Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Night Game - The Night Game (September 7, 2018) Band • Page 7

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Ferrari333SP, Nov 16, 2017.

1. cricketandclover

Things have changed.

"Summerland" honestly really reminds me of this:

2. duritzfan13

all we have is time

For better or for worse, @Jason Tate's review really helped me dive into a certain mindset while listening to this the first time through. If anything, tapping into those emotions made this hit me even harder. "The Photograph" is really getting me right now. Absolute standout.

I agree with Jason that "Coffee & Cigarettes" would've made a perfect closer, but "Back In The Van" acts as almost an epilogue. A fresh start after a ton of reflection, and the idea of starting something new rather than dwelling on the past. At least that's how it feels to me. Can't believe they pulled off multiple key changes lol.. so cheesy on paper but I'm obsessed.

Justin Roux and Jason Tate like this.
  3. chelsealouanne

Regular

Well, my first listen is finally done. I can't believe I don't have to keep avoiding hearing the studio version of "Do You Think About Us?" or the live version of "Coffee and Cigarettes" that may accidentally autoplay while I have had The Night Game on.

It's as dreamy as I thought it would be, with backroads and summer sunsets. And loss. By the end of it, my heart ached for what Martin was searching for in his time of need in the process of creating this album that almost was never to be. This definitely can be reminiscent in the sounds of "Coffee and Cigarettes", but following it up with "Back in the Van", truly shows you the triumph and how he let music win his heart again, and for that, I think it is the perfect sequence and closing. As there are sports metaphors referenced throughout this project, I think it's safe to say the witer was cheering for themselves in that, as are us, the listeners.

I honestly have a big weekend ahead of me, and this may or may not help me get through it!

4. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

After one spin I really enjoy this. It’s weird to think how much I loved the first Boys Like Girls album when I was in college and coming to this today it gave me some chills as it feels parallel to think of Martin writing something more for my music taste of today.

Overall the album is sprinkled with 80’s sounds. Some strong Huey Lewis moments for me and other artists from that time which I love. It also gives off that cinema feel that instantly made me think of ‘coming of age’ films from the 80’s.

5. Theemoflamingo

Regular

I love this album so much thank you Martin

6. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

My vinyl came today. It’s so pretty and I will be listening to it with the lights off with an IPA on the porch starting now.

7. duritzfan13

all we have is time

This is my absolute AOTY right now.

The detail in these lyrics kill me. The bedroom he describes in "The Photograph," the sideways hug in "Coffee and Cigarettes." Just damn. Good lyrics always paint a picture in my head, but these songs especially are bringing me back to very vivid, specific memories I had with someone in the past. Wasn't really interested in revisiting them right now but here we are :crylaugh:

8. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Same story with me.... my first couple listens to the album got pretty emotional as I revisited memories of someone who was now in the past.

9. smowashere

Trusted Supporter

I love this album. Do You This About Us? is my favorite right now, what a song!

lostawholeyear and anonimito like this.
  10. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

“Back In The Van” is such a good way to send you out. Reminds me of a fun. song with its swing and the way Martin is singing.

11. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

Basically the Now Now record lol.

12. JamesMichael

Not sure if this has been posted but it's dope.

13. jorbjorb

7 rings

I think "Photograph" is shaping up to be my favorite from the record.

14. chelsealouanne

Regular

Honestly, when all we had were live versions, my favourite immediately was "Bad Girls Don't Cry", and alternating from that between "Do You Think About Us?", "The Photograph", "Die a Little" and "Back in the Van". But since the album dropped, I cannot stop thinking of "Coffee & Cigarettes" and "Summerland" - maybe because they are the most fresh as we heard pretty much everything else previously. I swear, "Summerland" was in my head all day yesterday when I didn't play it.

15. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

That summerland beat is dope

jorbjorb likes this.
  16. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

This is definitely a pleasant fall surprise for me. Didn't even know this band existed until last week. Cool to see Martin still in the business, and writing the best songs of his career.

It's too bad Scrubs is done, a lot of these songs would be perfect!

17. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

Damn this is SICK! So jealous of my brother. He saw Butch Walker in Denver yesterday, booked a VIP ticket to see The Early November on the 18th, and sees The Night Game on Halloween.

18. duritzfan13

all we have is time

The vocal performances on this album are so good. The way he says "don't you ever stop" in verse 2 of "The Photograph" hurtttssss

19. lostawholeyear

Regular Prestigious

Same :tear: the imagery on this album is pretty amazing. Very nostalgic feeling all the way through.

duritzfan13 likes this.
  20. JamesMichael

The Photograph and Coffee & Cigarettes both slay hard. They definitely both paint a picture whilst listening.

21. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

The Outfield is great but I lost interest after a few songs. I’ll finish it eventually

JRGComedy likes this.
  22. chelsealouanne

Regular

Yes! Favourite part of the song. There are so many moments throughout the album where a single line just crushes you just by his vocals.

beachdude and duritzfan13 like this.
  23. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

This album starts out strong then slays from Do you Think About Us? To the end. Can’t wait to unravel all the intricacies

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  24. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Die A Little is a jam. Very fun to sing along to

Matt Chylak likes this.
  25. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

This is definitely my go to for my nightly walks this week. Really loving it.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.