Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The New Twitter @-Replies Suck

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Sarah Jeong, writing for Motherboard:

Twitter has rolled out its new @-replies to me about three or four times now, ambushing me with its unspeakable badness on the iPhone app or web Twitter. Today it rolled out for everyone and it makes me want to throw all my devices at a wall.

Thank god for Tweetbot, because this is horrible.

2. Schooner

Trusted

Seems to work fine for me.
    Will be good for the group live sport chats I sometimes get in when you end up with 5 ppl in it and you can only reply 3 words.

Glad it seems you can mute timeline words. Will be good for show spoilers and sports I'm not keen on

emeryk3 likes this.
  3. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

Thank god I only RT memes and, on the rare occasion I do tweet, get no replies whatsoever lmao. Twitter has been worse than Facebook for 12-18 months at least IMO, and Facebook is pretty terrible unless you are a smart, like me, who unfollows all lames in the TL.

4. heymattrick

Pool Boy at the Vampire Mansion

Threw me off at first, I like that it doesn't count towards the limit now however already I've replied to tweets and included people in the reply I meant to take off.

5. spencpants

Can I pet your dog? Prestigious

Hey @Jason Tate ... why is it terrible? Because it's new and you have to adjust? It's clean, straight-forward and allows for those few extra characters. I have no problems with it at all.

6. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Did you read the article?

Jason Tate likes this.
  7. spencpants

Can I pet your dog? Prestigious

You can (potentially) be @tweeted a billion times for no reason by spam bots.. Maybe because I'm not *famous* on the internet it doesn't hit me as hard, but I have to take an extra step to see tweets mentioning me by people I don't follow.. and I rarely think to do as much.

8. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

One of these days Jason, you're going to post about a piece of software that is not exclusive to Apple products. Until then, I will continue to rage when seeing you post really awesome applications only to find I can't run them on Windows / Android :concerned::brokenheart:

Jason Tate likes this.
  9. The article itself lays out the many ways the new thread views are horrible.

Zeynep (and other's) thread on the topic (if you can find out how to follow it via the web), lays out some other good places where the design fundamentally fails:

spencpants likes this.
  10. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

i'll say it again: im pretty sure twitter doesnt have design engineers

Raku likes this.