Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Neville Brothers Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Wharf Rat, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

The Neville Brothers is an American R&B/soul/funk group, formed in 1977 in New Orleans, Louisiana.
    The group notion started in 1976, when the four brothers of the Neville family, Art (born 1937), Charles (b. 1938), Aaron (b. 1941), and Cyril (b. 1948) got together to take part in the recording session of The Wild Tchoupitoulas, a Mardi Gras Indian group led by their uncle, George Landry ("Big Chief Jolly").

Art Neville reached out to Paul Howrilla (personal manager for Dr. John) and told him that he always wanted to do something with his brothers. Paul Howrilla created Neville Productions, Inc., serving as president and CEO with all four Neville brothers as members of the board of directors. The newly formed business covered the entire Neville family, designed to protect them from the music business abuse they had previously endured in their individual careers.

This experience led them to form the group the following year. Their debut album was released from Capitol Records in 1978. It included "Bird on a Wire".

cshadows2887 likes this.
  2. Wharf Rat

The OG Neville Bros Album:

A fav album:

An "associated act:"

An Aaron solo song that rips:

cshadows2887 likes this.
  3. Wharf Rat

cshadows2887 likes this.
  4. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

They're actually an area where I'm lacking. I like that Wild Tchoupitoulas album and Aaron's last solo album he made with Keith Richards but I've never heard anything from the brothers

5. cshadows2887

Not ironic or nostalgic, this is actually an excellent song (not uncommon for Henson productions):

Wharf Rat likes this.
  6. Wharf Rat

Gotta admit I'm not super well versed either but I love Tchoupitoulas, Yellow Moon, Uptown, that Keith Richards album, a couple Meters albums and there's one live album my dad had. But I dig it all a bunch. A NOLA staple. Huge carriers of the tradition through the 70s and 80s

cshadows2887 likes this.
  7. cshadows2887

How were they involved with the Meters? I love the 3 albums I've heard from them

8. Wharf Rat

They're Art Neville's band haha

9. cshadows2887

Jesus. Clearly have not done enough research on them outside of listening to and loving the records. Whoops

Wharf Rat likes this.