Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The New Mutants (Josh Boone, April 13 2018) Movie • Page 9

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Tim, May 11, 2017.

1. tomtom94

Trusted

From the RT page: "In a world where normal seems very abnormal indeed, to experience something middling feels surprisingly refreshing." That's a positive review lol

Anyway this all sucks because while I didn't ever think this would be a masterpiece I did think it could be interesting and different. For it to be shit on every level, to be a bad film, be idiotic with casting, and for the director to be a "cinemas are *totally* safe you guys" guy, is just really kind of depressing.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  2. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

3. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Lol Hollywood laziness continues to somehow surprise me.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  4. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Oh my gosh, everything around this is such a mess. How? Why?

coleslawed and RyanPm40 like this.
  5. Tim

6. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

And here I was thinking nothing could be worse than Origins: Wolverine

Victor Eremita likes this.
  7. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

This is so perfectly mediocre. Some stuff that’s kind of cool and some stuff where it felt like my eyes were going to roll out of my head. This is easily better than the first two Wolverine movies and the last two X-men movies.

This really could have been something, I bet, if it didn’t go through production hell.

8. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

wow. it's almost impressive how consistently they hire the worst fucking people to direct the X-Men movies. they've consistently managed to completely destroy my enthusiasm for this property I used to love with their constant bullshit

I will always love Logan, but miss me with the rest of this bullshit

RyanPm40 and awakeohsleeper like this.
  9. ghostedaway Aug 29, 2020
    (Last edited: Aug 29, 2020)
    ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

X-Men is one of my favorite things in the world so I did have a soft spot for this. It was fine. Not the worst, not the best. Josh Boone seems like a garbage person, and Sunspot should have been cast the right way. Some of the effects were really cool. Some cringe dialogue here and there. Wish they didn't make Magik racist to Dani for the first half. I'd be down to see Anya, Blu, and Maisie continue playing these characters in the MCU, but that won't happen.

Edit: And for those wondering, there's still a lot of horror elements in here.

10. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

good thread

11. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Probably telling that Anya Taylor Joy is posting trailers for her upcoming stuff and making no mention of New Mutants.

12. Lepi182

Trusted Supporter

This is almost exactly how I feel. It wasn't horrible, but by no means was it good. It was just there. Some cool visually interesting things, but the majority of the film is blah.

13. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

retweet this word for word

14. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

It was pretty much exactly what I expected. Anya as Magik was great and the horror elements were at the very least a fresh idea for a comic book movie. The rest was just whatever. Still nowhere near as bad as Origins, Apocalypse, or Last Stand though

Jdaniels likes this.
  15. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I'm actually surprised this even made $21 million so far.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  16. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Gave this a download because Magik is my fave mutant. Its certainly something. No one in this movie is capable of pulling off an accent.

17. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Jeez... this had some good ideas, but what a freaking dud. Demon Bear and Iliyanna were dope tho. Should have just kept it a straight horror movie and left it alone.

18. Tim

This hits Redbox in 8 days, & I’m 100% gonna rent it day one so I can finally see how much wasted potential it had.

On a more positive New Mutants note, excited for Vita Ayala to take over the monthly book, starting next month. Rod Reis, who drew Hickman’s issues, still on art. Gonna be dope. When handled well, these are just some of the best mutants Marvel has.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  19. Just watched this. Didn't hate, not great.

20. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

I thought this was fine. Thought Blu Hunt, Anya Taylor-Joy, and Maisie Williams were good. If you got rid of the racism, recast Sunspot, and put this in the hands of a director who isn’t a human trash bag I think it could’ve been a solid movie

Alba and ghostedaway like this.
  21. Tim

Whoo boy. Just finished watching this, & I unsurprisingly have... thoughts. Many of ‘em.

First of all, this is bad. I had a lot of fun watching it because there were some gold nuggets throughout it & because a lot of the bad was b-movie-good, but, yeah. Woof.

You can tell (especially if you’re looking for it) that this was prevented from getting regularly scheduled reshoots. Some of the editing was awkward, like they were missing just a little bit of coverage or whatever that they needed. I wonder if it would’ve felt smoother had this not entered corporate limbo for two years, or if they’d decided to just sneak in careful reshoots in spite of the actors’ ages.

You can also tell that the director is a fan of the source material. Though, not a particularly smart fan, lol. He had plenty of visual references, but the storytelling was a mess. And I mean that both internally & in comparison to the source material.

Speaking of storytelling, how did I get this far without finding out this was a secret Logan spinoff? lol. Maybe they only spliced in that footage of the kids from Logan because they were missing footage they intended to shoot, but it really feels like they saw Logan’s success & thought, “hey, let’s piggyback off of that!” Makes me wonder if whatever X-23 spinoff Mangold was supposedly developing early in the merger process would’ve tied into this franchise & led into something with Mister Sinister, maybe also tied into the Deadpool films.

Anyways. The one major shining star of this film was Maisie Williams as Rahne “Wolfsbane” Sinclair. She was the one cast member who was pretty consistently wonderful onscreen. Outside of some cringey attempts at religious horror (oh my gosh, those talking doors & that demon priest), when she showed up, the whole film lit up. I’ve always had a soft spot for Rahne, but this film actually elevated her for me.

Blu’s Dani was fine. Her chemistry with Rahne was delightful & the highlight of the film, but the rest was a little hit or miss. The opening with her dad felt like a mix between bad horror movie & CW. I did like enough about her to wish she’d get more.

Magik. Hm. I dunno. I love Anya Taylor-Joy, & I love Magik, & she looks like a perfect Magik (especially with the sword & armor). But, the choice to make her the stereotypical mean girl was weird & annoying. Some good stuff with her, but not a big fan overall.

Maybe having an English actor play Kentucky boy Cannonball was a bad idea? There was one moment with him that I rewound a couple times ‘cause he sounded hilarious.

Sunspot is supposed to be black (& the horny bro schtick was lazily written). Reyes, too.

While talking about things from the comics that were left out, to go back to the queer romance part... Y’know, one of the founding New Mutants was Xi’an Coy Manh, aka Karma, who’s canonically a lesbian. And, also Vietnamese, & Catholic. Maybe she could’ve fit into this film? I dunno. I’m biased, since I’m a big fan of that character, but whatever.

Anyways. New Mutants, y’all. RIP Fox Marvel Cinematic Universe. Read the comics.

Jdaniels, awakeohsleeper and Joe like this.
  22. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

I’ve held off on watching this so long because it’ll kill me to watch them butcher my favorite mutants.

Jdaniels, awakeohsleeper and Tim like this.
  23. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

24. Henry

Moderator Moderator

25. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Lol. Topping the FandangoNOW/Vudu charts does not make you a "sleeper hit." Also, hilarious that it has you click on a photo gallery for more information.

Jdaniels likes this.