Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Night Game – The Night Game • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 5, 2018.

1. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

I didn’t listen to much BLG back in the day but it feels good to hear his voice again with the singles. Really fun write up, I’m really excited for this one.

Mr. Serotonin and anonimito like this.
  2. DutchDynamite

Don't live your life like a sad country song

Lovely review! Very excited for this. I love 'The Outfield'

Jason Tate and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  3. jackyjackyjack

Regular

The album sounds like it's going to be really great, but I just wish they hadn't released so many songs in advance.

4. GManNZ

What a great piece of writing, Jason. The capturing of the feeling of nostalgia is hard to put in words - and you nailed it. The catch in the throat, the scent in the air, the cascade of firsts that sometimes feel like lasts...I definitely don't want to live it again, but remembering with that filter is fun. Excited to hear the record too!

Jason Tate and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  5. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

This is superbly written, Jason. I didn't think it was possible to be more excited for this album, but after reading your thoughts, I was proven wrong. The feeling of nostalgic euphoria is one of the things that pulls me into music the most.

6. chilllll

Regular

i started reading the article before the title and didnt even realize it was a review til halfway! lol sold me on it. deff checkin it out today!

7. cricketandclover

Things have changed.

Felt like Jason stole Craig's brain on this one. ;-p

Really nice piece. Excited for the record.

DutchDynamite likes this.
  8. It was actually more like an iZombie situation. I hate some Craig brain and got to act like him for a bit. Hah.

DutchDynamite and Craig Manning like this.
  9. Thanks for giving it a read!

chilllll likes this.
  10. Thank you! I really appreciate that.

GManNZ likes this.
  11. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

They should greenlight this episode.

Jason Tate likes this.
  12. Haha, thanks man. Yeah, I think I realized why I got so burnt out/sick of/didn't read/didn't like writing album reviews for a while. I felt like I couldn't add anything unique to it. I felt like I could go into autopilot and write the same thing anyone, or any publication, could write and do. I don't find any of those that interesting to read, and even less interesting to put the time into writing. What excites me the most is the why I like something, why I like music, why something grabs me and something else doesn't. I think the "market" is pretty well served on the other type of review, and if people like that, it's easy to find lots of them. And, I even kinda dabble in it when I do a "first impression" — that's more about random thoughts and describing what the album sounds like to me to give people an idea of what to expect. But, for a longer "review" ... I dunno, I want there to be something more there. Something that does feel uniquely me. If I'm gonna throw my voice in I might as well actually make sure it represents me. If that makes any sense.

13. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I completely agree. It's part of the reason I don't write as many reviews anymore. Definitely part of the reason that I don't really read reviews anymore, too.

Jason Tate likes this.
  14. noxee

Regular Prestigious

@Jason Tate this was a fantastic review and I appreciate your approach of writing why you specifically feel the way you do about it. I don't read a lot of review so for me this approach gives more substance to what I'm reading and I found it quite evocative and even maybe me feel nostalgic/reflective on some of the topics you mentioned.

So thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Mr. Serotonin and Jason Tate like this.
  15. Thank you! That means a whole lot because that was exactly my goal!

noxee and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  16. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

I don't ever read reviews and I definitely never listen to music based on reviews but you have me bringing it up on spotify right now

Mr. Serotonin and Jason Tate like this.
  17. Jorah Price

music enthusiast

What a well written and excellent review Jason. Probably one of the best I've seen you write. I checked the few songs available the day you wrote this, and fell in love. Now that the album is out, I complete get it. My kids even love this album already. Well done Martin

FTank, Mr. Serotonin and Jason Tate like this.