Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The New Alternative Music Festival (Presented by Don Giovanni Records) Festival

Discussion in 'Tour Forum' started by cwhit, Jun 1, 2016.

1. cwhit Jun 1, 2016
    (Last edited: Jun 9, 2016)
    cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

This fall, Don Giovanni Records will host The New Alternative Music Festival: three days of music without multi-nationals.

The concerts will take place September 16th - 18th at the Convention Hall in Asbury Park, NJ. Care has been taken to keep the ticket price as low as possible. Individual tickets will be sold for $28 in advance and $30 at the door, with a three-day pass available for $75. The shows will be all ages. NAMF is a one-time-only event and will not be repeated in subsequent years.

Who will be there: Antibodies, Aye Nako, Daniel Bachman, Big Eyes, Mal Blum, California X, Chain And The Gang, Nato Coles, Downtown Boys, Dusk, Dyke Drama, Giant Peach, Girlpool, Izzy True, Jamie Kilstein and The Agenda, Kindling, Amy Klein, Longings, Mikey Erg, Mirah, Moor Mother Goddess, Nude Beach, Ought, Outer Spaces, P.S. Eliot, Painted Zeros, Pinkwash, Puff Pieces, Radiator Hospital, Roadside Graves, Sammus, Screaming Females, Shellshag, Laura Stevenson, Tenement, The Max Levine Ensemble, The Rememberables, Trophy Wife, Try The Pie, Upset, Vagabon, Worriers + MORE ANNOUNCED SOON

Who will not: Multi-national corporations.

The New Alternative Music Festival is not just a concert it is also an intentional event. It's an attempt to gather together bands with diverse sounds, but common values. The performers are independent artists without ties to major labels or corporate music distribution. There will be no sponsors, no backdoor advertising via branded content, or other base money-making schemes.

This is a pro-weirdo event held in direct opposition to the apolitical sludge that has come to pass as "indie" and that has nothing to do with operating independently. Where many festivals reflect critical acclaim, the NAMF lineup is meant to reflect a community. In addition to making great music, many of these artists are involved because they are peers, tourmates, and friends.

Why do we need a new alternative? In recent years, the words "alternative" and "independent" have lost much of their meaning. In the past, these terms might have indicated a willful rejection of mainstream sensibilities and business practices. Today they have come to signify the quirky and the benign.

The New Alternative Music Festival is an attempt to retake lost ground. For three days, it will seek to create a space for music to be heard without commercial interruption.

2. cwhit

Day by day lineup:

DAY 1 - 9/16 - CONVENTION HALL
    This pass is good only for Convention Hall on 9/16 - California X, Dusk, Dyke Drama, Giant Peach, Izzy True, Kindling, Longings, Moor Mother Goddess, Nude Beach, Ought, P.S. Eliot, Pinkwash, The Rememberables, Sammus, Screaming Females, Tenement

DAY 2 - 9/17 - CONVENTION HALL
    This pass is good only for Convention Hall on 9/17 - Antibodies, Aye Nako, Mal Blum, Nato Coles and The Blue Diamond Band, Downtown Boys, Electric Trip, Girlpool, Jamie Kilstein and The Agenda, Amy Klein, Outer Spaces, Sex Stains, Shellshag, Laura Stevenson, Try The Pie, Upset, Vagabon

DAY 3 - 9/18 - CONVENTION HALL
    This pass is good only for Convention Hall on 9/18 - Daniel Bachman, Basement Benders, Big Eyes, Brick Mower, Groucho Marxists, The Hotelier, The Max Levine Ensemble, Mikey Erg, Mirah, Nervous Triggers, Painted Zeros, Puff Pieces, Radiator Hospital, Roadside Graves, Trophy Wife, Worriers.

3. cwhit

Going to be listening to all the bands I don't know: gonna do little blurbs for all maybe.

4. cwhit

Listened to California X's Nights In The Dark. Started more Weezer/Rozwell kid but moved into something a lot darker and spacier, like this a lot. Reminds me of Spirit of the Beehive but a lot more upbeat at times

5. cwhit

I heard Dyke Drama at the Beach Slang show, knew the G.L.O.S.S background. it's alright, catchy power poppy pop punk. prob won't listen to it much but they were solid live

6. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Really want to go to this but can't decide which day or if I want to bite and just go all 3.

7. cwhit

i have all three! should definitely come! maybe actually see me!

VanMastaIteHab likes this.
  8. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Haha yeah sorry about that, broken world was a shitshow for me. I'm pretty sure I saw you a few times but I was with a big group and very drunk that entire weekend so I never said hi. Had a great time, but I'll be doing this fest very differently if I end up going. :P

cwhit likes this.
  9. cwhit

hahahaha. almost did a more direct call out but i'm glad you got my subtle reference ;-p
    this should be a blast! gonna listen to some more bands today, i've heard of most of these names but never spent the time to listen to their recorded material because often it's just worth seeing these bands live

VanMastaIteHab likes this.
  10. cwhit

giant peach sort of comes through the school of ovlov or pope, like this a lot. really fuzzy music with some great lead guitar parts

11. mgiannotti

edge mike Supporter

Hell yeah, I live 5 minutes away from Asbury.

I love that you're doing write ups for all the bands on here. I added over 30 bands from this lineup into my phone from Apple Music, but haven't gotten around to listening to much of them, so keep it up!

12. cwhit

I've fallen back from doing it, I'll get back into it again. Maybe i'll do some for the ones I already know and love in the meantime

13. cwhit

Kindling is pretty good, has that Pity Sex thing going on.
    Longings is upbeat punky noise rock with some cool lead guitar stuff going on. dig it. actually getting better as it goes on. a little samey, but sort of has a white lung thing going on (with a little less shredding and other aspects aren't quite as good), but i'm really liking this listen

14. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

Would love to go to this, but I just cannot afford to stay at a hotel.

15. cwhit

i'm going with a friend who lives in jersey, may be staying at her place. not entirely sure yet though

i don't like nude beach at all, really sort of beachy power pop, but missing the aspects i most like about it

16. marsvoltamcr Jun 9, 2016
    (Last edited: Jun 9, 2016)
    marsvoltamcr

Trusted

To be fair, I prefer the quirky and benign alternative that they speak of

Just kidding around. This looks cool.

17. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

I'm moving into a new place around this time, but I'm about 45min-hour out from asbury. Assuming I have enough room in the new place and you can rent a car, you can possibly stay with me. I'll keep in touch.

18. cwhit

45 hours?!?!?! that's quite the drive!
    are you going to this craig? hopefully not just for hotelier, all three days are amazing

19. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

Was thinking of only going for hotelier. Gotta check out the rest of the bands before commiting to more than that.

20. cwhit

i can give you 15 great bands on here if you want

21. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

Do it. I've probably only listened to 4-5 of these already (Laura Stevenson, Screaming Females, Mikey Erg, Hotelier and Girlpool)

22. mgiannotti

edge mike Supporter

A bunch of really awesome locals are playing too (Fortune Yeller, Teenage Halloween, Secret Mountain). Amy Klein (ex-Titus Andronicus) released her album today and it's really, really good. Not to mention P.S. Eliot is back together for this.

I also live 5-40 minutes away from this (depending on if I'll be at home or at school) and have a place for anyone to crash if they need a place.

Cody Nelson likes this.
  23. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Woah, did not know Teenage Halloween was on this. Good for them, really nice dudes and super talented for how young they are.

24. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

Alright, buddy, I'm coming. Just got plane ticket. Spending a week in the NYC/Asbury area. I better see you at some point.

25. cwhit

hooooly shit, gonna be a party. we're making this happen

Cody Nelson likes this.