Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The New Music Thread Genre • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by OhTheWater, Jul 16, 2020.

1. OhTheWater Oct 14, 2020
    (Last edited: Oct 14, 2020)
    OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Woah, the Kath Bloom album from earlier this year is very, very good!

EDIT:
    Lol, of course it is. I got midway through the record before I realized that she is the same artist that gets played in Before Sunrise:

2. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

hi everyone the band i'm in has a private lil ep up on soundcloud as we shop it around...feel free to listennn

phaynes12 and OhTheWater like this.
  3. username

hey you lil piss baby

Completely mesmerized by the singles for this record

Cody and OhTheWater like this.
  4. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

way late on this but anything happen with it? listening now and it rules

5. Cody

Really appreciate u dude!!! Still failing at shopping it to any labels whatsoever so probably just gonna put it out ourselves and do a 3ep setup. First one (“city quarantine” inspired) comes out soon, just waiting to get a couple steps further in recording the second one (“rural quarantine” inspired). Third one is tentatively more computerized/pop inspired

phaynes12 and OhTheWater like this.
  6. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

idk since zack can be a weirdo but i know thomas (nassiff)‘s label that he co-owns has a few philly bands, might reach out to them

bad timing records is the name

Cody likes this.
  7. Cody

alright, i shot my shot. we'll see lol

phaynes12 likes this.
  8. username

hey you lil piss baby

This got a bnt on p4k a few days ago, really beautiful stuff

OhTheWater likes this.
  9. username

hey you lil piss baby

Very curious about this Ethel Cain EP coming out next month, this song rules

10. Cody

officially back in release mode. if anybody feels like making my band a little less unpopular, feel free to give a listen lol. first ep out in late may. second ep out in august, third by november...

OhTheWater and phaynes12 like this.
  11. username

hey you lil piss baby

Been coming back to this Satomimagae album from a few months ago a lot, especially when I’m reading in the evenings. Ambient acoustic singer-songwriter(ish) stuff out of Japan. Grouper is typically the first thing that comes to mind for me.

The Mustafa record from a couple weeks ago is also a must hear. Some sort of r&b/folk hybrid. Contributions from Sampha, Jamie xx, James Blake. This song in particular is something really special.

OhTheWater likes this.
  12. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Yeah that Mustafa song is really incredible

13. OhTheWater Jun 11, 2021
    (Last edited: Jun 11, 2021)
    OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

This is going to kill me until I find it. Remember Party Supplies who produced the Action Bronson Blue Chips tape? He had an 80s pop song that I thought was called "Dancing on the Ceiling" or "Dancing on the Sidelines" or something like that but I can't find it anywhere. It wasn't off of their album either (which was very good and reminds me of a lot of what Jack Antonoff is doing with Bleachers)

EDIT:
    What the fuck happened to Party Supplies? I can't find anything on either member post like 2016

14. username

hey you lil piss baby

This was on the GvB mid-year list. One of the best pop tunes I've heard this year.

OhTheWater likes this.
  15. username

hey you lil piss baby

Stipped down singer-songwriter stuff out of New Zealand. "Quiet Shore" and "Homage" are especially good.

Seance, by Maxine Funke

Band featuring King Krule's brother and others from his band/inner circle. Hard to pindown the sound, it sounds kind of grotesque and like something out of pub in a Lynchian dimension but then tracks like "Lagoon" are pretty straightforward catchy pop rock. Last track has King Krule on it and basically just sounds like something off his last record.

OhTheWater likes this.
  16. cherrywaves

Trusted

Listening now, sounds good to me

17. username

hey you lil piss baby

I made a thread for this one when it came out but I really should have just posted it in here lol. Broadly speaking it probably falls under the "indie rock" umbrella but its definitely pulling from like chamber pop and folk and a bit of psych vibes and it also has some jazzy elements too. Reminds me most often of a cross between Cate Le Bon and Destroyer.

18. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

I can see I'm late to Faye Webster bc she already has a lot of acclaim by the big outlets, but this song immediately became one of my favorites of the year