues Supporter

I couldn't not laugh during the Chandra the drug smuggler scenes. Easily one of the stupidest things I've seen in a show in the last year, probably the stupidest HBO scene since Colin Farrell beat up the bully's dad in the TD season 2 opener.

One thing I did like was this scene - maybe I'm imagining it but it seemed like she finally realized there wasn't close to enough blood on the knife to be the murder weapon as she talked about Andrea being stabbed 22 times. Still annoys me that the most obvious evidence for Naz telling the truth was never addressed.

10. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I didn't finish yet!

EngineDown likes this.
  11. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

There was too much heavyhanded symbolism for you to surmise that Stone didn't change. Christ, the show ends on a symbol that he's "changed", so to speak, or at least that he will continue to fight for the helpless even if it's killing him. Or whatever, it was a bit clumsy.

12. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Realistic? No-nonsense? What do you call the Chandra/Naz scene? I'm not well versed on the actual proceedings of a courtroom, nor do I really care if a show is hyperrealistic, but both the depiction of the meeting with the judge and the final juror's statement seemed pretty off/cliche to me.

The Naz "changing" aspect of the show could have been the most interesting. The portrayal of American culture/oppression stripping away the freedom and innocence and self being of a person of color would have been an amazing thing to watch happen. I don't think that they handled the transformation very well. Yeah, I get he had to do what he did to survive, it just seems like we skipped over major, major moments of self doubt and agony and questioning that Naz probably went through. Or, maybe he didn't go through that turmoil and he was a dick and he's always been a dick. I don't know. There were a lot of elements to his character that could've been touched on more. After the first episode he was empty-vessel like. The stories of racism and bullying that came up regarding him in high school could've been dug at a bit more.

I wasn't expecting a shocking twist, I called the ending about 3 episodes ago in terms of him being exonerated but his innocence/life being soiled by what had happened. I wish it had been handled better.

13. EngineDown

formerly known as chill yoshi

The biggest issue I have with this is that as a limited series without the pressure of having to keep a status quo for the second season, this jumping the shark moment was entirely avoidable and instead they leaned fully in.

T.K. likes this.
  14. fronkensteen

Trusted

I thought the finale was great and is set up nicely for a second season if they decide to do it.

It wasn't perfect, but I would give it a solid B+ at least.

15. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

I think if there's a second series, it'll be independent of the first one.

16. domotime2

Is Naz and Chandra the 'jump the shark' moment everyone keeps talking about? I really had no issue with this. It was a soap opera way of having Chandras arc be the "naive lawyer who let her emotions get the best of her".

marceting likes this.
  17. fronkensteen

Trusted

I don't have an issue with Chandra and Naz either.

marceting likes this.
  18. domotime2

I loved the little things. I loved that awkward moment Naz had with his mom at the dinner table. I loved that 'awwww' moment when Naz was leaving Freddie in prison.

Basically I love Nazs entire storyline

Anthony Brooks likes this.
  19. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I mean simply using the "soap opera" modifier makes you aware how corny it was

20. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

I know Freddie was a boxer before prison but he looked terrible working that bag at the end.

Kyle is hk likes this.
  21. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Freddie's whole character baffled me and I wasn't really sure of his point in the story

22. EngineDown

formerly known as chill yoshi

i was gonna say the same thing haha

also, as far as the "jumping the shark" moment, if it wasn't the kiss it was certainly the ray reveal

23. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

or the second meeting that they have. I said "are you fucking kidding me" out loud

EngineDown likes this.
  24. domotime2

I chalk that up to time constraints. With more time and more episodes they could have developed her "inexperience" "puppy love" angle better. I thought the drug smuggling was worse than the kiss honestly

25. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

The drug smuggling is what I'm referring to. Time constraints shouldn't have been an issue. Like I said before, cut back on the foot bullshit. Cut back on the cat metaphors. Remove the hearse driver altogether etc. etc.

domotime2 likes this.