Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The New Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums List • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Craig Manning, Sep 22, 2020.

1. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Oh yeah of course lol.

Idk, they had some 2019 on there haha

2. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Fine Line came out 12/13/19 lol

3. I know but if I think they were including 2020 then folklore's omission will make my brain explode (and the inclusion of Harold without a peep about Niall Horan's latest, but I digress)

mattfreaksmeout and CarpetElf like this.
  4. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

HMMMM. Are you saying Niall's is on the same level as Fine Line? Haven't heard anything about his stuff

5. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Now this I did not expect! I love folklore, but I’m not even ready to decide where it lands on my TS ranking, let alone all-time. Pretty sure Red is always going to be my fav of hers, though.

6. PauLo

43% Burnt

Glad Donuts is on there.

Leftandleaving and CarpetElf like this.
  7. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

Also in the camp of people who loved the AP thread for the previous list, as well as being a person that thinks these are fun springboards for discussions. Not saying I agree or disagree either way, but I'm kind of surprised Emotion didn't sneak on here as one of the more recent inclusions.

Craig Manning likes this.
  8. Nobody on this earth was more surprised about this than me, trust me. I thought it was physically impossible.

9. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I'm happy to see, among others,Golden Hour, Blonde, Red, Weight of These Wings, Black Parade, Melodrama & Norman Fucking Rockwell (yes it deserves it) as far as newer picks (among others).

I love Fine Line a lot, but it is definitely kind of funny to have it on here. It's the definition of an album I listen to because it's a ton of fun, but not groundbreaking in any way. Billie Eilish feels like something that I could see going either way in 10-15 years when we look back on it. I understand including it though.

It's always a little funny when almost all a bands albums are included. Yes the Beatles are amazing idk if we need to say it 12 different times though. Would be more interesting to limit it to 3-5 albums from an artist max and open up more space for others.

As far as omissions, I think Janelle Monáe deserves better. And I'm not surprised but would've loved a Paramore album to sneak on. (And about 1000 others)

10. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

I feel like every Bob Dylan album was on here

11. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

This is so funny

12. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

my favorite pop album of all time

13. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

14. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

Blackout is amazing

15. Craig Manning

Golden Hour and Southeastern both sneaking in there were nice surprises.

Steeeve Perry likes this.
  16. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

illmatic went from No. 402 in 2012 to No. 44 today.

That’s a wild jump, haha.

17. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

It was 402 in 2012!!!?? good god i hope those people aren't still talking about music for a career.

StreetSpirit likes this.
  18. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Craig is right!

Aregala and CarpetElf like this.
  19. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

Honestly Craig usually is!

Aregala and cherrywaves like this.
  20. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

No Sufjan at all? Illinois or Carrie & Lowell should be on this list!

21. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Definitely Carrie & Lowell

22. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

I think if you are going to choose recent albums to put on here, a smaller artist or band putting out a fantastic record a la either of Big Thief's records from last year, either of the two Julien Baker/Phoebe Bridgers records, etc. would have been much cooler and made more sense. I like the Harry Styles record, it just isn't a record people called great/one of the greatest when it was released and as time has gone on.

Mary V and CarpetElf like this.
  23. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Lots of choices I strongly disagree with which is no shock. Strangely the one that made me double take most was New Day Rising being the Husker Du record. Alywas thought Zen Arcade was (rightly) considered the band's opus. I can listen to lo-fi all day (Zen Arcade included) but New Day Rising is just ear-bleedingly difficult to listen to, and it falls off a cliff after the first six songs. After that I only like Books About UFOs.

Another random thought: Tom Waits seems to have fallen off the radar a lot in the past decade. From 200-2011 he seemed like a major influence on music, from our favs like Brian Fallon to Modest Mouse and many more. He had two albums around the top 10 of the Pitchfork 80s list. his 2011 album is still AOTY on rateyourmusic. But as "indie" moved into a pop/RnB direction his stature has plummeted. Swordfishtrombones went from 11th to nowhere on the new P4k 80s list. Rain Dogs is criminally low here. I consider Waits' songwriting absolutely timeless but recent events are proving that not to be the case as far as "the culture" is concerned.

Finally, shocked to see a Rolling Stone list with Joshua Tree so low. Seems like the 100-200 range was where a lot of hugely influential 80s indie/alt-adjacent records landed (Disintegration, Daydream Nation etc etc)

Matt Chylak, CarpetElf and OhTheWater like this.
  24. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Absolutely agree, Pet Sounds has a few great songs but I've never thought it was incredible. Listening to Abbey Road, or Highway 61 Revisited, Born To Run, Purple Rain etc I liked them a lot more but also thought 'I can see why this is so revered'. Beach Boys I just don't get. Even when all the popular bands were like Grizzly Bear etc and obviously cribbed from Pet Sounds-era Beach Boys the album never clicked with me. I wonder if too much emphasis is put on the fact that album pushed The Beatles to new heights. But mostly I just wonder if it's because Pet Sounds is the USA's entry into the classic rock canon whereas so many of the great bands of that era from the Beatles and Stones to Led Zep etc etc were all from the UK...

25. Craig Manning

I said this on Twitter, but I do wonder what the "canon" will look like as lists like this continued to be remade 10, 20, 30 years into the future. As the history of recorded popular music continues to expand, it's harder to contain it in a list like this, and it seems like some artists just don't get as much love from younger generations. The hits Waits and U2 took on this list seem indicative of that, along with R.E.M., Billy Joel, and probably plenty of others. There are some staples that seem to get passed down from generation to generation pretty reliably, but others sort of fade. I wonder what will happen to the legacies of some of those artists as the years go on and more and more stuff from the 2000s and on filters onto these lists. I already think there's some insane recency bias going on with a few of these picks.