Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The New Mutants (Josh Boone, April 13 2018) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Tim, May 11, 2017.

1. Tim May 11, 2017
    (Last edited: Apr 7, 2020)
    Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

The New Mutants is an X-Men spinoff film directed by Josh Boone (The Fault in Our Stars) currently slated for an April 13th, 2018 release. The film is said to have a "Stephen King meets John Hughes" style, centers on the young mutants Magik, Sunspot, Mirage, Cannonball, and Wolfsbane.

Anya Taylor-Joy (The Witch) and Maisie Williams (Game of Thrones) are signed on to play Magik and Wolfsbane, respectively. A leaked storyboard animatic seems to confirm an adaptation of Demon Bear.

2. Is this expected be finished in time for the release date? Less than a year doesn't seem like much time for a movie that's just getting cast. Then again, maybe I'm overestimating how long production takes on movies. Also, the THR article says "The movie is headed towards an early July start..." which makes the production schedule sound even tighter.

3. Henry

Moderator Moderator

It's so funny that they denied this for so long. lol

Tim likes this.
  4. Tim

Principal photography for Logan began in May and ended in August for a March release. This seems like it could be a relatively small production, so while tight, that might not be that crazy.

coleslawed and Joe like this.
  5. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

I already can't wait for the inevitable crossover with Sophie's Jean Grey.

6. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

There are few things than I love more than Magik.

Henry and Tim like this.
  7. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Interested.

8. EarlyMorningRiser

Keep on the sunny side.

Excited for this. Surely we'll get to see Karma and Magma too, love the demon bear rumor!

9. Tim

scottlechowicz likes this.
  10. Tim

Wait.

Is that rumored Sunspot actor fair skinned? The heck? Am I missing something?

Contender likes this.
  11. tucah

not champ Prestigious

Henry Zaga is Brazillian

12. Tim

[​IMG]

Is this Henry Zaga? If so, I'm glad they care about his nationality, but they kinda forgot about another very important detail: his race.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I get that a young mixed race Brazilian male may seem pretty specific, but his blackness is pretty important. Surely a big studio like Fox could find someone on this planet who better fits the character.

13. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

I like the idea of "full on horror" with no costumes or super villains.

Could be really cool. Also, I love this quote:

“You can’t have a bigger nerd or fan making this. It’s so important to me. I’m not the 12-year-old who decided to write Stephen King a letter and loved Marvel Comics anymore, but I try to hold myself accountable to that kid. Because that kid is what keeps me from becoming a Hollywood whore,” he says with a laugh. “I look back and think: Would he think this would be cool? Would he proud of me? Did I fulfill the dream we had when we were kids? So yeah, you can definitely say I’m excited.”

And the two leads have been really well cast. This is pretty firmly on my radar at this point.

mad and Tim like this.
  14. Tim

15. mad

I was right. Prestigious

This sounds like it has potential, too bad it's doing a #classichollywood with not properly casting a black character

Tim likes this.
  16. Jdaniels

Regular

Sunspot always looked Brazilian to me, they casted a Brazilian at least in decedence right so far as I'm concerned bring on more casting news.

17. Tim

18. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Teaser trailer tomorrow at 3 am New York time which huh

Contender likes this.
  19. EarlyMorningRiser

Keep on the sunny side.

Yes! Hoping for a little bit of a horror vibe.

20. Tim

Wonder if the trailer will show a good enough adaptation of one of my all-time favorite X-Men stories for my excitement to overshadow my lingering frustration with the Sunspot casting.

21. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

22. Tim

The trailer really doesn't tell me anything, which isn't a good thing for a film that I could see being either fantastic or awful. Like, anything between Logan and Fant4stic wouldn't surprise me. Hopefully the cast has personality.

Jdaniels likes this.
  23. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Without the Marvel logo or title I wouldn’t think this was about the New Mutants group. It’s a different take that seems pretty interesting.

24. Henry

Moderator Moderator

looks nutso. Maybe the whole thing takes place in Limbo? I'm not familiar with The New Mutants enough to figure it out. Could only figure out a few characters by their faces.

25. tucah

not champ Prestigious

Into the horror movie vibe, at least.